Official Rampage Extreme Review/Overclock/Guide Thread

Soldato
Interesting,

Rampage Extreme 0501 BIOS
Fix Load-Line Calibration function error

403/ 404 were betas.

Memory issues i presume not sorted, or the USB problem

To flash or not to flash is the question.

Could this be the fix for the voltage problems associated with Bios 404?

thanks for the heads up Rd

Edit: ES on line, One user testing 501 Bios awaiting update on the thread

Last edited:
Associate
Ummmm seems the 501 bios still hates memory from what i have seen on other forums.

this is leaving me worried as to what to get in the way of 2x2 kit?

Associate
Some updates from here.
A couple of days ago i installed a new Rampage Extreme. This is shipped with the 301 Bios!
His behavior with voltages is very different from my previous board, this need more Vdimm and NB volts and less Vcore and VTT volts for the same stability. But i must add that in this latter board i do not have made almost none cooling mods, only 2 washers below NB. (Still waiting the cooling kit from Enzotech and Thermalright)

Associate
ASUS Rampage Extreme LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

2x ASUS EAH4870X2/HTDI/2G Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Yorkfield 3.2GHz 12MB L2 Cache

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1800C8DF - Retail

3x Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA

ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Retail

Above is my planned build - what do you all think? I reposed the build log from earlier on in the thread because I changed from a Q9650 to a QX9770 and I also need your thoughts on CPU Coolers

Right now i'm in between OCZ Vendetta 2, Xigmatek HDT-S1283, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, Sunbeamtech Core-Contact Freezer, Zerotherm FZ120

Cob

Cob

Soldato
I think you'd be ****ing nuts to spend £900 on a processor right now when the brand new architecture is due out in a couple of months.

Associate
I think you'd be ****ing nuts to spend £900 on a processor right now when the brand new architecture is due out in a couple of months.

I will be getting the proc for a very reasonable price...offer i can't refuse...otherwise what do you think of everything else and do you have a recommendation of cpu coolers

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Would need to be a very very good price since its resale value will drop like a stone once i7 hits the market.

Everything else looks grand. And personally I would go for the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.

Soldato
Hi was thinking about getting this memory

Has anyone here used it? and if so any problems?

Smirnoff posted the following GSkill modules are compatible (see post No1 of thread).

Thread contributors who are using either of these modules, i am sure will give you feedback regarding performance ect

G.Skill 2GB (2x1GB) DDR3 1600Mhz

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...GB) CAS7 Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL7D-2GBHZ)

G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600Mhz

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...GB) CAS7 Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL7D-4GBHZ)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...GB) CAS7 Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL7D-4GBPI)

Some updates from here.
A couple of days ago i installed a new Rampage Extreme. This is shipped with the 301 Bios!
His behavior with voltages is very different from my previous board, this need more Vdimm and NB volts and less Vcore and VTT volts for the same stability. But i must add that in this latter board i do not have made almost none cooling mods, only 2 washers below NB. (Still waiting the cooling kit from Enzotech and Thermalright)

Are you going to update from the 301 Bios? The need for more vdimm, NB bridge volts including VC and VTT V+. (This is a Bios issue)

Are you able to update regarding performance and testing of this board in comparison to the previous board before the RMA? As you mentioned the RAM problems with the blue slots

Last edited:
Associate
Smirnoff posted the following GSkill modules are compatible (see post No1 of thread).

Thread contributors who are using either of these modules, i am sure will give you feedback regarding performance ect

G.Skill 2GB (2x1GB) DDR3 1600Mhz

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...GB) CAS7 Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL7D-2GBHZ)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...GB) CAS7 Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL7D-4GBHZ)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...GB) CAS7 Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL7D-4GBPI)

Are you going to update from the 301 Bios? The need for more vdimm, NB bridge volts including VC and VTT V+. (This is a Bios issue)

Are you able to update regarding performance and testing of this board in comparison to the previous board before the RMA? As you mentioned the RAM problems with the blue slots

Thanks for that reply, that has sort of put my mind at rest :D

Soldato
Will do as soon as i get this bucket of bolts up and running :D

Will you be updating to Bios 501?

I am unsure of this Bios as feedback appears this bios update alters NB GTL settings for some unknown reason. Vcore V+ has also become a problem as showing incorrectly. The are reports of incorrect temps via real temp when using this new Bios.

I was also unaware of any LLC issues, as i have not seen any reported?

Stick with 403?

Asus is darn frustrating with their half cocked Bios updates:mad:

Associate
Hi guys,

In relation to the problems I was having... I am getting none of them (apart from the Enermax Aurora preventing system from booting) since re-flashing BIOS 0403. My overclock is back and stable and the temperatures are fine - especially so since I have found out how to adjust the fan speed on both of my 4870X2's - no more high ambient case temperatures for me!

So, I won't be sending the motherboard back. I'm happy with it... for now...

Associate
My conclusions about the voltages are on 403 Bios, not 301. In exactly the same conditions and with the same Bios, in this second mobo i need more NB and Vdimm and less Vcore and Vtt. I have not yet tested the 501 bios, for lack of time.

Associate
if i was you i would not get a qx9770 i have 2 here and neither of them will go over 490 fsb and these are (es) i am getting better results of e8600 and e8500 both doing well over 600 fsb and the retails are a lot cheaper +the qx9770 runs veryvery hot no good for air o/c or w/c better of waiting for retail neths they leave them in allways

Associate
Hi All,

I know this is a bit of a daft question (but im good at those :D),
can anyone give me there thoughts on the sound card that come with this mobo? Would there be any improvement in buying the Xonar? Dose the supplyed sound card suffer with Snap crackle and pop?

Back
Top Bottom