Good Quality Surge Protector?

Associate
Hi,

having just read another post regarding thunder storms and none starting PC's I was wondering what surge protectors people are using. I already have one, which albeit isnt the best ever to grace the earth but it is a surge protector none the less but having just upgraded some much needed components was thinking I should upgrade to a better surge protector. More plugs the better. Don't really need one with fancy lights on it etc but something that does the job. Any specific brands I should look at?

Cheers

B

Permabanned
A UPS is even better. A surge protector does not protect against brown outs which can also damage electronics.

Permabanned
Brown outs can occur anytime, nothing to do with storms. You said you don't have £100 to spend but how much is your PC and monitor worth?

Permabanned
A PSU can store enough energy to provide a stable output for a few MS but not not surge, spike or prolonged brown out protection. Reason why UPS's exist (or cheaper surge/spike main strips)

Soldato
You know a surge protector losses the protection after loads of small surges or 1 big surge, well is that the case for UPS too? But with a UPS surges goes into the batteries.

Permabanned
You know a surge protector losses the protection after loads of small surges or 1 big surge, well is that the case for UPS too? But with a UPS surges goes into the batteries.
No, it is not the case - the "in" end of the UPS can take huge voltages and currents. Whatever you put into it, it modulates the power.

Permabanned

If a power surge knackers your UPS battery then the UPS isn't dong it's job, the voltage adjustment AVR thing should correct that.

Back
Top Bottom