The first reviews of Intel's new SSDs are in

Soldato
Clever move by Intel:confused:. Release a £400 SSD drive at the start of a worldwide economic slowdown. At least prices will drop fast and existing slower SSD's will plummet.

Associate
these looks very nice, i'm sure early next year when intel release their high-end ssd's there will be more high-end competition at a lower price as ocz core v2 is a lot slower than these.

Lets just hope MS make a generic ssd driver so that all works better, some things switched off by default like system indexing as there is no spin up time needed on an ssd, i'm sure they will tweak default block sizes and things too.

Soldato
OP
And in terms of that NCQ thing, it is useless for SSDs in the way we know it, so you cannot use that as an argument. NCQ is just a term describing the strategic queing of reads, it's totally useless in the current sense of the word because the current technology does this to optimize for platters, this is Intels own SSD version of it. Don't take things out of context.

You did read the reviews right? :confused: You should apply for a job at Intel fella. It sounds like they could use your unique insight into NCQ with SSD's ;)

Clever move by Intel. Release a £400 SSD drive at the start of a worldwide economic slowdown.

No brilliant move by Intel!
Intel are a major player and they will get the SSD market moving. Regardless if you buy Intels SSD or not, this will force the other manufacturers to up their game and lower prices. Competition from a major player always benefits the consumer.

Associate
You did read the reviews right? :confused: You should apply for a job at Intel fella. It sounds like they could use your unique insight into NCQ with SSD's ;)
Yes i did read the review, and obviously got a bit more than you did ;)
Your stupid comment was obviously aimed at the people saying that the current NCQ is completely useless for SSDs, which they are. The current system queues up commands based on file positions on the platters. I have no idea how the new system for SSD works but obviously it queues it up in another way, as there are no longer platters to account for.

Soldato
OP
Yes i did read the review, and obviously got a bit more than you did ;)

...I have no idea how the new system for SSD works but obviously it queues it up in another way, as there are no longer platters to account for.

Well then this might help

According to Intel, its SSDs are so fast that NCQ helps to compensate for latency encountered in the host PC. Even today's fastest systems take some time (time is relative in the microsecond world of the SSD) between when a request is completed and another one is issued. Queuing up multiple requests can keep a solid-state drive busy during this downtime, and the X25-M is capable of stacking requests 32 deep.

Associate
According to Intel, its SSDs are so fast that NCQ helps to compensate for latency encountered in the host PC. Even today's fastest systems take some time (time is relative in the microsecond world of the SSD) between when a request is completed and another one is issued. Queuing up multiple requests can keep a solid-state drive busy during this downtime, and the X25-M is capable of stacking requests 32 deep.

Yup. I think this also links in with the queuing of write commands so that when a write occurs it contains more data than the minimum block size, thus increasing the life of the flash. Damn Intel have some clever engineers :)

Soldato
OP
Not at all

1) I'm not actually arguing with you, but if it makes you feel better then assume I am
2) What was your point exactly?
3) My opening post had nothing much to do with what you came up with later which was

And in terms of that NCQ thing, it is useless for SSDs in the way we know it, so you cannot use that as an argument.

...We, being you.

I assumed no such thing as to how they worked and never compared them to their HD implementation. You just assumed that was my viewpoint when actually I'm fully aware NCQ can be implemented in a number of ways

Hence my opening post poking fun at all those who say it's pointless. Now we have a SSD that has a useful implementation of NCQ.

Associate
Hence my opening post poking fun at all those who say it's pointless. Now we have a SSD that has a useful implementation of NCQ.

Exactly the point, everyone who has said that it is completely useless so far have been completely right - the NCQ that we all know and have read descriptions of is designed for mechanical harddrives. The fact that Intel uses the same word for a new technology really isn't that logical.

Edit: Let's drop this though, i really appreciate you posting reviews and i'm really looking forward to these things, that must be the most important point :D

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Looks god - would like one as a boot drive and move my Veloci to a dedicated gaming drive :)

Associate
Looks interesting, however the day computer cases come with SSD bays by default, with click and swap... that's when I'll be getting some.

Don't get me wrong though, SSD is, or will be fantastic and should finally bring up read/write speeds and make your PC seem much faster, by this I mean we upgrade year after year but HDDs remain relatively the same. Hopefully SSD will change that eventually!

XD-3

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Ive been holding out for a few of these for my laptop and new PC build.

What flavours are they due in? just 80 / 160 X25-M ?

Also when is the pre-ordering going to availble :cool:

Andy

Back
Top Bottom