Official Rampage Extreme Review/Overclock/Guide Thread

Associate
I had to use the drivers from the CD as the ones on the Internet from the Asus.com support site did not work for me. The Asus InstALL software is pretty good .

Associate
Hi guys, new to overclocking and the rampage

Hi guys. How are you all doing?

I am wondering. I am pretty new to overclocking, I have not done it for a couple computer builds.
Since this is a huge Rampage Extreme thread with a lot of people with great knowledge of it, I am wondering what kind of speeds I should be expecting from the new system I just built.

I have a Q9550 CPU with Thermaright TRUE Black heatsink/2x120mm antec fans on it and arctic silver 5 paste.
Cooler Master HAF case with 3x220mm fans and a 120mm fan it. Great airflow.
OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600
2x Velociraptor raid 0 drives
4870x2.

Currently I am running the system at 3.613 mhz, 425mhz bus speed
Attached are cpuz and asus probe etc info on my system.
It runs rock solid at this speed but I cant get passed the feeling that I am not getting enough out of it.
It will not pass the new intel cpu burn in program but will run all day with 3D renders and gaming going on.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks a lot

Soldato
Welcome to the forum wsgroves.

From your figures your NB is at 1.34v at 42o. I would raise your NB in + increments. To find stability. Ideally the NB temp should not exceed 70 or instability will set in ie reboots and BSODS.

For accurate temp monitoring over the 4 cores real temp would be ideal as it reads directly off the CPU temp die. Latest version 2.70 below

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Intel temp burn is a good program and will show up failure instantly. You can also use prime 95 (32 bit)

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

64 bit:

ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/

the file name is p64v256.zip

I am unsure of your OS as it is not noted in your post.

Last edited:
Soldato
Update for the Swiftech NB block for the Ramp Extreme Officially released as from the 11/9/08 Further info http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3284832#post3284832

http://www.swiftech.com/products/MCW-NBMAX.asp

The MCW-NBMAX is a North Bridge waterblock designed in collaboration with the Asus® Corporation as an alternative to their "Fusion" waterblock. It primarily features:

* Removable 1/4" BSPP fittings allowing the use of 1/2", 3/8" or 1/4" tubing (shipped with 1/2" and 3/8" chrome plated brass barb fittings).
* Unrestricted water chamber to minimize pressure drop in high-flow applications and promote better overall system thermal performance.
* A sober design matching that of current Swiftech high-end waterblocks such as the Apogee GTZ.

Motherboard Compatibility & Retention mechanism

The MCW-NBMAX is compatible with the Asus Maximus II formula, and the Rampage Extreme; it is also expected to be compatible with upcoming high-end Asus motherboards that will feature the Fusion water-block in removable version. Here is an example of installation with the Asus Maximus II Formula:

MCW-NBM2FX400X600.gif

Last edited:
Associate
Got Mu RE about 3 weeks ago.

Looked and waited memory for a 2 Weeks.
In Estonia Prices are higher and availability is not so good.
Only Corsair, Adata, Kingston and OCz are main names.
Wanted to buy 2*2GB Adata DDR3 Extreme 1600 7-7-7-20.
But There weren't any and others were with much higher price.
And finaly I got 4*1G Adata 1600 7-7-7-20.

Sad thing is, that day after I got my memorys I found this forum tread
and the first thing I noticed, that Adata is not good choice on RE :(:mad:

And right it is. 2*1G working fine (even @ 1700+ MHZ 7-7-7-20 1T 1,82V)
But no go 4*1G.

But I love This board.
Today tested friends proken E8400 with FSB 601MHZ
(E8400 don't like voltage any more. even slightest Voltage inc. def. voltage and BSOD)
Everything on auto and Memory strap 333MHz.

Nice :D

Associate
ok, you say to up my NB voltage, its currently at 1.34. how many increments should i up it. start at 1.4 maybe? or is that too high.

thanks

edit, ok I changed the nb voltage from auto to 1.38 just to test. my monitor says it is till running at 1.34. shouldnt it of changed to 1.38 after taking it off of auto?

Last edited:
Soldato
ok, you say to up my NB voltage, its currently at 1.34. how many increments should i up it. start at 1.4 maybe? or is that too high.

thanks

edit, ok I changed the nb voltage from auto to 1.38 just to test. my monitor says it is till running at 1.34. shouldnt it of changed to 1.38 after taking it off of auto?

1.4v is fine. Which Bios version are you using?

Soldato
Motherboard Compatibility & Retention mechanism

The MCW-NBMAX is compatible with the Asus Maximus II formula, and the Rampage Extreme; it is also expected to be compatible with upcoming high-end Asus motherboards that will feature the Fusion water-block in removable version. Here is an example of installation with the Asus Maximus II Formula:

What about the Rampage Formula?

Associate
Looking for help!!

I have just Re-Built my new build by replacing my P5E3 Premium with this board (Rampage Extreme) because my memory just would not work with it no matter what I tried to set, just kept freezing on me, a common problem I believe with a hell of allot of people.

Well got this board up and running with my memory (spec to follow) all seem to be working fine until I got the BSOD. I am able to run prime for about 15-20mins before it BSOD on me.

I am a complete noob when it comes to tweaking/ocing and would like some experienced advice, my memory is not listed as supported but it has Micron chips.

Rampage Extreme 301 and 403 bios, running 403
Q9550
OCZ 2GB DDR3 PC3-12800C7 1600MHz Intel Extreme XMP (4x1GB) Link
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler

I am running the memory @ XMP Profile#1 7.7.7.28 1T 1.9v the [email protected] and the [email protected] all other settings are determined by the XMP profile & the CPU [email protected]. @ load in prime my cores average about 64c (Seems Hot, I use Artic Silver 5 Tim)

The Quad is running @ 3.2Mhz pre determined by the XMP profile, all other settings are AUTO, as you can see I am running a Air only cooled system, I hope I have not been to vague with my settings, and hope that one of you pro's!! can help me out.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
Will put it through Memtest overnight (Tonight).

Managed to get the system stable for well over four hours in Prime, with these settings,

NB 1.343v
SB 1.5v (AUTO)
CPU 1.91v
CPU PLL 1.707v (AUTO)
CPU VTT 1.197v (AUTO
DDR 1.925v
Ram 7.7.7.28 1T (Default)

Im getting CPU clock speeds of 3003.2Mhz @ A Bus Speed of 400 & a 7.5 Multiplier.

Rated FSB 1601Mhz

A.I Performance, Light

Not sure if Some settings are too high or Low, but I cannot get above x7.5CPU Multiplier? When I set it higher than that, windows will not load and the system just keeps looping.

Can you see where I am going wrong?

And also are the memory timings (Default) any good?

Thanks for your help Smirnoff!! I am slowly learning how things work.;)

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
CPU voltage is way to high, Should be 1.45 max

CPU PPL is to high around 1.51v should be fine

CPU VTT is to low set it to 1.30v

NB is to low you'll need 1.45 plus I'd say that why your having problems booting into windows when you set a higher multi, Also try a different NB strap aswell as it can be a bit hit and miss with which strap works with which mem divider.

Associate
Cheers Smirnoff, will give them a go and report back my findings with those settings and Memtest. If all works out then this memory will also be good with the Mobo?

Also got my CPU volts wrong they are 1.184 not 1.91:eek:

Thanks!!!

Whats a good program to tell me the temp of my NB?

Permabanned
OP
I need to work out what CPU i'm going to be using in the final build of my system along with this board

QX9650 400x10 or 400x10.5 easy as i'll only need 1600Mhz memory

Q9650 500x9 I have had little luck in getting memory to run stable at 2000Mhz which is what I need to go this route.

Anyone got any thoughts on the matter ?

Back
Top Bottom