Is this new Hindu school funded by taxpayer's money?

Man of Honour
well in effect atheism is a belief of non-belief, as tefal said, there is no-proof either way, and as i am a scientist, you need proof for it not to be a theory/belief. Theory on human existence, the big bang etc, are no different to saying it is a belief, or reversing it and saying a god that created it is a 'theory'

Obviously a god creating stuff is not a theory, because theories are based on current facts, not books written by technologically disadvantaged people.

I've partially forgotten what my point was so I'll let others work out if there was one.

It has nothing to do with books.As said above. It could be a totally unacknowledged deity.
A scientist will keep all doors open until data doesn't fit it. Therefore all true scientists will be agnostic.

Permabanned
You're falling into the trap that the relgius books being disproven disproves a creator, the creator can be completely unacknowledged, and seperate from religion.

Which is what makes it so hard to say eithrer way a there is (currently) no way we can prove the universe wasn't created, and no way to prove that it wasn't.

Laziness is the new religion \o/

Good point there. I hate subjects that are down to opinion, give me maths any day. Only 1 answer, and if theres more than one it's either curved or you missed some brackets :p

Laziness can never be a religion though, as my mother never goes to church, never prayers (to my knowledge) yet on any documentation she will always put CofE and will always say she is Christian.

Permabanned
Therefore all true scientists will be agnostic.

When you put it like that, it does seem to be rather simple minded to be athiest. I've always said i am athiest since about year 7, when i just decided some of the things i was being taught were just pure rubbish, 5 pillars of islam etc, praying to east, noahs ark, so i just turned my beliefs away from beliefs, perhaps I'm going to have to have a think over a nights sleep hmmm.

Caporegime
Laziness can never be a religion though, as my mother never goes to church, never prayers (to my knowledge) yet on any documentation she will always put CofE and will always say she is Christian.

The church of lazy accepts all faiths and peoples :p

All we ask is you don;t bother use before the clock is back into single digits :D

Caporegime
Echo.

However, this is a Christian country. Dont care how politically correct we're all trying to be, we're going to loose our national identity. Do you want a mosque blaring out at the crack of dawn every morning, or do you want church bells at 10am on a Sunday.

I want neither the church bells are ****ing annoying, you tried living next to a church?

cause i can assure you the ones with a clock tower , don;t just chime on Sundays, and defiantly not at 10 am.

And we;re a secular state as far as i'm aware.

Associate
Why does it have to be a religious school...? I don't see why non-hindus should foot the bill for it.. it's not like there are any new christian schools popping up... right? (I actualy don't know but I get the impression most are very old).

Soldato
Do you want a mosque blaring out at the crack of dawn every morning, or do you want church bells at 10am on a Sunday.

I've been lucky to only live near a church - the bells don't annoy me, they only emphasise that I need to get out of bed and cut the lawn :/

To be fair if I lived near a mosque, I'd probably get out of bed even earlier and mow the lawn twice.

Soldato
Although better than in America, I don't think the legal and political systems are completely secularised.

And there is talk of adopting laws from non-native religions.

Regardless of how hard we try to be a unified nation of all these different backgrounds, the laws are based on Christian values, and the "native" population is what it is, a mixture of white races from around Europe.

I'm not being racist, it's just facts. And I'm not trying to say we shouldn't be letting people into this country who genuinely aren't trying to sponge off our ridiculous benefits system (and that should include people who started here deliberately sponging off it).

There is a part of me that doesn't want to see the small English town I grew up in with a mosque in it in 10 years time. But this means I can't complain about immigrants forming the own cut off little suburbs which are basically "little wherever they come from."

Last edited:
Soldato
OK now I have no issue with individual religions etc and everyone is entitled to their own beliefs etc. I'm also a long way from being catholic or any other faith as such so this is from a 'English' standpoint more than anything.

Now while this country has a monarchy this countries primary religion would be Church of England as the Queen (or King) is the head of both state (yes I know its more symbolic than functional these days) and church (wiki). Therefore to maintain the prominent religion of this country a CoE school should be seen in a different perspective to a Hindu/Muslim school, it is after all the native religion.

The question then becomes is the money being given for the 'foreign' religions more per person than CoE or even non specific religion (my preference as it allows people to make their own mind up) schools and whether or not a foreign religion only school would cause upset in the community.

I don't actually think this is just relevant with schools, I feel that churches/mosques etc should also be taken in the same way. Wasn't there the intention of making a mosque that would have been bigger than the biggest CoE church, I'm sorry but this shouldn't be allowed as it then takes away the importance of CoE religious buildings which should maintain prominence in this country.

Also can anyone actually see a hindu/muslim country allowing us to build massive school/church promoting alternative religions as easily as the UK appears to and as backwards as some of these religions appear to people in the UK, you can't deny that they often have a lot more solidarity in their 'identity' than us Brits.

Another point is that the press seems to highlight these 'issues' more than most people would so who's more racist, those who discuss the matter or those who incite the discussion by writing something which is most likely inflamatory?

Probably haven't made any sense with that but hey it was late :)

Associate
Also can anyone actually see a hindu/muslim country allowing us to build massive school/church promoting alternative religions

Bangladesh
Catholic Relief Services provides support to over 100 primary schools in one of the least developed districts.
Church of Bangladesh ( Anglican, Methodist & Prespyterian) has 50 primary schools and 3 secondary schools.
College of Christian Theology, Dhaka
Grace International School
Notre Dame College
Saint Francis Xaviers Greenherald Int'l School - Asad Gate, Dhaka, Bangladesh - email
William Carey Academy

Pakistan
Community Development Education Project - Lahore 00923004297124
Forman Christian College
Gordon College
Faith and Grace Bible School (FGBS - 7 to 10 yr. olds) - Toba Tek Singh, Pakistan - 0092-46-2516309
Heart for Peace
Murree Christian School
Northwestern Theological Seminary of Pakistan
Open Theological Seminary (PCTEE), Lahore
Sacred Heart School - Westridge
St Anthony's College - Lahore
St Francis Grammar School
St Francis' High School - Peshawar
St John's Girls School - Peshawar
St Joseph's Convent School - Karachi
St Lawrence School
St Lawrences Boys School
St Marks School - E. I. Lines
St Mary's Academy, Tulsa Road, Lalazar, Rawalpindi
St Michael's School, Karachi
St Patrick's Girls High School - Karachi
St Patrick's High School - Ahmed Munir, SJ Shaheed Road, Karachi
St Paul's English High School - Karachi
St Peter & Paul School
St Thomas Aquinas' High School
St Thomas Primary School - Peshawar

Commissario
Given that they say it's on 5 acres of ground and have room for something like 260 pupils (including pre-school), and cost 11 million I suspect it probably cost little more than an equivalent modern new non denominational school*, that has been custom built (rather than cookie cutter designs done to the absolute cheapest budget).

A very quick google suggests the amount given by the government to build it is anything from about 10 million to 11 million, and it's part voluntary funded to the tune of another 2 million or so**).

It's also quite possible that the marble some people are getting so worked up about was supplied "cheap" due it being used in a religious building (and supplied from India, which would generally mean there is a specific reason for it, as you can get marble from much closer suppliers;)).

It's also worth noting that there are something like 4000 COE schools, and 2000 RC schools in the UK, so it's hardly that these guys are getting funding that the "natives" don't.

*IIRC my local middle school needs renovations that are expected to cost something like 2 million if they go ahead, and that's for an existing pretty bleak building.

**Probably for the temple etc.

Back
Top Bottom