Renting Question...

Soldato
I have a 6month contract for renting a flat and am towards the end of it now (it started on the 1st May). Is it correct that even though the term is 6months, the landlord still needs to give 2months notice for me to leave? So if he wanted me to leave by the end of the 6months (which would be the end of October) he would have to of served notice before the 1st of this month? or am i just out when the conract ends at the end of October and he doesnt need to give me notice...

I am a bit confused, as unfortunately the landlord wants to sell, but i havent been given notice to leave.

Soldato
It would be daft for the landlord to try to sell with the market as it is, if you're willing to stay longer then he might want you to. Ask him what he's planning on doing and suggest what you are planning on doing.

Associate
If you only signed a 6 month contract, you have to leave at the end of 6 months.

The only way around this is to sign a new contract that gives you more time.

I think the landlord is mad to try and sell in the current market, but it's his decision. Maybe he wants to emigrate and leave nothing behind.

Associate
If you only signed a 6 month contract, you have to leave at the end of 6 months.

The only way around this is to sign a new contract that gives you more time.

This is not true, if neither of you give notice to leave the tenancy will automatically roll into a month to month contract at which he will always need to give you 8 weeks notice to quit and you need to give him 4 weeks notice.

If he wanted you out after the 6 month period he has to serve notice after 4 months of the tenancy.

Soldato
OP
What i am tempted to do is see if i can just stay here and let him do a couple of viewings a month. If he finds someone to buy then he gives 2 months notice, if i find somewhere new to live i give my 1 month... It would make sense from both sides really.

I might phone the agency and see.

Back
Top Bottom