recommend me some rears

Associate
The best piece of advice for speakers in a home cinema setup is to make sure they match, sound wise.

The simplest way to do that is to buy speakers from the same manufacturer and usually from the same family or range. You could always buy second hand rears if they're not being made any more (and save some money:)).

You can still get good results by not matching them, but for everything to gel with panning effects, music, etc you really need them matched. It's also a good idea to use the same speaker cable for all channels too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I currently have some Eltax fronts, not sure about the model (not at home) and im using a Yamaha amp (Again cant remember the model)

Cost, nothing more than £100 for the pair

Associate
find out what the fronts are, you have a center? eltax i presume? The some Eltax monitor 3s £70 would do very nicely as rears :) they are quite good, I'm sure people will appear and recommend them to you. Do you want bookshelf or floorstanders? floorstanders i have a pair of Liberty 5s which are good speakers, good bass. They are £99 from RS i believe.

i'd recommend trying to keep the same tonal balance, you can buy 'em, take them home and try them, if they are pants simply take them back :) good thing about RS that.

Soldato
forget matching the rears to the fronts, not worth it, you only need to match the freguencies of the fronts, centre, and the sub. I bought a pair of Elax rear bi-polars, and they seem great.

Associate
Originally posted by Abyss
forget matching the rears to the fronts, not worth it, you only need to match the freguencies of the fronts, centre, and the sub. I bought a pair of Elax rear bi-polars, and they seem great.

You don't need exactly the same speakers for the rears, in relation to the fronts and centre (unless you really want full DTS spec - same speakers all around), but they should sound the same.

A lot of manufacturers are now making bi and di-polar rears to match the fronts and centre which work well and will have the same tonal balance, which is the key thing you need when matching.

Try to find a demo system that has everything matched to see the importance of finding the balance. Panning effects and music work so much better when there isn't an obvious change in gear, sound wise in different parts of the room.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Originally posted by LeoWyatt
find out what the fronts are, you have a center? eltax i presume? The some Eltax monitor 3s £70 would do very nicely as rears :) they are quite good, I'm sure people will appear and recommend them to you. Do you want bookshelf or floorstanders? floorstanders i have a pair of Liberty 5s which are good speakers, good bass. They are £99 from RS i believe.

i'd recommend trying to keep the same tonal balance, you can buy 'em, take them home and try them, if they are pants simply take them back :) good thing about RS that.

I dont have a center yet, but I will be getting the one that goes with my fronts when I get the rears.

Aint too fussed wether they are floor standers, or bookshelf, they just need to be pretty small in size

Mant, what are the dimensions on these?

Associate
LOL @ Desmo :p

The Eltax HT2 are pritty small linkage to the specs here

I have a pair of Eltax Symphony 8.2 Floorstanders for my Front and with all the talk of getting the same range for the whole setup I was going to get the Symphony Centre. After demoing the Centre it sounded like a Yogurt pot on string compared to the Ditton DC12 that I ended up buying as it blew it away and matched the same power of my fronts.

The HT2's dont carry as much bass as i would have liked them to, but they do the job and they do it very well. Around £70 for a pair

Associate
Re: Re: recommend me some rears

Originally posted by Desmo
Kylie Minogue's and Denise Van Outen's. A nice pair and are both pretty small.
What kind of setup is this? I might look into it myself.

LOL :)

They would look very nice in the corner of the room too. Don't think they would sound very good though - parp! ;)

I'll have to see if I can arrange for a home demo over a long weekend to give them both a thoroughly good ...erm, testing :D

Back
Top Bottom