previous resident - identity fraud?

Soldato
I've been living with my partner in our house for 2 1/2 years. For the first 6 months of that we didn't get much post for the previous resident, but for the last 18 months/2 years we've been getting an increasing amount and it's starting to annoy us. The previous residents rented the house for many years, but they left on not great terms and they refused to leave a forwarding address. Now it would appear that they are still using our address. We've had credit cards in their name, debt collection letters (we sorted that with the agency), parking tickets, national insurance card for their son, hospital appointments, and now a letter from Game thanking him for the recent purchase of a PS3.

Has anyone else had this problem, and what can I do legally to stop this for good? Can I go to the police about identity fruad?

Help! :)

Soldato
I had this problem only slightly backwards!

I moved out of one address and luckily moved only across the road to another house. I say luckily because if the lady that became the occupant of my old house hadn't been out one day and my old next door neighbour hadn't taken delivery of a parcel for me at my old address and hand delivered it to me at my new address I would never have known that the new occupant had opened several catalogue accounts in my name and owed several hundred pounds under my name at that address.

I did a credit search on my name at that address which drew up all of the comapies involved and then contacted them directly to explain the situation. I could prove that I had been at my new address during the time she had ordered things as I was on the electoral roll for that address since I moved there.

I also went across the road and told her to stop, to which she denied doing it at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tried getting a loan recently?
You may find you can't get one because of your address.

Bad credit is no longer an "address" thing - hasn't been for many years.
There is no such thing as a bad address these days as credit checks always use a combination of address and name.

Back
Top Bottom