Wow, call this a philosophical moment...

Man of Honour
We're having a Troll-off. Imminent thread closeage, which is a shame, because it will kill all curiosity in this thread...

But sometimes it is for the best.

That means, stop reading this thread! There is an entire web out there! Read all that you can!

Nothing further in this thread can provoke an interest now.

I think you need to make up your mind also, either the thread is (now) pointless and you should read outside it or it isn't.

As to your philosophical musings at lunch you appear to be getting into "does free will exist" and that of course leads on to other intangibles such as "is there a truly altruistic action" and so forth. Philosophy is a pleasant enough way to pass the time but really little more than that in terms of answering questions with certainty; of course not everything requires a definitive answer but it isn't an area ever likely to lead to agreement due to the varying motivations that people have.

Soldato
But I think I just had an idea concerning human potential.

Your limits are defined by your level of curiousity.

Discuss [20 marks]

Figure out the answers to your A level Philosophy and Ethics questions yourself. I had to. It's pritty straight foward, you shouldn't need help with it.

Soldato
OP
Figure out the answers to your A level Philosophy and Ethics questions yourself. I had to. It's pritty straight foward, you shouldn't need help with it.

Why on earth do you think I am doing an A-level in philosophy and ethics? I have a masters degree and have worked in IT for about 4 years :confused:

Maybe its a random % of my brain firing off for one brief bright second before dying for good...

Soldato
OP
I think you need to make up your mind also, either the thread is (now) pointless and you should read outside it or it isn't.

As to your philosophical musings at lunch you appear to be getting into "does free will exist" and that of course leads on to other intangibles such as "is there a truly altruistic action" and so forth. Philosophy is a pleasant enough way to pass the time but really little more than that in terms of answering questions with certainty; of course not everything requires a definitive answer but it isn't an area ever likely to lead to agreement due to the varying motivations that people have.

An interesting post :)

One of the criticisms layed against Palin recently after her interviews is not that she is ignorant - but that she doesn't appear to understand she is ignorant and even have any sort of curiosity to drive her to engage and clear her ignorance.

I myself can be accused of ignorance...

Associate
Good on you for not rising to the trolls and trashers in the thread. I can't see why all this aggro has been posted. So what if it isn't a mindblowing cutting-edge philosophical question.

Man of Honour
Associate
But I think I just had an idea concerning human potential.

Your limits are defined by your level of curiousity.

Discuss [20 marks]

No matter how curious I am as to what it feels like to be the world record holder, Usain Bolt is always going to be faster than me. Physiology, not curiosity, defines my limits at least some of the time.

Soldato
OP
No matter how curious I am as to what it feels like to be the world record holder, Usain Bolt is always going to be faster than me. Physiology, not curiosity, defines my limits at least some of the time.

Physiology might define absolute limits, but not necessarily relative limits.

How fast *could* you actually go if you trained to his standard?

Thats why sometimes things like the olympics are so important - not because of the final outcome, but because of how it drives people to test themselves...

Soldato
Physiology might define absolute limits, but not necessarily relative limits.

How fast *could* you actually go if you trained to his standard?

Thats why sometimes things like the olympics are so important - not because of the final outcome, but because of how it drives people to test themselves...

But if you had enough curiosity you could build yourself a giant robot suit that could fly...

Back
Top Bottom