work life

Vix

Vix

Associate
I regret my choices a little but I'm now in a position to do something about it. I was supposed to go into teacher training when I left college but my parents couldn't afford to put me through it so I got a job in retail. Worked my way up the ranks and ended up as an accountant! Now I have some qualifications and experience, I'm looking into lecturing accountancy and bookkeeping qualifications. So I'm getting there, just took some time!

Una

Una

Associate
I totally hear you man. Although I quite like my job and get payed really well.. I hate the routine 9-5 (well its more like 9-7 or 8 atm). I feel totally wasted after getting back from work and hate the structure. So yeah, I am thinking about going back to uni to do a Phd and taking a massive pay drop (like half my wages) to study something I enjoy with the flexibility I want from life.

Associate
Hate to be the bringer of bad news but most of you had better get used to it as you will be doing it for the next 40 years or so.......... :)

Uni life is good and there are other options but if you want the trappings of modern living; house, car......food that does not come out of a dumpster, then you need to join the rat race. Either that or marry someone extremely wealthy.

Soldato
This is the great cycle of life.

lifecz1.png

Get used to it.

Soldato
A holiday after uni? You kidding me? What exactly have you been doing for the past 3 years?

Im 19 and ive worked since i was 15 and ive had a few jobs, ive finally found one i love, although ive had 1 other job that i loved and another one that i was rather good at, youll soon find that youll move around untill you find something that suits you.

Im now an apprentice engineer..

Soldato
I had this dillema a few years ago when I started in Childcare.. I realised that as much as I enjoyed childcare, I couldn't live with the wages, so I had to find something else.. in the end I started at a place that did Recovery of cars for the Police which we would then phone through to a garage, spent near enough 2 years there.

I think then I realised that I could get something more, 6 months ago I started in West Midlands Ambulance Service's Emergency Call Taker and now i've been promoted to Dispatch, I realised that it is possible to find something else that I could enjoy.. the experience I gained there got me into the most exciting and high earning job i've ever had :)

Associate
When I went to university all of the lectures and meaty stuff were available online, so I only went in about an hour a week and played computer games the rest of the time :D Unfortunately I am now stuck as a postie as I couldn't get a single job with my degree after about a year of trying. I really like my job but can't do it forever as it's a complete dead end, looking to start in IT from the bottom rung now but 9-5 is going to be tough compared to the postie life.

Soldato
Christ what a depressing thread.

Get a job you LIKE.. then it isn't a bore for the next 50 years...

I never went to uni and all I hear from people who come to my work place, is "wow, I'd love to work here, it must be so ace etc etc"

It's about LIFE, not how many pennies you can earn, unless you are really sad and that's all you care about..

Soldato
I'm in exactly the same position as the OP. Just finished uni and don't really know quite what I want to do; I've spent the summer applying for jobs in marketing and doing a bit of work experience, but this is more because it seems to be the done thing above anything; I haven't had any real calling towards marketing at all! I'm half looking at taking a gap year and then heading to law school, as I think I would be very good at it, but my dad keeps warning me against it; he's a lawyer and it sounds like it is near enough impossible to get a decent training contract at the moment.

Man of Honour
You're too optimistic. But then again I'm only 21. :p

I've only had 2 major downers in my 50 years of life -

1988 when I got sectioned into a mental asylum
2007 when I got made redundant after 27 years.

I've now got an excellent job, I gig in a fantastic local band with non starstruck bandmates and a great fanbase, my wife & kids couldn't be bettered and I have OCUK.

Permabanned
Wait till you are 25 and are still at college and the World is going into a depression oh wait, no matter what generation, none have it easy.

Associate
I am sorry but you guys are paying for your laziness in Uni.

I worked pretty much solid (except for first year of course) when I was in Uni, like 12 hours a day including weekends.

Upon leaving Uni (this July) I have a job that I really enjoy and pays well and find life way easier and better than Uni.

What goes round comes around.

Associate
Work is a means to an end, but doesn't stop you from looking for something that you think you'd enjoy. Also, the 9 to 5 isn't as bad as you think... I've done jobs that needed all sorts of strange shifts, and even ran my own company from home (which is without doubt the hardest thing anyone can do if you're not able to switch off easily).

Rules for finding the perfect job:

1. Take no notice of advice, especially from family. You're not them, and advice is best passed on and not used.
2. Sometimes taking a leap of faith is a good thing. It keeps you alive and awake, and it's uncanny how well things turn out.
3. Money isn't the be-all-and-end-all. Sure, it helps ease the bumps, but nothing beats the feeling of getting home from work knowing you loved every minute of it.
4. Never take your job for granted. You'll see what I mean the first moment you walk into the dole office to sign on for the first time.
5. It's not what you know, but who you know.

(If you read points 2 to 5, then you didn't read point 1 properly) :D

Oooo... theme from Get Carter on Radio 6!

Back
Top Bottom