Official Rampage Extreme Review/Overclock/Guide Thread

Associate
Sorry Smirnoff, bad news for me:mad: Tried the settings you gave me and Prime would just stop working(Stop Responding).

So I looked at the FSB strap and @ 400 would fully boot a couple of times but would not run Prime, and then it just would not boot into windows, kept looping again. So I decreased the strap to 333 and I got back into windows but no prime again so went down again same results and even on 200 prime will stop responding? So I increased the volts on the mem a step at a time but this did not help so I tried the increase on the NB volts no luck same results prime would still stop responding.

These are the settings I have gone up to.

DDR 1.98v
NB 1.50v
CPU 1.23v
CPU PLL 1.508v

Not sure what else to do?

Does it just mean my memory cannot run with a multiplier of 08.5 from the CPU.:confused:

Permabanned
OP
Updated your BIOS to 0501 and download http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

First thing to do is get your memory to pass memtest, Set the XMS profile in the bios then change the settings you can to the ones below.

Tweaker Menu
Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 8
CPU Clock Skew: Auto
NB Clock Skew Auto
FSB Strap to North Bridge: 400
PCIE Frequency: 101
DRAM Command Rate: 2N
DRAM Timing Control: Auto
DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control: Disabled

Ai Clock Twister: Auto
Ai Transaction Booster: Auto
EPU II Phase Control: Auto
CPU Voltage: 1.40
Load-Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.51106
FSB Termination Voltage:1.32
CPU GTLVerf (0): Auto
CPU GTLVerf (1): Auto
CPU GTLVerf (2): Auto
CPU GTLVerf (3): Auto
NB GTLVerf: Auto
North Bridge Voltage: 1.45797
DRAM Voltage: 1.90856
NB DDRVref: Auto
DDR3 ChannelA Vref: Auto
DDR3 ChannelB Vref: Auto
South Bridge 1.5 Voltage: 1.51106
South Bridge 1.05 Voltage: 1.06039
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

All you want to do first is get your memory stable and passing memtest.

Associate
Thanks for your patience Smirnoff!!!!!!!!,

Your review was the main reason for me swapping my last board for this one. Will give these settings a go.

I also would have run memtest last night but could not burn the ISO image of it last night with the Desktop PC because I just kept getting an Error, so will sort this today with the lappy & the UBCD.

If you can bear with me.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks rddave,

I lost Patience with the OCZ memory and requested an RMA from OcUK for a refund and I bought the G.Skill 4GB DDR3 HZ PC2-12800C7 1600MHz (2x2GB), as recommended by Smirnoff as working ram with this board.

Smirnoff will the settings you gave me for the OCZ memory be the same as the G.Skill I am getting, or will it all work on auto except the voltages?

Permabanned
OP
Just use the XMP profile and your pretty much ready to go. I'm pretty close to getting 8gb of the same ram passing memtest in my board atm lol

Associate
hi guy please help i have many problems with my RE :
i start to :
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=414471
FSB 450 x 7,5 = 3.375 GHZ
setting ai oc tuner must be XMP (extreme memory profile, profile 1),
if i setting ai oc tuner manual/auto with :
DRAM freq : 1800
Dram command rate : 1N
Dram timing control : manual 8-8-8-22
vcore : 1.34375v
vdimm : 1.94v
North Bridge : 1.44472
hangs on DET RAM in LCD display monitor
I tried to increase the voltage of the vcore, vdimm and NB, but it stays 'hang on DET RAM'.
So I returned to ai oc tuner : XMP (extreme memory profile, profile 1) is not hang on det RAM and I can come into the windows, I can pass the the super pi 1M test, but failed at super pi 4M, and test prime95 is instable.

is motherboard RE not compatible with memory DDR3 Kingston KHX14400 XMP...?
Audio: Creative X-Fi Elite Pro.
Memory : DDR3 Kingston KHX14400D3K2/2GX XMP Profile : 2 X 1 GB
Hard Disk: Seagate SATA2 32 MB/500Gb
DVD-Rom Drive : ASUS DRW-1814BLT, DVD-R Samsung TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-D162D SCSI
O/S: Windows XP SP3
M/B: Asus Rampage Extreme Bios : 0501
PSU: FSP Epsilon 750 w
CASE: Antec 1200 with 7 X Fans

Last edited:
Associate
Time for me to join the party! Got mine recently and pretty new to the game but seems very nice. My only attempts at OCing was with my last build and struggled to get anything stable.

I've got my e8600 at 4.3 GHz on air at the moment (430*10) on 1.3v the temps are pushing it a bit but never over 70 on RealTemp when being hammered by ORTHOS, and generally 68 or so on small FFTs. I'll probably step it down still further to peak at about 66.

However, I'm having some trouble getting it to stay orthos stable at this clock and thought I'd see if anyone else can manage it. And if anyone can advise me about any settings I might not know about that can help with the stabilty a bit? One of my friends is running same week/batch/model CPU at 4.2 with a much lower Vcore and thus better temps on a Gigabyte board and ours is supposed to be the clockmonster!

I'm also slightly concerned since I was reading through this thread and someone mentioned OCCT so I went and got it and.. well..

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/1739/occtnj9.jpg

is that saying my 2nd core is running 3.3v?! :confused::eek:

I've not updated my BIOS yet as I didn't buy a floppy drive and I can't find my USB stick at the mo, but that's step one.

Associate
Hi guys I am still using 0403, is it worth upping to 0501? Will I be able to use my OC settings (0404 prevented any kind of OC)? Will it make my Enermax Aurora keyboard work without making the system hang on POST!? (Expensive keyboard + Expensive motherboard currently = fail)

Associate
Hi All
Have got the system PI 8M stable, but nowhere near prime stable (BSOD about 1 min in) at the following settings.
If anyone can help with some surgestions it would be of great help.

CPU Type: QX6850
Cooling: H2O on the CPU, GPU x2 and NB
Graphics card(s): 2 x Sapphire 4870
Memory Brand and speed:G.Skill F3-12800CL7-2GbPI

Tweaker Menu (Bios version 0601)
Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
OC From CPU Level Up: Auto
OC From Memory Level Up: Auto
FSB Frequency: 500
CPU Ratio Setting: 8
>> = sub menu
>>CPU Configuration
>>CPU Ratio Setting: 8
>>C1E Support: Disabled
>>CPU TM Function: Disabled
>>Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
>> Vanderpool Technology: Disabled
>> Core Multi-Processor: Enable
>> Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
CPU Clock Skew: Auto
NB Clock Skew: Auto
FSB Strap to North Bridge: Auto
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1601 MHz
DRAM Command Rate: 1n
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
1st Information:
CAS# Latency: 7
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 7
RAS# PRE: 7
RAS# ACT Time: 18
RAS# To RAS# Delay: Auto
REF Cycle Time: 60
WRITE Recovery Time: 10
READ to Pre Time: 6
2nd Information:
READ to WRITE Delay (S/D): Auto
WRITE to READ Delay (S): Auto
WRITE to READ Delay (D): Auto
READ to READ (S): Auto
READ to READ (D): Auto
WRITE to WRITE (S): Auto
WRITE to WRITE (D): Auto
3RD Information:
WRITE to PRE Delay: Auto
READ to PRE Delay: Auto
PRE to PRE Delay: Auto
ALL PRE to ACT Delay: Auto
ALL PRE to REF Delay: Auto
DRAM Static Read Control: Auto
DRAM Dynamic Write Control: Auto
>> = sub menu
>>DRAM Skew Control
>>DRAM CMD Skew on Channel A: Auto
>>DRAM CLK Skew on DIMM A1: Auto
>>DRAM CLK Skew on DIMM A2: Auto
>>DRAM CTL Skew on DIMM A1: Auto
>>DRAM CTL Skew on DIMM A2: Auto
>>DRAM CMD Skew on Channel B: Auto
>>DRAM CLK Skew on DIMM B1: Auto
>>DRAM CLK Skew on DIMM B2: Auto
>>DRAM CTL Skew on DIMM B1: Auto
>>DRAM CTL Skew on DIMM B2: Auto
Ai Clock Twister: Auto
Ai Transaction Booster: Auto
EPU II Phase Control: Auto
CPU Voltage: Auto
Load-Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU PPL Voltage: Auto
FSB Termination Voltage: Auto
CPU GTLVerf (0): Auto
CPU GTLVerf (1): Auto
CPU GTLVerf (2): Auto
CPU GTLVerf (3): Auto
NB GTLVerf: Auto
North Bridge Voltage: 1.6V
DRAM Voltage: 1.9
NB DDRVref: Auto
DDR3 ChannelA Vref: Auto
DDR3 ChannelB Vref: Auto
South Bridge 1.5 Voltage: Auto
South Bridge 1.05 Voltage: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Under advanced menu:
North Bridge Chipset Configuration
Memory Remap Feature: Enabled
Initiate Graphic Adapter: PEG/PCI
PEG Port Control: Auto

Associate
Arr, i have to join this party also. i will post bios setting later, but the memory i have in, corsair from overclocker does not like this m/b like to post at 1200, and want to run at 667 a lot of the time,, when i turn it up in the bios, the pc crashes, restarts, and generaly take on the life of a gremlin.

also,, i have a hells own job of keeping the bios from setting the [email protected] and n/[email protected], funny thing is i have two of these boards,, and the other is great.

Associate
Just Ordered

Hi All,

Made the decision to get the Rampage Extreme and 4 Gig of the Cell shock black edition 1600mhz RAM. Been checking out the reviews and forums and seen it can be a challenge to get the board to boot 1st time before even checking out the OCing.

Was looking for any tips n tricks regarding 1st boot settings i.e the ‘Auto’ options.

I’m running a Q9550 along side the cell shock.
Much appreciated any advice no matter how simple, looking forward to the arrival wed morning and posting some pleased comments.

Associate
oops how badly have I messed up ? :(

So, I bought the bits for a new system with the Rampage Extreme and some 2x2x2x2 gigs of OCZ DDR3 PC3-14400 Platinum Edition memory.

I posted a thread earlier this evening with my experiences

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17932297

Long and short of it is that with the OCZ DDR3 PC3-14400 Platinum Edition in "auto" timings mode in the bios windows Vista 64 bit seems to be prone to freezing at random times.

Its not possible to manually choose the "recommended" timings because then you can't boot the machine.

(as pointed out earlier in this thread which i wish I'd read before buying the OCZ memory) :(

So question I have is this - is it possible to get the memory I have working with the Rampage Extreme motherboard in a stable and reliable fashion in any way whatsoever (and if so how would I go about it?)

Or would I simply be better off to RMA the stuff back to overclockers and go with an alternative brand that does work properly on auto settings with the motherboard?

Any advise thankfully received.

All the best.

Associate
So, I bought the bits for a new system with the Rampage Extreme and some 2x2x2x2 gigs of OCZ DDR3 PC3-14400 Platinum Edition memory.

I posted a thread earlier this evening with my experiences

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17932297

Long and short of it is that with the OCZ DDR3 PC3-14400 Platinum Edition in "auto" timings mode in the bios windows Vista 64 bit seems to be prone to freezing at random times.

Its not possible to manually choose the "recommended" timings because then you can't boot the machine.

(as pointed out earlier in this thread which i wish I'd read before buying the OCZ memory) :(

So question I have is this - is it possible to get the memory I have working with the Rampage Extreme motherboard in a stable and reliable fashion in any way whatsoever (and if so how would I go about it?)

Or would I simply be better off to RMA the stuff back to overclockers and go with an alternative brand that does work properly on auto settings with the motherboard?

Any advise thankfully received.

All the best.

Hi,

I think the first thing i would do is download Memtest from here http://www.memtest86.com/download.html
Download and burn the iso,
Set you cd drive as the first bootable fevice in the bios

sit back and see if it shows ant errors

Associate
yep i've been running memtest and comparitive memory timings this weekend and pretty much confirmed other people's findings with my memory on this motherboard.

The OCZ stuff doesn't work on auto settings or any manual frequency above 10666 - it is stable at 10666 but its quite annoying to have to run it below its capability and have it fail on the auto detecting settings.

The freeze/crash thing i was experiencing happens in memtest just the same as in vista 64 so thats don to the memory / motherboard capability not the operating system :)

Thanks for the advise guys - much appreciated.

Associate
Just a quick note to say that mine is stable running 0403 BIOS with 1600MHz OCZ memory, as discussed a while back.

Back
Top Bottom