Poll: Newby ghost photo - ever proved a fake?

Do you think the Newby Ghost photo is real or fake?

• Real

• Fake

Results are only viewable after voting.
Associate
One of the most famous 'ghost' photos ever. Taken by the Rev Lord at Newby church in Yorkshire in the 60's. He was taking a photo of the altar and was adamant there was nothing there. However when developed a ghostly monk like figure appeared.

ghostmonk.jpg

I remember first seeing it on Arthur C Clarkes Mysterious World, it really creeped me out. I know a lot of the most famous photos have been debunked, but as far as I know nobody has ever proven this one to be a fake. Or have they?

Soldato
It's very impressive that the shape even has the cloak draping/spilling over the steps at the bottom.... I would like to know if this one has been debunked too?

Man of Honour
To be honest my vote would be on double exposure for that one.

Im not a believer in ghosts but I believe there could be somethig to the whole ghost thing but this photo has that "To good to be true" factor that makes it hard to believe.

Soldato
To be honest my vote would be on double exposure for that one.

Im not a believer in ghosts but I believe there could be somethig to the whole ghost thing but this photo has that "To good to be true" factor that makes it hard to believe.

The BBC apparently "proved" that it wasn't a double exposure when they were doing a series on this type of thing.

LOL :D

Soldato
Why not ask if it has ever been proved ?

Most photos of this type are caused by:
Light getting onto the fil when loading/unloading
Chemical stains when processing
Accidental double exposure

All of which seem more likely than ghosts. When you die, a chemical reaction stops, no different from amoeba - nobody thinks they have ghosts !

Vix

Vix

Associate
I've not known anyone debunk that photo, and it's the one that scares me the most!!

I too saw it first on Arthur C Clarke :D

However, when you look at the picture, the Rev didn't get the Altar very central, and you have to wonder why. It also does look like a guy in a mask wearing a long cloak so you have to 'hmmm' at it.

Associate
There was a picture of about 4 or 5 girls the other month on here and there was a little girl hiding between their legs. Think all of them are Drd, but like you say, in the 1960's photoshop must have been v1.0. must have been very tiring to edit the photo.

Back
Top Bottom