*** The new MacBook/MacBook Pro thread, all info in here ***

Associate
As for this update:
Wheres the blu-ray drive?
Wheres the quad core?
Dropping firewire, why?
No DVI port.... joy, more adaptors.

In a Q&A session after the presentation Steve said

"It’s great to watch the movies, but the licensing of the tech is so complex, we’re waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace."

As for quad core I think this might still come in the 17" version.

As for getting rid of DVI, they see Display Port as being the connection of the future. But yes more adaptors untill we all have display port monitors.

Caporegime
So what are the forum's concensus on the new macbook (base model in particular) compared to the old one?

I am looking out for the old one on sale in the shop for around £500 to £600, that's a bargain right? Or are the features in the new one worth £300 more? Taking in mind i don't play games on the pc and it'll be for movies, net and photoshop.

Associate
In a Q&A session after the presentation Steve said

"It’s great to watch the movies, but the licensing of the tech is so complex, we’re waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace."

As for quad core I think this might still come in the 17" version.

As for getting rid of DVI, they see Display Port as being the connection of the future. But yes more adaptors untill we all have display port monitors.

It would be cool if they do quad core for the 17's. As for blu-ray - yeah its difficult to get a product to market with the latest tech, but thats exactly what we should be expecting from apple given the price premium we pay for its products.

Permabanned
OP
I am looking out for the old one on sale in the shop for around £500 to £600, that's a bargain right? Or are the features in the new one worth £300 more? Taking in mind i don't play games on the pc and it'll be for movies, net and photoshop.

I don't think it's worth £300 more at all really, I'd spend it if I could justify the GPU upgrade as to me that's the main new piece of tech, but as I said I won't be doing any real gaming at all.

The new style if subjective (I prefer the plastic white), the LED screen is nice but I've seen the White MacBooks in action and thought the screen was great on them without LED.

In some ways the new base model MacBook is a step back, slightly lower processor and no firewire, however it does have an extra gig of ram as standard. (even though ram is very cheap to upgrade yourself)

Associate
There are Windows' laptops and even Dell's "Macmini" has a Blu-ray option.

A missed opportunity to take the £350 laptop head on with something a lot better costing a little more.

I am not at all impressed.

Caporegime

To be fair and without sounding like a complete fanboy, have you watched the video about the new MacBook?

There is a reason its £300 more.

It's not just a refresh.....they've rebuilt it completely from scratch! Can you blame them for charging an extra premium?

Yes it is a bit like daylight robbery as they are getting a massive profit, BUT they want some monies back for this new way of building them and the 2 years of research that went into it. Fair play imo.

Associate
Am I the only one who hates the look of the new macbooks?
I would have loved to see them keep the look of the black macbook, and I'm not that impressed by the new specs.
The only thing I will miss is the lighted keyboard but oh well.
Looks like I will sit this one out and get an iPod touch instead, still have over 2 years warranty left on this macbook.
But curses, the geek in me wants the new macbook anyway! :p

Permabanned
OP
To be fair and without sounding like a complete fanboy, have you watched the video about the new MacBook?

There is a reason its £300 more.

It's not just a refresh.....they've rebuilt it completely from scratch! Can you blame them for charging an extra premium?

Yes it is a bit like daylight robbery as they are getting a massive profit, BUT they want some monies back for this new way of building them and the 2 years of research that went into it. Fair play imo.

That's all fine and dandy but, I still don't think it's worth it. :)

Permabanned
OP
Anyone seen the new MB/MBP in UK stores yet?

No sign of them in Apple Exeter - just a sea of black, white and 'old' MBPs...

Hmm I kinda hope they have Black MB's in store when I go, quite tempted to go for one.

Heard they get very greasy and the keyboard picks up oils very easily though.

Caporegime
That's fair enough, but it's annoying people are saying it's a step back when it actually isn't.

Its a step back in terms of processing power and connection.

Asthestics is a personal thing, i like the white look. The advancement in the build sure is nice, but it is clearly been passed onto the end user with a £300 price increase.

but at least we know now that there won't be anymore cracked case anymore.

Associate
Well ive just been to purple shirt land for a quick gander,

The apple guy had the day off and the chap i spoke to was surprised to know that a new model had launched! :confused:

I have thought about getting a macbook for a long time and was waiting for the refresh, personally i like white, its clean and simplistic, im not to keen on the new look, and also starting at £950 for a base model! This is my first mac and im liking it a lot!

Today i got the old macbook 2.4ghz in white, why?

I do not intend to game on it so nvidia makes not a difference to me
I like white!
This one one is now only £80 dearer than the 'new' base model so have got a faster processor and another 1gb of ram for my 80 quid.

Personally i think i made the right choice, any opinions?

Lee

Back
Top Bottom