Traffic light camera got me.

Associate
So i was driving home today in the works van and the road wasnt really busy although a few cars were behind me every now and then, when all of a sudden the lights changed when i was pretty close, i looked in the mirror to see if it was safe to slam on for the lights but couldnt tell if a car was behind me or not so i had to go, then all of a sudden i got *flash* *flash* from the traffic light camera.

Im pretty sure the light was just red as i was going through them.

Just wondering is there a high risk of me getting 3 points and £60 fine?

I work as a mechanic and need my license to drive and i havnt had it long so 6 points and im back to square 1, if it does come back as that is there any way i can dispute and get the points removed?

Thanks.

SamuraiTortoise

S

SamuraiTortoise

You can only sit and wait and see if something gets posted to you. Double flash though doesn't sound good.

Associate
OP
Is there any way i can appeal if this is the case?

EDIT: Also is there a differance between double flash and single?

Oh and i forgot to say that i no two people who have had the same thing at the same lights one has done it twice and both havnt had anything through the post.

Any reason this might of happened or do they check the footage and see if it was right to carry on?

Soldato
This is why you slow down when approaching lights so in the event of a change you're safe to stop. Speed cameras are a joke, red light cameras i totally agree with. However good luck and honestly hope you get nothing (points etc.. ) from it but learn a lesson nonetheless.

Don
The only way it would flash and you wouldn't get done, is if it was out of film, or malfunctioning. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most digital now, meaning the chances of it being out of film relatively slim?

Take heed from it though dude, if you're approaching traffic lights and when they change you have to slam your breaks on, you're either going to fast, or you're not paying attention. Either way you'll learn from it.

Caporegime
I work as a mechanic and need my license to drive

I am an HGV driver and need my licence a tad more than you to do my job.

I try my best to anticipate situations before they arise (handy with 44tons behind you!) expecting traffic lights to change suddenly is one of those anticipation situations.

Put it down to experience.

Soldato
Lights don't just suddenly change from green to red.....

Just my opinion, not founded on any real study or evidence but it doesn't matter how good a driver you are or think you are, there will always be time when you'll get caught out like this, takes just a moments lapse in concentration or a distraction. The real crux is was there a red light camera at the lights when it happened.

Something similar happened to me a few months ago, approaching a pedestrian crossing in the outside lane, somebody in the inside lane decides my car isn't there so whilst negotiating the situation I never noticed that the lights had changed and sailed across the lights when they were on amber and got flashed.

Man of Honour
Just my opinion, not founded on any real study or evidence but it doesn't matter how good a driver you are or think you are, there will always be time when you'll get caught out like this

In many things yea but not sailing through red traffic lights.

they were on amber and got flashed.

Not if they were on amber. If they did it was a mistake and you'd not have got done, so it's not the same situation

Don
amber gambler tbh

i'm sure we've all whinced and sped up a tad when amber turns up once or twice, now with cameras it's just not worth it..

i think it's 1.5 seconds it shows for? so basically if it's showing green and a few cars are ahead of you, prepare for it to change to amber

Last edited:
Associate
I am an HGV driver and need my licence a tad more than you to do my job.

I try my best to anticipate situations before they arise (handy with 44tons behind you!) expecting traffic lights to change suddenly is one of those anticipation situations.

Put it down to experience.

I like to anticipate lights changing too. Never been caught out yet.

Oh, while I'm here R420La6X2^6x3/4 can you tell me why so many lorry drivers have blue lights all over the shop? I was led to believe it's hillegal. Ta!

Associate
So i was driving home today in the works van and the road wasnt really busy although a few cars were behind me every now and then, when all of a sudden the lights changed when i was pretty close, i looked in the mirror to see if it was safe to slam on for the lights but couldnt tell if a car was behind me or not so i had to go.

Why do you find it necessary to look behind you before braking for a red light? If a kid walked infront of you would you check behind first?

Back
Top Bottom