OMG, Creative release X-Fi source code - Yay proper drivers!

Associate
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=creative_xfi_gift&num=1

"The Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card driver for Linux from Creative Labs was awful. That's simply the nicest way to put it. The driver was home to many bugs, initially only supported 64-bit Linux, and it was arriving extremely late. The open-source drivers supporting the Creative X-Fi drivers have also been at a stand still. However, Creative Labs today has finally turned this situation around and they have open-sourced the code to this notorious driver. The source-code for the Creative X-Fi driver is now licensed under the GNU GPLv2."

"The announcement was made on the Creative Labs Forums and the full source-code is available for download from its support area as file XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00.tar.gz."

Soldato
Ok, think about it.
The driver is terrible, they couldn't make it work. They then release the code for it...

While it makes Creative look like cool guys in the news, essentially they're washing their hands of the driver because they are not upto doing it in house. Someone will have to do the hard work and basically rewrite the driver.

Hopefully this at least stirs up some interest and people get better audio as a result.

Soldato
Fantastic news. I don't mind Creative not wanting to dedicate resources to writing drivers - I don't think that it's because it's beyond them, but rather they don't want to spend the time/cash involved in doing it. By open sourcing it there are people who will be able to improve things because they'll be able to see the underlying code and modify it accordingly without falling foul of Creative's legal team.

Been waiting for this for quite some time. Really pleased to hear this.

Caporegime
They should have done this back when they banned some guy for releasing his own drivers. Apparently they were embarrassed as his were a lot better.

I still wouldn't put another Creative card in my machine, ever. They can go to hell for killing Aureal ;)

Associate
I agree with GarethDW, I think its better that they open source their code rather than hide it. Quicker bug fixes and updates.

So will this mean 3D sound in Linux or is that still a far away dream?

Just curious cos I have no understanding of surround sound or sound cards.

Back
Top Bottom