What age (if ever) did you realise what you really wanted to do?

Soldato
Now 34 and stuck again in the what profession to do next rut.

I'm starting to get annoyed with working from home. Pretty lonesome job between 9-5 with no-one around but me. :(

I read somewhere that the average jo has 2-3 career changes in their life.

Associate
I finished a degree in web development a year ago and got a job straight away. I'm now 26 and finding I just can't stand sitting in front of a computer 9 - 5 all week it's doing my head in! I used to like it but a career change is imminent, I have an idea of what I'd like to do but I know to do it I would have to re-train which would feel like taking a few steps back not to mention a big hit on money. Going back to full-time college/Uni is not an option I can't afford it.

Associate
i was 7 when i found the job i wanted to do for the rest of my life

i was totally heartbroken when my mum pointed out that i was born in the wrong country, and century, to be a Musketeer :(

24 years on and i'm still dealing with the disappointment every day but i'm getting over it, at the moment i want to be the despotic totalitarian ruler of a small country, preferably one somewhere slightly colder than England :)

Soldato
I was never really sure what I wanted to do... went to uni and done a computer science degree which I enjoyed but had real issues getting a job near where I wanted to live (.com crash), so then went and studied my CIMA and started work as an accountant... done that for 6 years and was well boring... took a gamble on joining a startup IT company as a Business Analyst and really enjoyed it.. that was 6 monts ago.. We were recently brought by one of the big accountancy firms and I now work as a Project Manager / Systems Accountant and have nearly quadrupled my old salary in 6 months (very pleased about this! :D) moral of the story is really when your young take some risks, leave your comfort zone and take the opportunities that are presented! I never really knew what I wanted to do.. just kind of moved about until I found out..

Am 28 btw

Last edited:
Associate
Ive known since i was about 12. With my dad teaching my about computers i was always destined to go into IT. Took a degree in computing and here i am, my first year in the real world. Enjoying it most of the time but sometimes it has its blergh moments :p

Soldato
When I was younger I always thought I'd end up in the armed services, as nothing in normal society interested me at all. I wanted adventure and to be part of something.

In the end I never took the final step because I went through a bit of a bad time during that period of my life. However I've slowly discovered I have a passion for fiction writing, which considering my school days… its shocking! :eek:

I'm not skilled in English literacy in anyway; however I simply love writing stories and creating different worlds and events. I think its because I've always been a dreamer with a crazy imagination.

I have a few pieces of work I hope to one day turn into books. The first is nearing completion and with any luck people will enjoy it. :)

Associate
if your taking over sweden count me in!

hmm, Sweden could work out.. for sake of tradition we really ought to start with Poland though.

I think my personal preference would be Iceland, small island country with a small population, nice scenery, reasonable tourist trade and one of the coolest Capital City names in the world :D

Associate
I didnt have a clue when i finished uni a few months ago, then a pure bit of luck and timing got me a job back with my placement company, which i thought would be impossible with all the trouble the banks have been in recently. as long as i dont completely screw it up I can see me sticking at it too.

So in essence, dont try and think about it too much, maybe try and get some work experience in diff jobs and see what you like?

Man of Honour
Just out of interest, and if you don't mind saying, what industry are you in at the moment? I assume (and may be way off here) that you aren't going to go from something massively scientific to something quite artsy like writing or journalism.

I work in software testing.
My academic background is reasonably scientific (one half of my degree was Mathematics, and I did A-level physics) but that's just because I thought I was good at that in school, it's not necessarily what interests me.

I can't do journalism because I haven't studied English beyond GCSE level and would have to write for a local village paper, then a major city paper, before finally getting anywhere, all the while earning pretty poor cash. I suspect there may be opportunities online though, you know, maybe write for free on a website with a decent readership, build up a reputation, then eventually be able to land something good enough to pay the bills.

To be honest I'd probably be happy earning £20k/year if it meant I could work from home writing about something I'm interested in (football, the economy, gaming, computer hardware etc).

Back
Top Bottom