OCZ Solid - Controller

Soldato
Sounds to me more like a marketing exercise.

"Solid" - attempting to undo the shambles of the previous MLC jmicron controller drives.

I'd be interested to know too and I think people in general are more careful with their cash on this. Over to you OCZ to clarify and the internetz to provide a proper review..

Associate
Sounds to me more like a marketing exercise.

"Solid" - attempting to undo the shambles of the previous MLC jmicron controller drives.

I'd be interested to know too and I think people in general are more careful with their cash on this. Over to you OCZ to clarify and the internetz to provide a proper review..

i dont know.... i noticed the r/w speeds are lower yet the price is higher? could be a trap but given how badly ocz got ripped for the cores i think it would be suicide for them to try something like this.

also the name change, perhaps these are indications of a significant change? maybe they dont want to associate these drives with the hickups the core's had...

Soldato
i dont know.... i noticed the r/w speeds are lower yet the price is higher? could be a trap but given how badly ocz got ripped for the cores i think it would be suicide for them to try something like this.

also the name change, perhaps these are indications of a significant change? maybe they dont want to associate these drives with the hickups the core's had...

Well this is my point:
a) The use of "Solid" is to conjure pictures of a robust component - thus making it sound different from the pigs-ear hash of their previous drive.

b) They may have created a separate software driver - which delivers lower performance but still may use the same Jmicron controller - the heart of the problem.

c) They may have taken a new Jmicron or another vendor's controller that works hence a change in the cost and everything is as it should be.. that controller may not deliver the same performance..

Perhaps ocztony can point OCZ's sales/business development in the direction of this thread.
All three have no evidence to support them - hence until there's independent reviews that also test that the previous issues are fixed (without the need of a software driver to resolve part of the problem) we'll not know. That's the only way they'll recover their reputation.. they need todo it fast if they want to get in before christmas..

Last edited:
Soldato
OCZ will be releasing a completely new SSD very shortly...without the jmicron controller, I personally will wait and see what it is like.

Associate
Solid is budget series, Core budget to mainstream and (new drive) will be our first stab at high speed MLC.

Thats all I can say at this time

Soldato
Thats all I can say at this time

Do you know when the announcement is planned (rather than the actual announced availability date) ?

I'm certainly tempted by a drive for my MacBook Pro.. but I'm sticking clear of the Core/Solid but would be interested in the new drive if the reviews are favourable.

Back
Top Bottom