Resident Evil series = consistently good

Soldato
Hope you enjoy it then. Its one of the best games for the Wii, even if its just the same game with tacked on Wii controls. But its totally worth it, plus it has the extra content of the PS2 version so in essence, the Wii version is the complete final product, or what the Gamecube version SHOULD have been.

Soldato
Resi Evil 1 / 2 and 3 (up to a point were great) after that it went vastly downhill.

Resi Evil 4 was poor to say the very least. The game was so disjointed from the original games. They basically went to a 3rd person shooter. Gone were the great puzzles, tense atmosphere and epic storyline. It was a cash in on the name and nothing more.

I went through around 5 hours of the game just to see if it got better. It did not. Resi Evil 1-3 were great because of the camera angles, puzzles, acuracy when shooting, etc.

M.

Permabanned
code veronica is a fantastic game.

I Dont think re4 should have been as actiony as it was... It should have been more like silent hill.

I dont think another re1-3 style game would work anymore...

Man of Honour
I have to laugh at the people who say that 4 was nothing like the rest therefore it was rubbish.

At the time of Code Veronica it was already getting slated as not straying enough from its roots and Resident Evil 0 was dubbed as 'rehashing' old material, the new improvements were not taken well. The style had to change, there was nothing else to be done with it. It was great, but it had run its course.

To say 4 didn't have atmosphere is a joke. That village scene at the start was nerve wracking (running from the chainsaw man), the boss in the warehouse was frightening and creepy and the 'right hand man' boss was very creepy as well. And the fight with the 'it' monster through the cage... no atmohspere my bum!

Permabanned
it had a different sort of atmosphere.

It was too arcade and there was no real danger.

There was no story.

the first re games capture the feel of everything so well. You felt isolated, scared, alone. In RE4 your running around with a teenage tart and bashing the buttons so you dont get splatted.

Dont get me wrong I love re4 but its not where the re series should be going.

Permabanned
It had a story just as strong as its predecessors i thought?

Did it balls. You have to rescue the presidents daughter. No explanation of how she got kidnapped. why they kidnapped her, No explanation of the virus or anything.

It had about as much story as half life.

Soldato
Did it balls. You have to rescue the presidents daughter. No explanation of how she got kidnapped. why they kidnapped her, No explanation of the virus or anything.

I'm guessing from this that you never completed the game or read any of the diary entries scattered throughout the game. All of these were explained fully in both cut scenes and the aforementioned diary entries.

Permabanned
I'm guessing from this that you never completed the game or read any of the diary entries scattered throughout the game. All of these were explained fully in both cut scenes and the aforementioned diary entries.

I did both. Granted on my second run through I found loads of missed notes.

The wasnt as coherent as in the previous games.

Soldato
I did both. Granted on my second run through I found loads of missed notes.

The wasnt as coherent as in the previous games.

That just confuses me then, even though i played the game over a year ago i can still remember the answers to the parts you questioned:

[SPOILERS]

How she got kidnapped: She was kidnapped by one of the little dudes 'hands', his elite guard

Why she got kidnapped: To have the virus implanted within her in its dormant form and then was going to be returned to her father. When the virus activated it would assassinate/infect the president

What was the virus: It wasn't actually a virus, it was a species of parasite similar to a fungus that infects and controls ants (the fungus is actually real. After reading about it in the game i did some research) that was once worshiped by the ancestors of the bad guys. Due to an uprising the mines where the parasites lay were collapsed and forgotten about. The baddies had recently dug them up again and proceeded to infect the neighboring village with it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Another thing, why do people get peeved when they say Resident Evil 4 has no zombies... they might as well have been, they didn't act particuarly differently.

Soldato
I have to laugh at the people who say that 4 was nothing like the rest therefore it was rubbish.

At the time of Code Veronica it was already getting slated as not straying enough from its roots and Resident Evil 0 was dubbed as 'rehashing' old material, the new improvements were not taken well. The style had to change, there was nothing else to be done with it. It was great, but it had run its course.

To say 4 didn't have atmosphere is a joke. That village scene at the start was nerve wracking (running from the chainsaw man), the boss in the warehouse was frightening and creepy and the 'right hand man' boss was very creepy as well. And the fight with the 'it' monster through the cage... no atmohspere my bum!

It didn't have to change at all. The styling of the original games was superb. Very tense and a very good, easy to get into storyline.

Four may as well have been called Game X as, to me, it was a generic shooter. I didn't find one bit of it tense. There were no real puzzles to solve other than how to kill the enemies. Getting around was horrendous as the controls were awkward (especially the ladders).

Sorry mate but I disagree completley. I bought a PSX for the original Resident Evil. The latest one has been a disappointment. I haven't played any of the games on the other formats only PSX and PC.

M.

Soldato
To be honest, whats done is done and we will just have to live with the way the series has become now. I mean theres always the Slient Hill series, or the Fatal Frame series for something different.

Besides, if you were one that had kept up with the original development progress of Resident Evil 4, the game could have been a whole lot different back then i.e. the infamous Hook Man/Haunted House sequence which you can easily look up on Youtube.

Soldato
Dude, where did you get the patches / texture packs etc please ? I have this for the PC and am going to give it a go soon. Cheers.
Here you go dude:D

http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showforum=10

You need to look in the forums but they have direct links to the lot of them plus loads more. Thriving RE4 PC mod community:D making the game look next gen on the PC:eek:

The ones in my screenies came to about 3Gb in total (I also have all the PS2 cutscenes which some RE fan ripped from the PS2 disc then re-encoded for the PC at much higher quality!!) but they have zipped them up and put them on high speed direct downloads so its all good.

Post your screenies here so everyone can see how good you can make it look.

Soldato
Yep in my view its worse than the PS2 version, apart from being able to play in a higher resolution. The graphics have been touched up a bit with an official patch, but controls are still crap as there is no mouse support. Its still best played with a PS2 style pad or the Xbox 360 controller. Its just typical of console to PC ports. Just get the Wii version if you have that console since its the absolute best version of them all.
Sorry but your not very well informed. PC version is actually the best by far.

Check out the screenshots I took of what it can look like after downloading a few mods.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=12820012&postcount=46

PC version has the best gfx of this game and almost zero loading times plus a thriving mod community who have created many quality extras to give the true RE PC fans a lot more enjoyment out of it.

All the PC version lacks is the real time custcenes which only the Gamecube got. It even has more content than the highly acclaimed PS2 version as well as being technically much stronger.

Biggest mistake Capcom made was allowing someone else to port it (they now handle all PC ports themselves) and Ubisoft to publish it. The EU version was released to retail unpatched then a little later the official patch came out which modifies almost every file installed. The US version includes the patch as it came out several months after the EU.

But since then RE fans have created some incredible stuff like fake HDR mods, high res textures, re-encoded cutscenes taken directly from the PS2 version, & loads of weapon, costume & skin mods.

The game looks like it could be a current game with just the fake HDR & high res textures. Give it another chance as its well worth it.

Caporegime
Here you go dude:D

http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showforum=10

You need to look in the forums but they have direct links to the lot of them plus loads more. Thriving RE4 PC mod community:D making the game look next gen on the PC:eek:

The ones in my screenies came to about 3Gb in total (I also have all the PS2 cutscenes which some RE fan ripped from the PS2 disc then re-encoded for the PC at much higher quality!!) but they have zipped them up and put them on high speed direct downloads so its all good.

Post your screenies here so everyone can see how good you can make it look.
Thanks you very much :D

Back
Top Bottom