SSD - queries

Soldato
Just a quick paranoia check before i click buy.

Im going to buy a OCZ Solid Series 30GB 2.5"

I know some ppl have had problems, but i think ill risk it

My questions are
Im going to install windows vista 64, and boot from it.

1) is it a case of plugging in a SATA cable from it into my mobo?
2) are there any issues with a ip-35 pro
3) do i have to do anythign special to install windows?
4) will i regret getting one, will i see an speed improvement?
5) is there a god :)

is there anything else i should know?

Associate
In reply to your questions:

1: Yes, and the power cable as well of course.
2: I believe the IP35 has the ICH 9 Northbridge. The Intel chipsets seem to be those that cause the most problems. Having said that I have installed one in a small netbook (Intel Atom based) that uses the older ICH7 and that was OK after a lot of 'optimising'. I was using XP though.
3: As far as installing goes no, nothing special, but there are many 'tweaks' that can be applied to make the most of the SSD after Windows has been installed. I don't see this as a problem with the drives, it's just that Windows has been optimised to produce best results with rotating hard drives, the SSD type of device brings a new set of challenges to the OS.
4: In my case no and yes!
5: Yes/No/Maybe, it's your choice!

Go along to the OCZ tech forum to see lots of help and advice on how to get the best from / solve problems with / their product.

Associate
sod it ill get it.

damn someone beat me to it
That made me LOL, sorry :p

5) It seems there is, because now you can get an mtron :D You`ll have no problems, their slc based and the 32GB version is now only double the price of the 30GB OCZ drive. If I was in your situation and had the cash I`d go for it.

Associate
Wait

Something looks to be going on with SSD that OC are keeping in stock.

Id wait until next week and see what happens :p

The new OCZ are out also, so that may be relevant to stock levels atm.

doc

doc

Associate
Something looks to be going on with SSD that OC are keeping in stock.

Id wait until next week and see what happens :p

The new OCZ are out also, so that may be relevant to stock levels atm.

v3 are out before Xmas with limited availability. Higher stock levels after Xmas.

Vertex are the new "budget" range with performance (relatively) to match.

Associate
v3 are out before Xmas with limited availability. Higher stock levels after Xmas.

Vertex are the new "budget" range with performance (relatively) to match.

no man you have that the wrong way round...here we go...;)

Vertex is a high performance MLC part, the drives have either 32MB or 64MB cache. These are launched this month with limited availability...more in Jan.

There will be no Core V3...I have what you would call the V3 on test on my laptop here but it will be launched with a new name.
This is the more budget priced part and will come Q1 09.

hope this clears a few things up ;)

PS if you guys want fast and cheap...2x30GB Solid drives on a good hardware raid card will kill any Intel drive for sequential reads and writes. random writes are fast also..easily fast enough to never stutter. Just make sure you get a card with PCIE2X or 4X connectivity and a fast IO processor and at least 128MB cache (2 drives) 256MB+ for 4 drives.

Back
Top Bottom