Could a scratched waterblock be affecting my temps.

Associate
Ok ive got a

Q6600 go
xspc triple radiator
d5 vario pump
Ek water block (can remember exactly which one about £30)

But my 400fsb 3.6ghz temps on prime95 load for about 15mins went up to 75degrees!!!

I did notice when i built it that the waterblock was quite badly and deeply scratched, could that be it?

Last edited:
Associate
Hiya mate, Not a professional on this sort of stuff myself but through my experience with water cooling i wouldn't expect a scratched piece of equipment would effect it much unless it's on the base as which sits on the cpu, Have you checked for any blockages, is everything flowing through smoothly, i use a Q6600 overclocked to 3.6 ghz myself with a (Crappy) Thermaltake waterblock and reach a maximum of 45 using prime 95 for a fair while.
By the way, Just out of curiousity why are you actually using a deeply scratched CPU Block? :)

Last edited:
Associate
I would suggest so hehe, In future, If you get a product that's not to your standards, Send it / Take it back, Specially if your going to be using water cooling :)

Associate
Check the input tube (Pump side) is connected to the near center barb ..

p1010649.jpg

check the hold down plate is not catching on something .. (i.e. caps)

when you take the block off , check if your TIM is evenly spread ..

finaly .. if you still have high temp problems .. strip the block down and see if there is any blockages in the copper grooves ...

;)

Last edited:
Soldato
75c with a triple rad (with fans attached and running at 7v or more) and ek supreme that's sounds very wrong.

If the scratches have raised elements (mountains) then the block may not be sitting flat which could have a major affect on temps.

If the scratches are just scratches (valleys) then the TIM you used will fill them for only a 2-3c differance even if quiet bad.

Does the block rock from side to side if you losen the fixings?
Can you see the water moving in your res/tubes?
Does ramping up the fans have a major (or only minor) affect on temps.
Are you sure you've removed all the bubbles?
Is the block new (I hope not if scratched) as is secondhand may be filled with gunk

let us know

Soldato
Takes about half an hour per block. You can get by with 10 minutes though. It's worth it and makes them look all shiny. :)

To me it seems daft buying expensive watercooling kit and not lapping it. There's 3-8 degrees in it usually. And if yours is scratched then it could be sitting uneven.

Nah, it's not the water. Check for any kinks in the tubing though.

Soldato
I've always felt it's not realistic to expect a waterblock or heatsink to come with a mirror finish. In order to do that it'd ramp the price up so I've never grumbled about doing it myself. It's one of those things building your own PC that you really can't mess up, so I don't mind.

Sure it's a bit crap that yours had a scratch in it, but just use medium grit sandpaper to start off with and don't stop with that until the scratch is gone.

Back
Top Bottom