Narks of your fellow commuters

Associate
Stop using public transport. :D

I have never been to Northern Ireland so I can't comment, but the roads in the South East of England are so rammed, that despite all of the valid moans listed here, I would still far rather travel by train than drive.

I use South West Trains, and my train has Quiet Carriages, so I usually can sit and read in peace and comfort on my commute home.

Soldato
I walk 10 minutes to work every day... no narks for me!... In my last job I drove to work, I just remember getting annoyed with people who don't park properly in the work carpark!

Associate
I'm really not one to rant about such things but this does play on my mind so here goes!! :)

There's this one guy who's always on my train...I don't even know him, he might be a nice enough fellow...
Anyway, every night he'll do this dash to be first on the train - not pushing or anything, just a dash to be 1st and it makes me mad!! I have no idea why...perhaps its because he's being so petty. I swear one day I'll snap and run ahead of him making sure he 'loses'.
Haha...i need to grow up. I'm gonna forget about this from now on. I've vented it on the Internet. All is good....breathe...

Haha that guy sounds funny! :D

People who stop with no warning.

I don't think i've ever seen or heard anyone issue a warning when stopping (walking?) lol (IM ABOUT TO STOP WALKING WATCH OUT)

I think i know what you mean though, where they just stop all of a sudden and u almost tumble into them :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I've never known the quiet carriage to really be any quieter than the normal carriages. Last time I was in one there was a big group of people drinking (alcohol ;)), normally people don't realise until they're on, and then can't be bothered to move to another carriage... I also find it funny how noisy that chime on the door is sometimes.

People who stop on the left (right in the UK) on escalators blocking it for people who want to continue walking and not stand like a lemon.

you are meant to stand on the right in the UK (London at least) :p

Soldato
Mine has to be chavs at the back of the bus playing crap music on their phones and smoking. This seems to be the normal things on Birmingham buses as nearly all of them are double decker. I'm so glad I can walk to Uni this year as the bus trip every day was annoying.

Soldato
lol fair enough then, I just guessed we stand on different sides like the side of the road we drive on, I've only been to London a few times so couldn't remember :)

There's your problem there is no standard across the country, no wonder it leads to chaos. Here in Birmingham there is a ramp that says keep left, also at school we were taught to keep left in corridors yet London is keep right.

Associate
Old people rushing to get onto the train to get good seats before people get off, some really ignorant old people in particular out there.

This.
It's invariably an old person trait and it's particularly annoying when you're trying to get off a packed train\metro.

Also:
People who saunter down the middle of a carriage to sit down. Only to get off at the next stop, thus having to squeeze past everyone who got on after them. And I don't mean long distances, I mean 1 minute rides between metro stops.

People who spend all day shopping with their screeching offspring in prams or pushchairs, laden with Primark bags, and expect to be able to fit onto a train or metro in rush hour. Buy a watch and leave town half an hour ealier....

People who get on a train, find an unreserved seat, plonk their coat and bag down and go wander off to the buffet car for most of the journey.

People who leave their half eaten egg mayo sandwich on the table in front of them when they get off.

EDIT:

Also, people who remove the reserved notices from the back of seats, then argue that there wasn't one there in the first place. It's usually under their feet....

Last edited:
Associate
Getting narked at the legs far apart thing is a tad unfair to be honest, it's not all about the baubles! I'm not even that tall at 6'3" but on most of the trains up here I can't sit with my legs forward as the space they allocate really is pitiful. I also avoid sitting at the table seats since the only way I can get my legs in is by squatting into a seated position out in the aisle followed by a sideways shuffle into position. It's not a good look.

Soldato
Mine has to be chavs at the back of the bus playing crap music on their phones and smoking. This seems to be the normal things on Birmingham buses as nearly all of them are double decker. I'm so glad I can walk to Uni this year as the bus trip every day was annoying.

I love my bus route, goes through Harborne to Quinton/Woodgate/Northfield depending which one I get and I am always greeted with entertainment, the lovely aroma of weed and a healthy debate on current issues.

It isn't normally too bad when commuting, far more workers than wannabe gangsters and I tend to find any who are braap braaping tend to keep to themselves when the bus is packed full of suits.

There's your problem there is no standard across the country, no wonder it leads to chaos. Here in Birmingham there is a ramp that says keep left, also at school we were taught to keep left in corridors yet London is keep right.

To be fair, going up on the right can lead to a stabbing...

Soldato
I completely agree with this, also people who randomly stop in the middle of where im trying to go. Some woman did this while shopping yesterday and i complained at them :mad: and then she claimed she wasnt in the way!

Its the Buggy Brigade that annoy the hell out of me... you know who I mean, three or four mothers (in or barely out of their teens) with pushchairs choose the narrow bit of pavement to congegregate and have this weeks postnatal meeting.

Soldato
Mine window openers despite being minus 2 outside........why! :D

I do this, love my room to be FREEZING before I go to bed. It's a weird obsession.

Mine has to be those chavvy people that walk around winging their shoulders side to side like a monkey. They look very stupid. I believe it is called 'bopping'.

And people playing music so everyone else can hear on their phones.

Associate
I commute on buses:

Mobile phone speaker music - these guys aren't gonna develop ear problems unfortunately, and I would put a law against any mobile phones to have loudspeaker music features if I had the power (can we start a petition?). If these kids aren't always in a pack of 4 or 5, I'd promptly tell them to turn the damn things off (if they're alone they tend to become a scared little kid and bring out their earphones, instead of a hardcore gangsta when they're outnumbering you)
That's why I bought myself an iPod and I use in-ear earphones. Still, after realising recently that they're still faintly audioble to people around you, I make the habit of turning it down a nodge when someone's sitting next to me.

Smokers - again these guys only do it when they're in pacts...

Mobile phone screamers - I sometimes use my commute time to make weekend arrangements with friends, but I don't shout like these guys do. My friends can hear me fine so I don't understand why anyone needs to shout at all.

Flirters - I'm quite surprised at how often this happens on my bus, when creepy men try to flirt with girls, and I don't even take the late night buses... This does occasionally provide amusements.

Drunks - for obvious reasons... The above aren't always drunks.

Weirdos - for obvious reasons...

Faredodgers - dunno why anyone still tries to do this, the bus driver always just turn off the engine and everyone has to wait for ages before the dodger admits defeat and go back downstairs.

Stupid parents - a toddler should never be sat on their own seat without the parent's full attention. I've seen a kid falling off the seat and banging their head on the floor when the bus stopped.

Still, I quite enjoy commuting via public transport for the perks:

- People watching
- Exchanges glances with pretty girls
- Watching cute kids / babies getting all excited about the bus journey
- Occasional chat with a stranger (the non-weirdos)
- Time to just relax and not worry about anything (I don't get stressed out by being late if I get stuck in traffic - it's not gonna get me there quicker)

Soldato
Buses:
  • They fly by you, pull in front of you
  • They pull into the bus stop and still have the buses a$$ on the road blocking it :rolleyes:

Taxi Drivers:
  • They are dangerous
  • They cut you up
  • They stop dead on in front of you
  • They are totally 100% impatient
  • They go through red lights all the time

Cyclists:
  • Go through red lights ALL the time
  • They are too slow, I'm on my bike stuck behind someone pushing off the saddle at 9MPH, I'm used to doing 29mph on these stretched not 9mph.

General drivers:
  • Dont pay attention to cyclists
  • Cut you up

Drunks:
    Stand in middle of road
    Tell me "you're not in France m8", although this was quite funny :p

I probably could go on forever.

Back
Top Bottom