• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Windows 7 Graphics Performance Preview

Associate
:confused: Vista does have hardware audio acceleration. MS removed the DirectSound 3D Hardware extension API in Vista. It was for a good reason overall if you read into it. But Creative and Asus have had there soundcards working in Vista with hardware acceleration for ages, it just needed some drastic changes to the drivers.

OpenAL works and you can make older games run through things like Alchemy(which completely ruins the acceleration part), that is nowhere as good as before.

Soldato
Interesting about the clocks. I suppose you could simulate 3D mode for the WEI by upping the 2D clocks in rivatuner?

I tried upping my clocks in both 2D and 3D mode by about 15% using rivatuner but didn't see any difference in WEI. Although from what rivertuner was showing, it used the same clock speeds for 2D as for 3D mode by default.
Incidentally, I upped my Q6600 to 3.45GHz from 3, and now my CPU WEI is at 6.9. I actually took it all the way up to 3.6GHz (not Prime stable, and running hot) but didn't get any more WEI increases, and I didn't fancy going any higher on air since I clearly have an inadequate cooler!

BTW, has anyone got SpeedFan working on (64-bit) w7? It fails to run on 64-bit 6801 and while it did run on 32-bit 6801 on my old laptop, it failed to detect any temperatures (and while it is a laptop, when on XP it did detect one temperature).

Associate
OP
@ PCZ, you shouldn't use drivers from CD's, they're always old and buggy. New drivers are on Creatives site for X-Fi. This is what i'm using on Win7, along with NV 185 Beta drivers for my 280.

I wouldn't say gaming performance is equal to XP though, i've got round to playing about 20 games now, all popular ones, and it's almost exactly equal to Vista. But loading times and random stutters are deffinately better on Win7 than on Vista when both are only using 3GB RAM. I cant get some Source engine based games to run though.

To be honest i'd be happy with that performance, there has never been a Windows release that has had better gaming performance that the last OS (in terms of max frame rates anyway), so if MS manage to match there previous OS Vista for gaming it would be a first.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Just installed Windows 7 and i gotta say its miles better than Vista..... i was running Vista x64 too and this 32bit version flys. Id rather keep this beta version than put Vista x64 back on.

Roll on the 64bit version as that will be a keeper for me. :)

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
But loading times and random stutters are deffinately better on Win7 than on Vista

Thats my impression as well.
Actual max FPS hasn't changed much but loading times are better and games run smoother.
Bad description but they run like they do on a clean XP install.

Haven't got many source games to try i am not really into HL or CS.
More Oblivion, Bioshock, Fallout 3 and old FPS's like Painkiller and Prey.

Actually that the older stuff works for me is more important, as the new stuff with certainly get a patch but the old games wont.

Soldato
This is killing me man, sounds like you guys have a 99% working new O/S :eek:

If anyone wants to lob me a copy then mail me in trust, thanks in advance lol! :D

It really does feel complete especially for a beta! Having no problems here running sweet as a nut very stable!

All drivers installed without fail, for once my audigy2 actually installed without a hitch, which is something good for me as Vista was a pain in the butt! Don't get me wrong though i loved vista, but W7 is so much better.

Associate
OP
Theres loads of tests done here with Win7, comparing it to Vista and XP.
A 1 is given to the OS that completed the task quickest. As you can see Win7 beats Vista and XP in almost all the tests. The systems tested on are pretty average too, nothing high-end.

I've also just noticed that Win7 does not disabled Aero, like Vista does, when a game is running. But theres no performance hit with it still enabled.

And if you're using Win7... you see the default background pic, with a Male Siamese Fighter fish, i have one exactly the same, called Jimbob :cool:

Soldato
Hmm, my Vista x64 Gaming Rig is actually due a reformat. And with my new TV/monitor coming on Sunday I think this would be the perfect time to make the jump.

Hopefully Windows get their official release sorted before then :D

Back
Top Bottom