Overheating query

Associate
A friend asked me to post this. Been trying to help him sort...

I'm having problems with my cooling, meaning my CPU and GPU are
running far hotter than they should be.

Specs:
CPU - Intel q6600
GPU - nVidia GeForce 8800GT (Latest drivers)
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
Memory - 2GB unbranded RAM

Here's a screenshot of my current temperatures -
http://www.goruchaf.info/images/speedfan.jpg

When I play a game (Counterstrike Source being an example) my core
temps go up to 90-95, and even went up to 125 until I cleaned out the
CPU fan and re-seated it.

I've updated my BIOS to ensure the temperatures are being read
correctly, turned up my fans to 100% using RivaTuner (made a very
marginal difference, knocked off like 5 degrees from the GPU
temperature), and left the case off in a cool room, and the
temperature is still running insanely high.

I thought the temperatures must be being read incorrectly, but when
they go up too hot I get horrendously bad performance, with my FPS in
CS:Source dropping down to 20-30 with an FPS config and 25 odd
processes running.

Any help greatly appreciated, and if anymore information is required
let me know.

Associate
OP
safe yeah...but idle temp :S?

And hes reseated his CPU with new thermal paste. Stiock cooler on the CPU btw. I mean fair enough if it was sturggling to keep it low in use, but that high idle?

Soldato
Have you tried measuring with coretemp, iirc its more accurate than speedfan and certainly more reliable than bios.
Your voltages according to speedfan are showing all over the place, how is bios reporting them, similar figures?
I wouldn't worry with a modern graphics card hitting 90 degrees on load with a 50-60 idle, but the cpu temps are certainly very worrying. The fact that you have said it hit 125 sounds unlikely as the cpu should cut out and switch the system off long before then.

What psu are you running, also are you getting performance issues with other games?

Associate
I don't know if this might help but when I flashed to the latest BIOS on a ABIT IP-35 pro, it read the temps on my q6600 way too high. Something about the new BIOS being designed for for the die shrink to 45. When I flashed to a previous BIOS the temps read correctly. Might be worth a try

Associate
OP
He did use thermal transfer compound between CPU and HSF?

Yup. Took off the HS cleaned off all the old TP and reapplied some then reseated the HSF.

Pinkfloyd Will get an answer off him. I know bios temps are the same. Not sure what else hes used to monitor temp.

I don't know if this might help but when I flashed to the latest BIOS on a ABIT IP-35 pro, it read the temps on my q6600 way too high. Something about the new BIOS being designed for for the die shrink to 45. When I flashed to a previous BIOS the temps read correctly. Might be worth a try

He was running the F4 gigabyte bios originally and i got him to flash it up to F12 last night to see if it remedied it. Hes running a gigabyte P35 DS3.

Associate
He was running the F4 gigabyte bios originally and i got him to flash it up to F12 last night to see if it remedied it. Hes running a gigabyte P35 DS3.

flash-back!!! :)D) seriously though, flash back to a previous BIOS and check.

Associate
OP here, now my account has been authorised.

Indeed, I was getting high temps with F4 bios as well as F12, is it still worth flashing back?

Left the PC off overnight, and just booted it up and checked SpeedFan as soon as I got into Windows (and then verified with CoreTemp), and these were the readings:

www.goruchaf.info/images/speedfancoldboot.JPG

Also, I was playing Left4Dead for like 3 minutes last night and I took this screenshot:

www.goruchaf.info/images/speedfanleft4dead.jpg

Associate
Well the core temps are meaningless, but the CPU temp might just be correct, and at 92 does indicate it's getting hot. Use RealTemp and try the 'Sensor Test' function, see if the values make any sort of sense.

Associate
I would say your sensors are working OK, the core temps in RealTemp look 'sensible' too, so if under load you're reaching >90deg then your cooling is not working. I would re-seat the HSF, again I know, but maybe it was not done right. Too much or too little compound, or not sitting flat on the face of the CPU, or a foreign object causing a small gap. Something like that.

Another question - is this running at stock voltages? Check the voltages and overclock, set at stock and retest if not.

Associate
Surely the odds of it being badly seated twice in a row are slim to none?

I mean, I took it out, cleaned it all, wiped all the paste off, re-applied it (one small streak down the middle, taking instructions from http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1232876) and made sure it all clipped back in fine.

I don't see what point I could have gone wrong, especially since it would mean I'd done it twice...

And yes, it's all running at stock. I've checked everything in BIOS numerous times, and restored to optimized defaults also.

Associate
Surely the odds of it being badly seated twice in a row are slim to none?

I mean, I took it out, cleaned it all, wiped all the paste off, re-applied it (one small streak down the middle, taking instructions from http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1232876) and made sure it all clipped back in fine.

I don't see what point I could have gone wrong, especially since it would mean I'd done it twice...

Dunno what else to say really, maybe the CPU or HSF contact faces are warped and a bit of lapping would help.

Back
Top Bottom