The official Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Thread

Associate
Remove that competitor quick sharp and Id suggest reading the FAQ! Also although you could really just read the thread ill help you anyway. :)
REV 01 is the new firmware which has "apparently" fixed the input lag of the monitor down to a reasonable level. This is the time it takes for the monitor to recieve the picture outputted by ur graphics card. Before particularly games but even windows should severe signs of ghosting etc.
Calibration is not necessarily necessary I dont think but will help greatly, especially seeing as you are going to be using them for photo work. On this point please bare in mind that the monitor is wide gamut meaning unless properly colour managed photos will appear oversaturated.

Hope this helps.BA

Sorry for posting the competitor in previous post, i should have read the FAQ first, my mistake.

Ok, so the REV A01 should be ok then, hopefully.

But what if Dell comes out with a new firmware for this monitor in future, can i for example update my A01 with a new firmware if there is one avaliable or do i have to simply get a new monitor?

Have anyone compared this 2408WFP with the 2208WFP monitor, i know there is a TN panel in the 2208 instead of the PVA in this one but what i would like to know is if there is a big differance between these two.
(I have never owned a TN panel monitor before)

Anyway, thanks for your answer blackapache;)

Soldato
I got an A01 yesterday and have played a few games with it and watched some 720p content / 1080p trailers and it's been flawless - the input lag the A00 has is non existant in this revision.

The monitors aren't user serviceable so you'd have to send it back to get the firmware updated and even then I don't think Dell accept returns just for a new revision so you'd be hard pressed to update without just buying a new one!

Can't comment more specifically on the TN / PVA question other than to say the viewing angles on the 2408 are excellent :)

The A01 is very close to the A04 of the 2407s ... well worth investing in!

Associate
Yes there are very helpful.
Just a quick question has anyone hooked up freeview to this monitor yet as im not sure how freeview will play?

Associate
Overclockers have lost my custom with regard to the AO1 revision. I've been sitting around here waiting since last summer, and I've finally managed to find a retailer on line that is shipping the latest update. I've placed an order that will arrive on Tuesday!

Associate
Had my phone call from Dell support guy on the 7th (as he promised over a month ago), and he said he hasnt had official confirmation that Dell are shipping only A01 revisions now, but he did know that some people had received new ones directly so he has arranged for another new one to be shipped out to me. He (and me) both hope that I get the monitor I'm after this week (fingers crossed) so will be able to report back on that as soon as I get it.

I asked if it's possible that I can have both the new one and my existing A00 in my possesion at the same time. He said no probs, so it's not due to go back until the 16th (Seriously hope the new one does turn up this week, otherwise I'm back to my 19" CRT :eek: ). If I have both at the same time then will attempt to take some pics comparing the 'input lag' if my camera is up to it.

joni944 you asked about freeview. I dont know exactly how you intend to connect freeview to the screen, but my TV card in my PC (obviously playing through my PC and graphics card using Windows Media Centre) plays digital TV signal very well. Is this what you mean ?

Associate
Yes... sorry... forgot to let you guys know.

I got back into work on Monday after a long Christmas break to have the next in a long line of Dell monitors thrust upon me. I cant confirm whether OCUK are shipping out the A01 revision yet, but I can confirm that Dell UK are. At least they did do me. WoooHoooo. :D Finally I have the monitor I paid my money for all those months ago.

Part No is 0G286H Revision A01. Manufactured in October 2008.

Basically... input lag better, sharpness set to 40 is cracking, no dead pixels, no scratches, no power saving problems, a bit of backlight bleed in the corners but I am willing to put up with it as its only noticeable on a fully black screen. It's great... I'm keeping it.

It's late now, but if I remember tomorrow, I'll give you a bit more detail.

Last edited:
Associate
As promised here is some more detail and some pics I took during testing.

I set my new A01 monitor to exactly the same colour, brightness and contrast settings as the old A00. When sat side by side I was amazed at how different the colours were. I dont think this is startling as all screens will produce slightly different pictures, but I was a little amazed at how different they were. (see pic1 and pic2).

Pic1

Pic2

I then did a little test with a window spread over the 2 screens. I've seen it done before in a video test for the A00 monitor to show input lag, so I thought I'd do it between the A00 and A01. Anyone who doesnt believe the A00 suffers from lag, then take a look at the comparison, I'm sure you will agree that there is a delay on the A00 on the left hand side. (see vid1)

Vid1

I then did the old stopwatch test from http://tft.vanity.dk/. I've seen pics where people have managed to get all 3 number in the milliseconds section to change, but I dont know how.
I apologise for the quality of the pics, my camera obviously isnt quick enough to capture the numbers brilliantly, but I think you can make out some of the figures. I've condensed the pics down to 1 image each to save on space in the forum.

Pic 3 shows the CRT-A00 timings (I'd say A00 is about 40-50ms behind)

Pic 4 shows the CRT-A01 timings (I'd say A01 is about 30-40ms behind)

Pic 5 shows the A00-A01 timings (so you'd think the diff would be about 10ms, but .... :confused: seems like about 30ms again !?)

Someone else look at them and tell me I'm reading it wrong.
If I'm not, then I can only assume there is some difference between my DVI1 and DVI2 port on my graphics card. If there is, then it pretty much renders all these tests pointless.

Anyway.... that is all I have. I'm deffo still keeping this A01, as I still think the pic it produces is stunning. You should see my PS3 connected to it via HDMI. Blu-Ray looks GORGEOUS.

Keep posting on this thread about your Dell A01 hunt, I shall continue to read with interest.

Associate
Unfortunately no. It was very late when I took the pics and I didnt really study them at the time.
I had to pack up the A00 monitor and get it into work to send it back to Dell. When I did get round to looking at the photos the next day, I thought exactly the same thing as you.... should have switched the connections.

The only thing I can confirm is that the A01 is better. It just feels right now. I could tell the input lag was reduced as soon as I moved my first window around the screen.

If you ignore the A00vA01 comparison photo, then I think the other photos show this, as the CRT was plugged into the same DVI slot for both the A00 and A01 test.

Gotta go, work beckons. :(

Associate
Im in the same situation Rob! I cant decide which monitor to go for, its pretty much between the HP LP2475W and the new rev 2408. The NEC 24WMGX3 seems to be getting goodish reviews, but so do all new screens. Also not sure I could live with the NEC's tacky glossy bezel. Hazro have gone quiet so its highly likely they are cooking up a new rev 24" which I guess will iron out the issues the earlier models had.

Soldato
Nice tests gazeroo. Looks to me like the A00 is about 50ms and the A01 about 20-30ms, thus making the A01 about 20-30ms faster.

I have a 2407 A04 at home and an original 2408 at work and the lag on the latter drives me bonkers, even just using Windows. I had a play with a brand new 2408 A01 at the weekend and it was so much better than the one I have at work and felt as responsive as my 2407.

Soldato
I would say definitely include the 2408 A01 in your list of monitors to choose from Robert - it has a nice array of inputs when compared to those other monitors and the Dell design in my opinion is very high quality - the 2407/8 both just look the business on any desk!

I haven't tried mine with any HMDI inputs but the screen works wonders with HD content via the pc - even just 720p is scaled very nicely.

I was messing about with the 1:1 pixel setting and had the Wii component input selected at the time and was shocked just how small 480p really is on such a screen lol

Back
Top Bottom