Replace PSU in Arctic Cooling Silentium??

Associate
About four years ago I bought (from overclockers naturally :)) an Artic cooling silentium case see (http://www.arctic-cooling.com/pc_case2.php?idx=142). It is a really nice case, very quiet, which has its own special PSU at the bottom of the case near the front. The machine has worked fine for many years but just recently has developed the habit of switching itself off whilst in use. It doesn't seem to matter what the machine is doing, in fact it switches itself off whilst just sat in the BIOS so I'm guessing the PSU is failing. Does this sound likely? There have been no hardware changes for a couple of years.

Has anyone had one of these cases and replaced the PSU? and if so with what? The case does not have any support bars at the top where you would expect them for a normal ATX 2.0 PSU. How are PSU's normally fitted to cases?

TIA

Jeremy

Associate
Have a look at the PSU itself, chances are that theres a part number on it somewhere. Then do the usual google for it and get a model number, then see whats available.

Associate
it dosent appear to be a normal atx type psu but its hard to tell as not many pics are around of it.

If you could post some high res pics of the psu the hdd cage and the general psu area it would be helpful also undeneath the case.

I personaly would mod it to allow for a standard atx psu sitting vertically. It may mean removing & creating a new hdd cage though as well as a cage to hold the psu securely.

Soldato
Ooooo i remember this case! Its pretty cool! Mate of mine did a build in one about 3 years ago (back when we both had athlon64's), we had the comical disscussion of "nahhhh the cd drive doesnt go in from the front...." (we were rather hungover which makes it sort of ok...)

Anyway! sounds like your psu could be giving up (or somethigns up with the motherboard), the psu is a special size/type which is in a compressed case with the fans also being the case fans (normal psus are bigger with a fan attached and go at the top of the case.

I was interested in getting one of these back in the day, but gave up as the psu didnt seem powerfull enough, but i was running on the assumption that the internals of the psu provided are standard so you could in theory rip apart a new psu and house it in the old casing then put it back in the pc.... Cooling wise this could be bad so google an official replacement first...

Soldato
I take it you clean out the system every now and then to remove dust build up?

Are all the system fans operating?

What are temps like when it shuts off?

Might be heat issues rather than power.

Associate
OP
I take it you clean out the system every now and then to remove dust build up?

Are all the system fans operating?

What are temps like when it shuts off?

Might be heat issues rather than power.

Yeah, borrowed the missus hairdryer (she gave me a funny look:D), there was a ton of crud in there to clean out, but it has gone.

All the fans whirl.

Temps are stone cold, sometimes I'll get a couple of hours before it turns off, other times 2mins. If I put it in the BIOS from the off, i.e. no 3D graphics or anything much at all going on, it still shuts down after a variable period of time.

I've tried with the case side off as well and no improvement so I don't think it is a temp. issue.

Thanks for the thought tho!

Associate
OP
To the OP: replacement from Arctic Cooling's about the only solution I believe. IIRC from when I had one, it's custom Seasonic unit designed only for that model of case. Not a chance in hell of getting owt else in there.

I was wondering about leaving the original in and ignoring it and fitting a std. part at the top where the PSU normally goes. Do the screws in the back of std. PSU's (where they are attached to the case) actually support the weight or are there normally rails under the PSU to take it?

Soldato
Sorry mate - I have one of these, its lovely - but the PSU is definately custom fit, so your only chances are a replacement from Arctic Cooling, or a custom 'bodge job' to fit a small factor one into the gap somewhere?

Would be interested to know how you get on if you do manage a replacement!

Soldato
If you can, I would suggest you borrow a PSU from someone and install it outside the case. That way you will be able to be sure it is the PSU before sourcing what might be an expensive replacement.

Associate
OP
If you can, I would suggest you borrow a PSU from someone and install it outside the case. That way you will be able to be sure it is the PSU before sourcing what might be an expensive replacement.

I'm an idiot! Don't know why I didn't think of that, certainly a top idea, especially as I'm considering doing a bit of future proofing and getting a Corsair PSU.

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Associate
OP
Sorry mate - I have one of these, its lovely - but the PSU is definately custom fit, so your only chances are a replacement from Arctic Cooling, or a custom 'bodge job' to fit a small factor one into the gap somewhere?

Would be interested to know how you get on if you do manage a replacement!

After the earlier suggestion to get the PSU part number I found this discussion(http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1206) where someone is trying to do what I want. This guy was actually prepared to take the PCB out of an existing ATX supply and solder it in!!! I think I'd set the house on fire if I tried that! So I guess I'm looking at a "custom 'bodge job'". If I ever do it I'll send piccies....

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Soldato
After the earlier suggestion to get the PSU part number I found this discussion(http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1206) where someone is trying to do what I want. This guy was actually prepared to take the PCB out of an existing ATX supply and solder it in!!! I think I'd set the house on fire if I tried that! So I guess I'm looking at a "custom 'bodge job'". If I ever do it I'll send piccies....

If you do pin it down to the PSU I would definately contact Arctic Cooling. Their latest version of that case has a 550W PSU, so I don't see why they wouldn't sell one seperately.

Associate
OP

I tested with my main rig PSU and as suspected it was the original PSU that had failed.

After emailing Arctic cooling about replacement options and waiting several weeks with no reply, I decided to get the drill out and fit a normal atx supply.

Finished the job today and have pictures but can't figure out how I add them to the thread. Suffice to say a std PSU fits if you are happy to hang it off three rather than the four screws and of course my new PSU is probably worth more than the CPU/MB combo :D

Thanks again guys, The kids are Happy!!!

Just edited to add the pics after Matthew told me how, thanks Matthew & I hope it helps someone else!

6p2gqt.jpg

2r7tsg8.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom