24" to 30" Screens - Advice on the options available

Associate
Hi,

There looks to be a lot of posts asking for monitor advice. But I can't find any that answer my specific requirements... or at least not specifically/directly answer them.

Last January (2008) I bought an OcUK Value L2442W 24" monitor from OC and loved it (DGM branded). I'm told it's a VA panel. The quality is perfect for my needs.

My needs are as a web development and design screen and a lounge movie screen. The primary use is for web development, I need the solid and even screen picture. I've not played a game on a PC for donkey's years, so response time is not an issue with the exception of being used for DVD movies.

I'm now looking for an additional screen as I would like to move this DGM to another room. I'm looking for a screen of equal quality, perhaps a little bigger.

I've looked around and noticed that the DGM is no longer available. So I've been looking at some recommended alternatives, which are slightly bigger... 26"/28"/30" and they all appear to be TN panels, not VA.

Before I bought the DGM, I bought a 22" LG L226WTQ Widescreen monitor (elsewhere), and the screen quality was diabolical... it went back as faulty but then realised it was the technology used... likely a TN (unsure). The issue I had was when looking at it straight on as sitting at it working, a solid colour varied in shade and brightness from top to bottom, left to right which was absolutely no good for me. The DGM is solid.... love it!

I've looked at reviews and threads for several screens like Samsung SM2693HM 26", and the Hanns.G HG281D 28" and they all say great screen... the reviews are glowing. But looking at another site they appear to be TN screens?

So a few questions if I may...

If the type of panel can make all the difference, why do the specs not mention what panel type it is?
If anyone that has seen the quality of the DGM L2442W 24", how does this compare to the Samsung and Hanns.G ?

I understand that with any quality LCD, we're talking big money with the larger LCDs... another alternative is to have dual higher quality 24" screens... however I'm still faced with the issue of not knowing which panel is used as they don't mention this in the specs. I would prefer one screen though.

The crux of the matter is, how do the newer TN panels available compare to the value DGM VA(?) panel I bought last January? I want to avoid the risk of having another LG with such a poor quality of screen display.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks

Associate
to find out the panel technology type is simply by looking at the Viewing Angles in the spec....

- Viewing Angles (H/V): 170°/150°<<<<<<<<<TN
- Viewing Angles (H/V): 170°/170°<<<<<<<<<TN
- Viewing Angles (H/V): 170°/160°<<<<<<<<<TN
- Viewing Angles (H/V): 160°/160°<<<<<<<<<TN
--------------------------------------------------
- Viewing Angles (H/V): 178°/178°<<<<<<<<<IPS or S-IPS or H-IPS or MVA or PVA Panels

TN have very low viewing angles compared to the IPS and PVA/MVA range

TN only shows a limited amount of colours and makes up the rest using software trickery in shades of greys whilst the pva/mva - ips range all show proper 16.7m col.

although do read up, as all different technologies have ups and downs as in pros and cons.

if i was to give a list i say save up for...

Hazro HZ26Wi rev2.1 26" Widescreen H-IPS
or
HP LP2475w 24" Widescreen S-IPS.

i have 2 hazro 30" and before that had 2 TN Hyundai L90+ LCD Monitors (rated as the best TN at the time of Purchase) and the difference in screens quality and colours is immense. i wouldnt go back to TN any time soon.

i hear dell are bringing out the first e-ips screen which i only just recently heard about from someone in these threads which uses a cheaper panel thats based on the ips technology but has a low price barrier.

OCUK sell it on pre-order as
Dell UltraSharp 2209WA 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor (861-10100)
£195.49 inc VAT.
if they are any good which youll find out when they get going in the threads here soon it may be cheaper to get 2 of them compared to the HP.

But my choice would be to save for one of the Bigger Hazros.

of course if you cant stretch to that price and want a screen now id say although it goes against what i just stated go for the TN Acer G24 Widescreen in Blue as thats got a slight newer panel to the gold one and although a TN it uses crystalbright technology on it to give its picture more sharpness which in turn is supposed to be vastly better than a standard TN screen. (still have low viewing angles)

hope any of that helps?

HRhino"

Associate
OP
Thanks HRhino. You have helped a lot, very much appreciated. I need to visit PCW to look at screen technologies.... call it paranoia on screen quality, but will need to buy something before too long from OC :)

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom