Brits visiting Spain drops by 20.5%

Soldato
Like most average Joes here, I enjoyed the odd trip to Spain, Ibiza etc every few years (in between other places) - but over the last 8 years or so, not only have I noticed the price of things increasing over there (far more than should have) - but the Quality of service seemed to be going down considerably in most places I visited.

This was even before the recent £/euro exchange rate.

But now we have some pretty sharp drops in British tourist numbers - brought on by the recession and excahnge rates.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/4799257/Number-of-Britons-visiting-Spain-falls-by-a-fifth.html

There just seems so many 'better' places to go these day, where the waiters actually pay attention, you get good food and drink at a reasonble price & you usually don't have to worry about crime or abbrasive locals who have no understanding of politeness or customer service.

In a nutshell, I really don't think I will be heading back to Spain / Portugal any time soon again unless things really improve & they get their act together again.....

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't think it's a case of places getting better, it's other factors like cheap flights more readily available to other places that people have been grabbing up.

Why spend so much money to lie on a beach for 7 days, when you can do exactly the same in another country? ;) :)

Associate
Like most average Joes here, I enjoyed the odd trip to Spain, Ibiza etc every few years (in between other places) - but over the last 8 years or so, not only have I noticed the price of things increasing over there (far more than should have) - but the Quality of service seemed to be going down considerably in most places I visited.

This was even before the recent £/euro exchange rate.

But now we have some pretty sharp drops in British tourist numbers - brought on by the recession and excahnge rates.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/4799257/Number-of-Britons-visiting-Spain-falls-by-a-fifth.html

There just seems so many 'better' places to go these day, where the waiters actually pay attention, you get good food and drink at a reasonble price & you usually don't have to worry about crime or abbrasive locals who have no understanding of politeness or customer service.

In a nutshell, I really don't think I will be heading back to Spain / Portugal any time soon again unless things really improve & they get their act together again.....

Perhaps they're sick of the moronic, fat, rude idiots who don't even bother to try and speak any of the native language and have ruined the culture where they live and work?

Soldato
spain is pants now, its all microwaved crap and cliches. My next destination is florida in may for a mates wedding, yes its ironic, as florida has gotta be the processed food capital of the world :p

I wanna go to Canada, west coast usa, thiland/vietnam/china, new zealand, japan, australia all in the next 10 years.

Don't even bother looking into euro desintations anymore.

Soldato
Perhaps they're sick of the moronic, fat, rude idiots who don't even bother to try and speak any of the native language and have ruined the culture where they live and work?

So you want us to be able to speak about 10 different languages to visit a few places in Europe?

Also not all of us are "at, rude idiots".

I find the Spanish very ignorant tbh.

Associate
I love Spain, or more precisely Granada, Seville, Barcelona and Toledo. They have some fantastic architecture, food and history. Just sitting outside a café eating gambas pil pil and mejillones with a good, real coffee rather than the instant Brit café crud.

There is a great place called Thales in Barcelona which is in the Barri Gòtic. It remains full of locals and do not speak a word of English. They serve good sea urchin!

I really don't understand the 'ignorant' Spanish bit. When in Spain you generally get served by people who are far more mature and able than their Brit counterparts. They just come across as far more professional.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My main reason for not going anymore is the fact the Spanish / Portugese are now more rude / arrogant / ignorant etc these days - especially when they are providing a service in restaurants / car hire places and even Hotels. It's as though the rest of Europe has moved up a notch with regard to customer service, and they have stayed in the late 70's.

And me/wife/friends we go with are by no means typical Brit holidaymakers.... we don't drink much, have no Union jack towels and rarely stay out late. And we are always courteous when speaking and try to make an effort with the simple lingo..... but still the service/attitude seems way below most other European countries.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The exchange rate really is a kick in the teeth. I've rented a place in France from Oct 08 - March 09 and the costs of living out there rocketed....though rent is all paid in £ so it's only food costs which are minimal, but for those who are mostly EUR-slanted with GBP salaries I can see how it's painful.

On the other side, my business is doing well in Europe as we're now much cheaper for them :)

Man of Honour

It really does depend on where you go to in these countries. If you go to where all the Brits go what do you expect.

Soldato
OP
The thing is - we usually don't.

We hire villas in the countryside usually - with a hire car - drive around for most of our stay - and steer clear of the usual beach related haunts trying to sample the local towns / villages. Still, the recent service we have received is poor-mediocre at best for the prices charged.

Last edited:
Associate
toledoalcazar.jpg

Seville1.jpg

toledoviewfromchurch.jpg

Blackpool has never looked so good!

Associate
Im ok with Barcelona - love the buildings there. Dont think much of Madrid, Grafitti everywhere it seems, plus the locals seem fairly rude and racism is more obvious there. I prefer the Netherlands, the people there are always friendly and enthusiastic.

Associate
Totally depends where you go - my grandparents have lived in the mountains of the Costa del Sol for 13 years and we've visited every year. So you learn where and where not to go :p
And its my favourite place IN THE WORLD! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom