My Lounge makeover including a floating wall.

Soldato
Hi not really posted in here before but thought I'd post the start and current progress of my lounge makeover. Got the idea of Grooves floating wall thread here.

My original kit was a Panasonic TH50-PX70 with a Marantz SR5200 amp, Mission M35 floorstanders, Mission M7DS rears, Mordant Short MSC20 centre. Also have a PS3, Wii and Squeezebox in the front room. Just before Xmas we bough Ikea besta units and I'll start with some pics of the lounge as it was in January.
IMG_2629.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

With the new wall I needed to chase and run new mains, three network cables. Also I wanted to hide the four LNB feed cables two of which run to the back room, fit aerial and magic eye feeds to the bedroom. Also had to chase into the wall my QED silver anniversary XT speaker cable to run to the rear speakers, which runs in the coving once it gets to the ceiling.
IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

Network point chased and light switch moved to the other side to change the side the door opens.
IMG_2666.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Once the cables were in I could make good the walls.
IMG_2707.jpg

We decided to put in spotlights into the ceiling.
IMG_2708.jpg

Then it was time for plastering.
IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

The coving went up before the room had dried fully which took about 4-5 days.
IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Wow, you must be tall as your plasma screen was very high on your wall, its usually middle of the screen is at eye level when you are sat down.

Looks like your 50PX70 has lasted longer than mine as i have just posted a new thread on what has happened to mine :mad:

Hope it looks nice when you are finished, are you buying any new gear or just using what you have now?

Soldato
OP
Once the Plastering dried we white washed the walls with watered down emulsion and then properly painted the ceiling. Lights were then fitted so we could work later intot he evenings.
IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The TV was so high up on the wall as when we bought the house several years ago it had a false fireplace surround in there and the TV was mounted just above it with the centre speaker on it. It didnt really look odd until we bought the Ikea units and then as you can see it looked really high.

Soldato
OP
With the help of my dad we started building the actual false wall yesterday and by the end of today we had the middle board mounted on the wall. All the mains, network sockets and tv/sat sockets were mounted too.
IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wow, you must be tall as your plasma screen was very high on your wall, its usually middle of the screen is at eye level when you are sat down.

Looks like your 50PX70 has lasted longer than mine as i have just posted a new thread on what has happened to mine :mad:

Hope it looks nice when you are finished, are you buying any new gear or just using what you have now?

Well funny you mention the TV, I had news today that as we dropped it when removing it and broke the PX70(you can see it in the bottom pic of the first post) the insurance company are supplying me with a PZ80 now. The rest of my gear was sold on ebay with the idea of buying Keff 3500SEs and the Yamaha RX-V1900. Had some news in the meantime though which ment I had change the plan somewhat so now we have Q acoustics 1010is and the Yamaha DSP-Ax863Se.

Soldato
OP
More pics.
Wall completed and holes filled ready for sanding.
IMG_2803-1.jpg

and a couple of pics with the light thrown over to get an idea of what it will end up like
IMG_2804-1.jpg

IMG_2806-1.jpg

and now the wall undercoated ready for flatting and final paint.
IMG_2813.jpg

Hopefully the room will be finished by the weekend and will just be waiting for carpet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks very nice mate.

Just finished something close to Grooves floating wall setup but added a projector / Kuro combo.

Still waiting on one Besta Jagra unit that doesn't come damaged. Joke really that I have to wait 2 weeks each time for them to get another from Sweden. When the Warrington branch has 10 in stock...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looks very nice mate.

Just finished something close to Grooves floating wall setup but added a projector / Kuro combo.

Still waiting on one Besta Jagra unit that doesn't come damaged. Joke really that I have to wait 2 weeks each time for them to get another from Sweden. When the Warrington branch has 10 in stock...

Any pics of your setup? We had a nightmare getting to Croydon Ikea took over an hour to go 15 miles and most of that time was the last 3 miles. Got there then had an arguement with the wife over the units so went home empty handed:). In the end we paid the delivery charge and vowed never to go near the place again. Our units turned up with in a few days though.

Ver very nice mate !! must be fun at your house !!

Cheers. Been busy for the last month on and off doing the room up, now the end seems so near.

What TV is that mate >>??

The broken one is a Panny TH50-PX70.
IMG_2657.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom