Spec me this tattoo

Permabanned
I've liked this tattoo for about 2 years now and really want it done!

No idea about the prices, any advice?

What do you guys think about tattoo's in general? I feel like our skin is bare and its good to have something on it!

Soldato
I think you will get a lot of mixed responses on here, but I would suggest never to simply copy a design, look at it and how you might liked it changed to suit you, go and see an artist who can sketch up your idea and go from there.

KaHn

Soldato
I really like this one, its just the design i like im not sure how i could make it better

Sometimes there is nothing wrong with having a tattoo just because you like it. No different to picking flash art really.

Some people always like tattoos to have some personal meaning but all mine are just because I liked them at the time. :)

Soldato
Sometimes there is nothing wrong with having a tattoo just because you like it. No different to picking flash art really.

Some people always like tattoos to have some personal meaning but all mine are just because I liked them at the time. :)
I agree that tattoos don't have to have personal meaning, I would just think more carefully about copying someone elses straight up than if it was something I'd come up with myself

Permabanned
OP

so i could take this picture in and ask them to do it for me?

Is it as easy as that?

The person who has this tattoo doesnt really have it i dont think its just for the photoshoot i think

Tattoo artists wont look at the picture and think im not going to copy someone elses tattoo??

Soldato
so i could take this picture in and ask them to do it for me?

Is it as easy as that?

The person who has this tattoo doesnt really have it i dont think its just for the photoshoot i think

Tattoo artists wont look at the picture and think im not going to copy someone elses tattoo??
No, but if you have the talent or know someone who has it might be a better starting point to get the design sketched out beforehand, or you can take that design to the artist and say you want to work out something from it, and they'll do the sketching for you. You're not going to walk in with that picture and walk out with a tattoo though, you'll probably have to leave it with them to work out a design unless they're not very busy

Permabanned
OP
No, but if you have the talent or know someone who has it might be a better starting point to get the design sketched out beforehand, or you can take that design to the artist and say you want to work out something from it, and they'll do the sketching for you. You're not going to walk in with that picture and walk out with a tattoo though, you'll probably have to leave it with them to work out a design unless they're not very busy

But the design i want is in that picture its the same, couldnt i use that?

Man of Honour
Any decent artist will not be down with just duplicating the one in the picture. You could say you would like something along those lines.

Also with that design/placement there has been barely any consideration for how the design will bend with the arm.

Permabanned
OP
Any decent artist will not be down with just duplicating the one in the picture. You could say you would like something along those lines.

Also with that design/placement there has been barely any consideration for how the design will bend with the arm.

ahh damn, this thread has filled my head with more problems, i was just thinking i could take the picture in and get it done just like that..

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
That is Kack & will look totally different on your arm anyway, Take a pic in & ask the artist to give you something "like" that, He'll draw it on first & give you the chance to Yay or nay it, At least then it will be unique & fit your arm.

Permabanned
OP
That is Kack & will look totally different on your arm anyway, Take a pic in & ask the artist to give you something "like" that, He'll draw it on first & give you the chance to Yay or nay it, At least then it will be unique & fit your arm.

Ok, ill show him and see what he comes up with, But will his ideas be any good? he might take ages drawing something which i would not like.

If i just say to him i want it as close to that as possible would he do it?

Soldato
Ok, ill show him and see what he comes up with, But will his ideas be any good? he might take ages drawing something which i would not like.

If i just say to him i want it as close to that as possible would he do it?
If you dont like what he's drawn you work with him on it, a good artist will be able to get a good feel for what you're looking for but might not get just what you want first time so you talk to them and tweak it, it's going permanently on your body and you're paying them to put it there, it's all your decision. Unless you have a design printed out exactly ready to use then you're not going to be able to walk in and just get it done.

Soldato
Yes? What do you think tattooists are?

Take in anything you like, and he'll tell you how he thinks the whole thing will pan out. If he's a good one anyway.

Make sure you get more than one tattooists opinion. It's like buying a car, you dont always pick the first one you look at.

I took my latest one in, and it's ludicrously intricate. I plonked it on the table and said "how detailed could you do this on my arm, and how will it pan out over time" and he proceeded to explain the exact areas of the design that would change over time based on where i'd have it done, how much detail he could do (all of it, actually. which was nice) and he gave me a rough indication of ink hours and how much it would cost.

They're designers and your tattoo reflects on them as an artist, so it's in his interest to give his opinion. If you ask their opinion they will give it to you. However, you are the boss, and they will tattoo you with anything you want (with some exceptions of course). My advice would be to ask for his opinion and knowledge, because he will be infinitely more experienced than you or I.

Back
Top Bottom