• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Phenom X4 920 or Phenom X3 720 2.8GHz

Associate
Yet another rebuild!

I hate intel (nearly as much as Nvidia)

Is AMD's fourth core worth the extra £40.
All the lab tests I've seen are between Intel and AMD, not AMD verse AMD.

I'll be using the rig for gaming with a 4870 1g. DDR 2 and an ASUS motherboard of some discription.

Associate
If you can wait, the next batch of AM3 quad core 9nn series CPUs will be here in the next couple of months. I'm in the same boat...and I've decided to wait.

Associate
Either the 940 or the 720.

In the next three years the 4th core should matter a lot more than it does now. SO if you plan on sticking with it, spend the extra on 940.

Soldato
My 940 @4GHz was about the same (+/-0-1fps difference) as my [email protected] in game benchmarks, I tested at 2048x1158px full detail 4xaa 16xaf.

I just sold my X4 940 for more than the original purchase price.

Needless to say, the 720 is a brilliant chip,in addition both the X4 and X3 feel quicker in Windows than my old X2 Athlon [email protected] - I didn't expect that!

Associate
I've just gone the 720 route but in an AM3 board.
So far so good. Not overclocked yet but as its this quick there's no real rush.
But if you've already got an Asus motherboard I'd stick a quad core in.
Quads will get there an you'll not need to upgrade. Certainly as they aren't continuing AM2+ for much longer.

I hate intel (nearly as much as Nvidia)

Why and why?

Personally I don't like ATI as I often have problems with their drivers and AMD...I don't really have an opinion on, though I personally rather Intel.

Between the two cpus, The 3 core option is probably more worthwhile and cost effective. Gaming won't be any different really unless the game is designed for a higher multiple of cores.

Fop

Fop

Associate
If you can wait, the next batch of AM3 quad core 9nn series CPUs will be here in the next couple of months. I'm in the same boat...and I've decided to wait.

Is that the next couple of months - 2 months or so, or next couple of months - 6 months or so?

Just wondering as I haven't seen any release schedules for them, and 2-3 months is fine, but the longer it is the harder it is to wait. :)

Back
Top Bottom