Parkinson: 'Jade Goody was a wretched role model'

Soldato
You're not comparing like with like.

Yeah I am. Just as you're "not allowed" to criticse Jade Goody cos she got cancer and died, you are "not allowed" to criticse the McCanns for having a jolly whilst their daughter was abducted. Therefore as Parky has gone against the grain by giving his honest opinion of Goody, I would like to hear the same about the McCanns, I suspect he already has though.

Soldato
Which thread ?

He's talking about this one

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17996184

There are very few people I would wish cancer on and she wasn't one of them. But I don't understand the way some sections of the country have reacted to her death.

The only truly good thing she did in her life was unintentional but she still milked that. No matter if someone is loathsome, one "good" thing doesn't change what came before. It always amazes me how people only cry and regret what they do/say once they've been called on it.

I've never liked Parkinson but agree 100% with what he said. This story should have been little more than a report on the news that an ex BB "star" died of cancer but it is nothing more than a ****ed up circus. I'm sure Gary Glitter has done something good in his life as well (awaits the "how can you compare Jade Goody to a paedophile?" reply).

I'll start off this part by saying I am republican (anti royalty). A year after Diana's death a news crew were at somewhere in London where people were again laying flowers for her. They were interviewing people about how they felt a year on. One woman said, and I paraphrase, in tears (her in tears not me) "I cry every day about her". Sickening. Is that what we can expect in a years time for Goody or will people, given time, remember her for what she really was?

If I have any sympathy for anyone in all this it's her 2 kids. The remark by someone earlier that they should be happy as they are now rich was crass. No matter what their mother was like it was not of their doing. If it had been said about that Tweed bloke then I'd have agreed.

Anyway, back to the 56k modem thread.

Caporegime
Yeah I am. Just as you're "not allowed" to criticse Jade Goody cos she got cancer and died, you are "not allowed" to criticse the McCanns for having a jolly whilst their daughter was abducted. Therefore as Parky has gone against the grain by giving his honest opinion of Goody, I would like to hear the same about the McCanns, I suspect he already has though.

Er, what? I don't recall anyone saying that you're "not allowed" to criticise the McCanns. They copped a huge bashing from the public and the press (and I should know; I was one of the people bashing them!) If Parkinson ever did criticise the McCanns, he'd be voicing a majority opinion - not "going against the grain".

Soldato
There just seems to be two extremes and the truth lies somewhere in between.

I can understand people not really liking Jade Goody. She didnt seem a hugely great person but meh... so what? Theres lots of people i dont really care for on tv. Doesnt really matter.

She made money through various "celebrity" means that are really beyond me before she got cancer. I wouldnt buy her book or her perfume or watch her tv show cos i dont really care about her BUT the fact is people obviously did or she wouldnt have been given the vehicle to promote these products. I dont get my own perfume or tv show and im smarter than Jade Goody! Its not fair! But the fact is enough people were interested in her to make doing these things viable. Is that her fault or would she just have been even more stupid not to take advantage of it?

When she got cancer i felt sorry for her and her family and thats about it. I have a friend of a friend who was diagnosed with terminal cancer at round about the same time and let me tell you ALL he cared about was how his wife and family would be after he died. If he lived to the end of last March, the pension his wife got would increase dramatically and that became his only goal (which he successfully reached). To my mind Jade Goody just did the same by capitalising on the fact that the general public (for reasons beyond me) did seem to be interested in her. Again is that her fault or would she just have been even more stupid not to take advantage of it?

We should be looking at why such a nonentity causes so much interest with the Jeremy Kyle loving classes cos rightly or wrongly that is the way it is.

Sorry for the long post!!!

Soldato
just wish they would stop going on about her. do we really want to have 24 hour news coverage of something that, while some of the public may find interesting, is not really in the public interest.

Associate
What about old grey haired men pushing Sun Life/Axa over 50's life assurance plans on Sky T.V.? A type of plan that his financial advisor would probably tell him is the worst value plan on the market even with the free Parker pen for enquiring. If the sight of a well to do old man grubbing around for a few extra bob is not an example of greed and moral decay I don't know what is.

Soldato
What about old grey haired men pushing Sun Life/Axa over 50's life assurance plans on Sky T.V.? A type of plan that his financial advisor would probably tell him is the worst value plan on the market even with the free Parker pen for enquiring. If the sight of a well to do old man grubbing around for a few extra bob is not an example of greed and moral decay I don't know what is.

You don't know what is then I guess... Take a reality pill and join the rest of us at your leisure...

Soldato
I'm probably a gnarled soul for saying this, but I suspect Mr. Jack Tweed Esq. is hamming it up to a fair extent (at least from what I've seen portrayed in the media).

Last edited:
Associate
Thought it was shocking seeing people throwing flowers at her hurst. She wasn't worth that at all. Racist, bigot, thick, chav, married to someone with a criminal record and a tag, left to look after her kids. Loads of cash raised for the kids by mindless drones who believe all the **** in the the press. Shame someone died from cancer, but so do others without any acclaim. Good on Sir Parky. Maybe someone should give a toss about the guy who died innocently at the riots. Not a celeb, just a guy! Thats another thread I suppose.

Soldato
Racist, bigot, thick, chav, married to someone with a criminal record and a tag, left to look after her kids.

Jeff Brazier has full custody of the kids iirc.

The way I see it is that she was harmless, a lot of people had a soft spot for her and this is how they're reacting to her death.

There will always be other people dying that people will say deserve more attention, but the fact of the matter is that only the people who care about them will mourn. It might be 1 person or it might be a thousand, it makes no difference really.

I've said before in this thread that Parky is absolutely right in what he's saying, but I'm not sure it really needs saying. Actually I suppose people would need reminding about the woman they're mourning, about who/what she was prior to the limelight. Thing is I'd say her history is only really relevant at this point is people were celebrating her for her upbringing, which I don't think they are. I'd also argue that the timing is insensitive even if the article is constructively written.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom