******* French

Soldato
Should be interesting. My ferry back is booked For Saturday morning. Hope its all sorted by then. It seems every visit I make to France there's some sort of French protest on the news. :rolleyes: This is the first time however it might have a direct effect upon myself. :eek:

Permabanned
Should be interesting. My ferry back is booked For Saturday morning. Hope its all sorted by then. It seems every visit I make to France there's some sort of French protest on the news. :rolleyes: This is the first time however it might have a direct effect upon myself. :eek:
Good luck. Twice I've tried to go over there and twice my ferries have been cancelled due to French industrial action. I got as far as Dover once too...

Associate
Shame they didn't stand up to the Germans in 1939.

They didnt because they still thought because they had beat the Huns in 1916 on horse back that would do the trick again. Total ignorance when faced with tanks :D
The Maginot Line was a joke to, imagine leaving a third of the country without any defenses and expecting Belgium to stop em? The other third a forest, give me a break!
No wonder the Germans took Paris so easily, all onions and tears and nowt else.

Sure someone will prove me wrong but who cares, the French don't.

Soldato
They didnt because they still thought because they had beat the Huns in 1916 on horse back that would do the trick again. Total ignorance when faced with tanks :D
The Maginot Line was a joke to, imagine leaving a third of the country without any defenses and expecting Belgium to stop em? The other third a forest, give me a break!
No wonder the Germans took Paris so easily, all onions and tears and nowt else.

Sure someone will prove me wrong but who cares, the French don't.
But it wasn't the Germans' use of tanks that broke the Maginot Line - it was their use of airborne assaults and also gliders (!) that circumvented the Laginot Line. Also, as I understand it (my history may be a bit rusty as I studied this a long, long time ago) it was the ease and speed with which the Belgian fortresses were overrun which meant the French didn't have enough time to mobilise their forces.

Associate
At least they stand up for their rights, unlike us in this country where we bend over for the government every time they click their fingers.

This just about sums it up...

Should be interesting. My ferry back is booked For Saturday morning. Hope its all sorted by then. It seems every visit I make to France there's some sort of French protest on the news. This is the first time however it might have a direct effect upon myself.

Oh dear, you'll just have to spend another few days relaxing with wine munching on snails ;)

On another note I only just noticed while booking our trip to France in June that Speed Ferries have gone bust :mad:

Associate
But it wasn't the Germans' use of tanks that broke the Maginot Line - it was their use of airborne assaults and also gliders (!) that circumvented the Laginot Line. Also, as I understand it (my history may be a bit rusty as I studied this a long, long time ago) it was the ease and speed with which the Belgian fortresses were overrun which meant the French didn't have enough time to mobilise their forces.

The Belgian King declared neutrality therefore allowing the Germans to just walk straight into France, he later went into exile. The Maginot Line stopped at Belguim IRMC because they must have thought they were allies.

Have you watched World at War? It's a must for any school child or anyone interested in it.

Soldato
french strke when things go wrong. brits moan & do nothing

I agree but I would say the French demonstrate and will get support from the country when they arent happy with something and more often than not, will get some sort of resolution.

The British will go out and demonstrate when they arent happy but will get slagged off by idiots that cant be bothered or dont see the point in it and then moan that nothing ever changes in this country and what ever party you vote in will always be the same. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Have you watched World at War? It's a must for any school child or anyone interested in it.
Long time ago.... that's the one with the flames and the scary music during the title sequence and was narrated by Laurence Olivier, right? Getting on for 20 years since I saw it, mind you.

I've played Call of Duty: World at War though :p

edit: Oh no, I've found the titles on You Tube

That gave me nightmares as a kid :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom