Gordon Ramsay and his sneaky vans!

Soldato
I highly doubt it. Think it's a load of old rubbish.

I hope it isn't true anyway, as he is one of the only Chefs I do like.

Associate
OP
I was going to add a bit about how accurate the tabloids actually are but the no smoke without fire motto sprung to mind, I wonder just how unbiased the reports are. I do get an inkling that there is a little bit of sensationalism to the whole story but at the same time they surely aren't just making this stuff up.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong i'd class him as one of my favourite chefs too, I just feel horribly conflicted in light of this, to put it in perspective this comes not long after him having an affair being exposed-ish. Makes you wonder what the difference between his tv morals and his real ones are.

Soldato
I only clicked the second link.

Some of it will be produced but I reckon most of it will be freshly made, that's his best feature he wouldn't lose out on that.

Soldato
I don't think he's so money driven that he would spend the time and effort, and get so wound up with people that are failing and destroying their business. I think he cares for real cooking and success of restaurants too much for this.

Soldato
Sounds likely.

There are dishes that can't be prepared in the time someone is prepared to wait for them so they have to be made in advance. Why not prepare them off site?

If the quality of the ingredients is good and the it's done appropriately this isn't an issue.

Associate
To be honest nothing they have said leads me to believe that it is a con. What is the difference between doing the prep work in a kitchen in the morning and then popping it in a fridge ( just as every other restaurant does) than to popping it in a refrigerated van and driving it to the end use place? It isn't as if they have said the ingredients are frozen and stored for weeks until needed. They have said they are prepared in a central kitchen and then shipped to the retail point (that has a small kitchen) for sale. If the ingredients are prepared daily and served daily then I see no problem. If a small Gastropub has no room for extensive prep work then this isn't as if Gordon Ramsey is serving Findus microwave cod in parsley sauce.

Storm in a Tea Cup if you ask me.

Soldato
theres just no way he does that
According to the paper I read (haven't looked at the above articles), a spokeswoman for GR Holdings had said that it was true, and they made no secret of it. Although nothing sold as 'fresh' was made off site - just things that were usually made in advance as would usually be made in the mornings.

This place only supplies Foxtrot Oscar and the two Gastropubs - the 'cheap' Ramsay-owned places.

Soldato
According to the paper I read (haven't looked at the above articles), a spokeswoman for GR Holdings had said that it was true, and they made no secret of it. Although nothing sold as 'fresh' was made off site - just things that were usually made in advance as would usually be made in the mornings.

This place only supplies Foxtrot Oscar and the two Gastropubs - the 'cheap' Ramsay-owned places.

Yep - it's hardly like he's doing it at RHR.

This kind of thing happens all the time in your average "gastropub" - even the decent ones you find. At least these are prepared by a company under his control rather than by an outside company like it would be for most other pubs.

It is, however, somewhat hypocritical that he criticises other places of doing this in kitchen nightmares. Remember the one over christmas when he went to that small family run restaurant who were doing something similar for some of their meals? The only difference was they were prepared by an outside company.

Soldato
Daily Mail said:
Head chef Darran Ridley told an undercover reporter from The Sun how it provides ‘the majority of the food’ for Ramsay’s bistro Foxtrot Oscar in Chelsea.

Telepgraph said:
Popular dishes such as fishcakes, sausage rolls and coq au vin are made en masse at a production site in Clapham, south London, The Sun has claimed.

Says it all tbh :rolleyes:

A load of tosh.

Back
Top Bottom