I am Godzilla. You are Japan.

Associate
fullofwin.jpg

Associate
OP
Cheers for all the comments fellers, glad some of you like it. I tried to answer all the questions, if I missed any, apologies.

Fantastic! Anything special about the running in?

First 300 miles, keep it below 3.5k and vary the engine speed. 300-600 miles, give it some beans but take it easy in first through 3rd. Keep the suspension setting to COMF to allow more stroke. 600-1200 miles, keep the engine speed up with plenty of manual shifting between 1st and fourth, suspension settings in COMF. The car then goes in to a HPC for wheel alignment, transmission/clutch settings and a few other bits and bobs.

Thought they put Potenzas on the GT-R?

It's mental how those wheels are 20", the car must feel huge! I'm looking forward to a human point of view when you've got past the twitchy foot period.

The car was originally going to come with the harder Bridgestones but we actually got the stickier Dunlops in the UK. I'm still enjoying the honeymoon period, so you won't get any objective views from me right now, once it starts to wear off I'll write something up.

...and whats with the PS2 pad ?

Before a press car even arrived in the UK, a lot of people dismissed it on forums as a Playstation on wheels...an uninvolving drive and characterless, the drivers input counting for little against the software etc.

Do you have any more shots of the interior Fett? I'm interested in seeing how the red works in there.

Not my pic obviously but hi-res:

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/niss-r35-blackedition-int.jpg

Only thing that would put me off them is knowing the fact another persons GTR might have more power as they are all different BHP!

The tolerances are so small, I doubt there is very, very little variation. Not a particular concern for myself anyway.

I can still think of many, many, many, many cars I'd have before the Nissan (hell, I even prefer my Seicento in a lot of ways.....and Seicentos truly are ******* rubbish!).

We both agree then that there are other more desirable cars than a GT-R. Unfortunately, for myself, finances to some degree dictate what is attainable and practical. Personally, a GT-R is a more attractive motoring prospect in every way to a Seicento, bar parking. Still, variety is the spice of life ;)

Please say your coming to the RR on 2nd May

Sorry, Bank Holiday weekends are sacred. Maybe next time.

That can't be for real can it?

No :D

is that pic due to your passenger footwell falling out?

No, that has it's own special warning ;)

Any upgrades planned? :D

One day when I've made it into the big salary world...Hennessey will be getting a call :p

There might be something in the pipeline, don't want to jinx it though as it rests on my HPC's approval. Frankly, it's more than enough right now.

I wouldn't touch anything Hennessey has been near, horror stories all over the place about that guy. That car has no upgrades to the clutch or transmission and some of that kit used is just HKS gear which is already offered by one HPC as a 570bhp upgrade for less money.

Well done old boy, glad to see you took delivery. Need to arrange to get together now at VMax and see what she'll do mister! ;)

I'll have to check the thread and see whats what. Might see you there ;)

Got a link?

It's a LP560-4...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo3PaTPFiiI

whats the outcome of the launchcontrol/warrenty issues in the end?

Signing a disclosure form was the outcome. You launch it with VDC off and if Nissan prove the box turned to swarf because of the launch, you've got a big bill coming your way. Not much need for that as the UK cars now use R-R-R mode for a faster 0-60. Track pre and post inspections, don't stick tat on the car etc.

Evo triangle eh? I guess it may have been you who my brother saw on the Bala-Trawsfynydd road/raceway? He told me a Grey GTR flew past him and obliterated the the long sweeping corner at the end of the lake :p

Possibly. Maybe. Not sure...

Daft question. Any chance of having the above pic in full size, its background quality that is.

http://www.zen50273.zen.co.uk/badge_rear.jpg

Let me know when you have it so I can take it down, ta.

Permabanned
I wouldn't touch anything Hennessey has been near, horror stories all over the place about that guy.

Wisdom imo.

Signing a disclosure form was the outcome. You launch it with VDC off and if Nissan prove the box turned to swarf because of the launch, you've got a big bill coming your way. Not much need for that as the UK cars now use R-R-R mode for a faster 0-60. Track pre and post inspections, don't stick tat on the car etc.

Can you go into this a bit more? What is swarf :confused: :p

Edit: nvm - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarf But what is R-R-R mode?

Associate
OP
Wisdom imo.

Can you go into this a bit more? What is swarf :confused: :p

Edit: nvm - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarf But what is R-R-R mode?

Race-Race-Race.

There are three switches in the car (pic a few pages back) for adjustments to be made to the transmission, the suspension and the ESP. Left alone they are in their default setting, or you can choose comfort setting on the suspension or leave it alone for normal variable damping. In Race, damping is fixed and it's probably one of the hardest rides I've encountered.

Esp has Off, Normal and Race settings and the transmission Snow, Race and normal. If you want the parameters of each setting, I can type them out.

The old launch control required the ESP/VDC to be off, with the other two in Race setting. A few people in Russia and the US took this to be a default setting and continually launched their cars and stripped 1st...hence all the fuss. To settle the issue, Nissan UK have made it clear they won't cover warranty claims if it's found that you have borked your box by using this setting. Instead, they have the R-R-R mode for the second revision which is apparently faster (Nissan have it at 3.3 I think) without the issues.

In a nutshell.

Permabanned
Instead, they have the R-R-R mode for the second revision which is apparently faster (Nissan have it at 3.3 I think) without the issues.

In a nutshell.

Very informative, thank you.

Does this mean you can launch in R-R-R mode with 3.3 second to 60 useing the computer controlled launch an infinite amount of times and still claim on warranty?

Associate
OP
Very informative, thank you.

Does this mean you can launch in R-R-R mode with 3.3 second to 60 useing the computer controlled launch an infinite amount of times and still claim on warranty?

My agreement explicitly states that driving with ESP off in other other circumstances than emergency voids the warranty. Nothing mentioned about RRR mode, so it's a grey-area 'yes'. Within common sense boundaries, I cannot see any issues, nor does my HPC.

Seriously though, without touching any buttons, you'll still be under 4 seconds so I'm not sure when you would ever need it bar the strip or for the novelty value. I'm sure I'll try it out but I don't think it'll be an everyday occurrence.

Permabanned
Seriously though, without touching any buttons, you'll still be under 4 seconds so I'm not sure when you would ever need it bar the strip or for the novelty value. I'm sure I'll try it out but I don't think it'll be an everyday occurrence.

Ah, I wasn't aware of this, I assumed a decent launch unaided would be more around the 4.5 second area, fair play! Big congratulations, eager to hear your experiences and impressions with it. Get much attention from the public?

Associate
OP
Ah, I wasn't aware of this, I assumed a decent launch unaided would be more around the 4.5 second area, fair play! Big congratulations, eager to hear your experiences and impressions with it. Get much attention from the public?

The updated software is there to protect the transaxle, an expensive and complicated bit of kit. Nissan naively believed that littering the manual with VDC OFF warnings would protect it to some degree but also shot themselves in the foot by actually having the LC initialise with it switched off.

The new times from the US with the update have made it faster but with less shock to the transmission. Non LC is 3.5-3.6 and the 1/4 has dropped by a few tenths as well, so it's win-win, the car does it in manual or auto and in full-party mode it's obviously quicker than the old LC, like I said, I'm pretty sure Nissan have it now as 3.3.

As far as attention, I've never been photographed in a car before by strangers, it's a bit odd. Easter weekend traffic on the A55 was like sitting in a fishbowl.

Last edited:
Caporegime
i know spie used to say he got this a lot when he drove the 550 in this country.

And the sheer ammount of people crowding round the yellow ferrari f430 scuderia i saw in londons west end was insane. People were pretending to get into it and have their photos taken and all sorts.

Associate
so i was a fan when i first saw this car launched last year, however one overtook me on the motorway today in Southampton, and the little kid in me went all giddy with excitment. The thing is a beast, looks beautiful, sounds amazing, you are one lucky bugger. Tried to get a snap on my phone, but it was too quick and so i have a blurry shot of a car you can barely make out.

I WANT ONE!

Back
Top Bottom