Saved By Virgin

Associate
Yesterday my dad was around a friends collecting some tools, and he was loading them into the back of his van, I had gone inside to grab his trail that he'd forgotten I walked outside and all I heard was screaming, someone had drove straight into the back of my dad’s van while it was parked and while he was in between, all he was shouting was 'my leg, I’ve lost my leg'. He then shouted at me to release the handbrake of the van and push the van forwards, by this time passers by had run down the road to help and neighbours rushing out there houses to help.

The police came, 2 ambulances and 2 fire trucks, about 2 and half minutes after a neighbour had rung them, a woman was holding my dad from sliding down the bonnet of the car that hit him so he wouldn’t damage his back or leg any further (she held him for 20 minutes!), the firemen pulled the car away that hit him and my dad was put on a bed into an ambulance, he had split an artery in his leg, so an helicopter ambulance was landed in a field down the road and took him to Royal London Hospital, I never slept all night and they operated on him all through the night, and they told me at 8.00 this morning that they had managed to save his leg and he is making a recovery but will need to learn to walk again due to the bolts and pins they had put into his leg bones.

The surgeon told me that if it wasn’t for the air ambulance my father would have died of loss of blood, and the ambulances are sponsored and paid for by Virgin Media, which I am now extremely grateful for, also including the community, and the emergency services that acted in such quick response to the incident.

A neighbour told me that when they were talking to the driver of the car that hit my dad, that the man said 'look, look, accidents happen'! I am very pleased that I wasn’t there to hear him say that because he would have been going to a hospital too, I was so angry that someone would say that!

Giving a statement to the police after the incident, they had told me that they are treating it as an 'attempted murder' because all the witnesses had said the man made no effort to brake!! I highly doubt he will get charged for that but I really do hope he gets punished for what he done to me and my family.

It wasn’t even a busy road, it was a dead end road, so no one even knows how the man could have done it because it not even a big road there about 5 houses down each side with a little parking area at the end!

I no I’ve written a lot but I am so grateful that there are good people out there willing to help others in need and so grateful for virgin on supporting the air ambulance service, otherwise my father wouldn’t be alive today.
(excuse the spelling in some areas)

Soldato
Wow. Glad you've still got your Dad fella, the emergency services really do a great job. It's nice to see that community still exists in crisis too.

Wish him a speedy recovery, and the driver receives adequate punishment.

Ant :cool:

Soldato
I agree, very scary situation to have been in. Glad to hear that he's going to be alright.

If the driver really didn't attempt to break then he deserves to be charged with attempted murder.

Associate
OP
yeah sorry the title doesnt show as much drama as the story, but that didnt really matter to me. :)

thanks guys, i'm still in shock now it plays through my head constently, just so glad :)

Soldato
As others have said, I hope he is doing well now, and glad that the emergency services were able to respond.

You should draft an email to Branson, or the Virgin headquarters so that they know their money gets put to use :)

Soldato
wow, glad he's going to be ok and good luck with recovery! i know i'd be devastated if anything ever happened to my dad

I live in a cul de sac type area like you describe and would find it very odd if anyone went into the back of someone, parked or not, in this area, how fast was he going?

Soldato
:eek:

Glad to hear he should be ok though. :)

A family friend has a child with diabetes and often needs the air ambulance for various reasons, so they've set up a standing order to donate money every month to the service, which living out in the middle of nowhere in Devon it is really needed. :cool:

Associate
OP
As others have said, I hope he is doing well now, and glad that the emergency services were able to respond.

You should draft an email to Branson, or the Virgin headquarters so that they know their money gets put to use :)

yes thats what i was thinking but have no idea where to begin!

Associate
OP
wow, glad he's going to be ok and good luck with recovery! i know i'd be devastated if anything ever happened to my dad

I live in a cul de sac type area like you describe and would find it very odd if anyone went into the back of someone, parked or not, in this area, how fast was he going?

i didnt see the vehicle hit him i came out like 2 seconds after hearing him shouting and screaming, i cant see how from the end on the road to where my dad was parked you could even reach 5-10 mph and thats pushing it maybe, but then i dont know the cars acceleration or anything.

Back
Top Bottom