Are Nightbreakers still the bulbs to go for?

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm just about to purchase some new sidelight bulbs to replace the very yellow-ish ones i've got in the Mondeo at the moment.

I've been looking at some comparisons etc, and i'm not really sure whether Nightbreakers are still "the" bulbs to be having in their sector of the market?

I know theres been quite a few members on here that have had experience with blown bulbs etc, i have experienced this with a set on my partners car, i know they replace them FOC but thats not really the point..is it?

Has anybody got any other sets that they have been impressed with or reccomend? I've got Halogen-type headlights, so HID's are out of the question :)

Phil

Lum

Lum

Soldato
I stuck a set of the Halfords Extreme Brilliance in my 940, made a hell of a difference. I don't know how they compare to the Nightbreakers or the Philips ones but I'm happy with them. Cost me 18 quid for the pair.

I stuck them in the Cefiro too, and have decided not to bother with a HID conversion as they're good enough for my needs as they are.

Associate
Nightbreakers are great if you dont do much night driving ! The light output is very good but if used regularly they dont last long.
A set of H4s lasted about 3 months in my focus over the winter ( approx 1 hours driving a day 5 days a week ) and they both blew within a few minutes of each other on the way home.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
i'm happy with my nightbreakers. one blew after 7 months, but a got a replacement for free

well, the left just blew. WTF?
looks like i'll be paying a visit to the shop again..

it's not my car is it? the right blew 2 weeks ago, and now it's the left..

Lum

Lum

Soldato
well, the left just blew. WTF?
looks like i'll be paying a visit to the shop again..

it's not my car is it? the right blew 2 weeks ago, and now it's the left..

Well assuming that each bulb has roughly the same lifespan, apart from minor manufacturing differences, and that both bulbs have been used for an equal length of time (which is pretty much definite, unless you bought them one at a time) is it really surprising that both bulbs reached the end of their lifespan in roughly the same amount of time?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
no, it makes sense actually as i replaced both at the same time :p
i was just hoping that one was faulty :(

it appears day running lights + nightbreakers = fail
strange given that it was the only bulb they had in the garage..

so actually the fact they blew within 9 days of eachother shows that they're ****, or it was a dodgy batch.
all the languages on the back of the box were east european, so maybe it's some shoddy stock :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom