something bust ?

Associate
can someone please help me built a pc 5-6 months ago and all went well
however as from yesterday when i switch pc on 9 times out of 10 it wont boot up when this happens all the fans start up cpu etc but the gfx card fan dont and screen stays blank
if the pc does load up it works perfectly
also when the pc wont boot up getting no lights from mouse or keyboard ive checked inside all looks well
any help advice would be gratefully appreciated

RJC

RJC

Don
It might be trial and error looking for the culprit.
Down load mem test and check the ram for any errors, run prime or Intel burn test to check for stability.
Is there a possibility to swop parts around with a different machine.

Associate
OP
trouble is cant get pc to boot up at all at the minute using laptop had the pc on 5 hours today playing online games etc all seemed well purchased all parts in november last year so if something is bust dont know which part to send back and where to send it to i.e oc or manufacturer

Soldato
try removing 1 stick of memory then trying the remaining 1 in each slot, if thats a no go swap the stick.

know asus and ocz memory used to have issues any chance u could try some different memory, was the memroy voltage set withing the range for the memory ?

could try resetting cmos, see if it gives u a chance to boot into bios.

disconnect anything from the psu that isnt needed, dvd drive, 2nd hard drive if you have one etc.

As RJC mentioned need to be able to test or swap parts to eliminate them.

Associate
The p5q pro seems to have an intermittent issue cold booting with older bios versions although it would be a bit strange that it has suddenly started now. Have you updated the bios at all (or know which version you're using atm)?

Otherwise it's down to the usual strip down to the bare minimum, reseat everything, check and check again then add components one by one to try and isolate the culprit. Don't forget the PSU if you have a spare/can borrow one.

Associate
OP
managed to boot pc up this morning on 2nd attempt running mem test now 38% done with no errors will run prime after this has finished .dont have another pc to swap parts around with :(
cpuz says core coltage for cpu is 1.208v
bios version 2002 date 02/23/2009
spd jedec 1,2,3 1.8v epp 2.1 v
thanks for all input peeps im still puzzled tho

sja

sja

Associate
Had this problem on a client's PC recently, turned out that there had been a power surge. PSU was un-affected, the M/B ultimately turned out to be the culprit. The problem started with a 50/50 chance of getting it to boot, but it got worse and worse to the point where it would hardly turn on at all (though all the fans would kick in, just no boot).

Associate
OP
would this still happen if pc was plugged into a surge protection box its a few years old showing green light for protected orange light for earthed ? make is belkin also if this is the problem i take it warrenty wouldnt cover it ?
left all vaults on auto as i really dont know much about out like that

Associate
I think it is just Asus boards in general.

I have the exact same problem with my Maximus Formula SE, sometimes it just wont boot (hangs on the post screen). The little lcd poster that comes with the board either stops on 'cpu init' or 'detect dram' message.

When I was originally trouble shooting the problem I though my GPU was at fault cause when i swapped my 4870 out for my rents 2600xt it wont boot every time without problem. So whether its a problem with it getting enough power to the system when booting from cold i dont know?

Saying that I havent actually seen the problem since I swapped out my crucial ballistix ram for some Kingston.

sja

sja

Associate
Well obviously it might not be the same problem, but if it is, my client had a surge protector on his PC too - not sure why it didn't prevent the damage though.

Like I say though, it might be something else entirely, I just thought I'd mention is as I recognised the symptoms.

M/B isn't an easy thing to swap out/check either - most people don't have spare ones lying around.

But no, you'd not be covered under warranty for power damage - though your house contents insurance should if you have any.

Associate
OP
ram test all most done 93% with no errors
i dont even get that far redeye nothing appears on screen just the fans turning except gpu fan.
i think sja if you seen same thing ill go with that ,now what do i do should i send it back (oc or manufacturer as it could have been caused by something else) or buy a new one
me places forehead 6inches from wall and bangs repeatedly
work at sea and have been away for half the time ive owned it

sja

sja

Associate
You could certainly contact OC and see what they say - they might be willing to test it for you and report back what the issue is. I've not had much dealings with ocUK (yet), but they seem a friendly and helpful bunch.

Associate
i dont even get that far redeye nothing appears on screen just the fans turning except gpu fan.

I dont know why I said it hangs on post screen because thats a complete lie! :p
It does exactly what you said and doesnt output anything to monitor (doesnt come on) and the fans just spin up and then it will just sit there doing nothing.

Sometimes the fans with spin up, then a couple of seconds later it will reboot - it then has a 50% change of either starting up proper or just sitting with a blank screen and the fans spinning.

I think the one key difference here is that my GPU fan does spin when this happens, where as you have mentioned yours doesn't. I think this definitely points to a power issue.

Associate
OP
I think the one key difference here is that my GPU fan does spin when this happens, where as you have mentioned yours doesn't. I think this definitely points to a power issue.
:( walks back to wall ,well memory test was fine dunno what to do now

Associate
:( walks back to wall ,well memory test was fine dunno what to do now

Head up, Man Up :p

The following seemed to help the PC when I was experiencing this problem.

1. Switch the psu off, and then unplug the mains power. Leave for 5 mins. Switch the psu power back on and leave for 10 mins. Now try and power the PC on.

OR

2. Switch psu off. Open your case. Take RAM out. Give the RAM and slots a quick blow. Put Ram back in. switch everything back on and try to power it up.

Failing that, check that your GPU is on its own rail. Could just be a case of it not getting enough power......

Good Luck :)

Associate
OP
well when i 1st tried this morning had no joy so i switched of at the back of pc and left it took the wife to work come home switched power switch back on pressed start and it started up but suppose it could be pure chance it started it up ,but will try redeye what you say when i power down pc.
once again thanks all for input

Associate
I dont know why I said it hangs on post screen because thats a complete lie! :p
It does exactly what you said and doesnt output anything to monitor (doesnt come on) and the fans just spin up and then it will just sit there doing nothing.

Sometimes the fans with spin up, then a couple of seconds later it will reboot - it then has a 50% change of either starting up proper or just sitting with a blank screen and the fans spinning.

I have this exact problem, sometimes it would turn on, but now it never turns on, fans blow but nothing on monitor.

I have no idea if its the PSU or Motherboard, what part do you think causes this problem?

Back
Top Bottom