Corruption

Caporegime
people who commit benefit fraud have to pay it back, so will be seeing this bunch forced to pay it all back?

or a convenient law come into power to excuse them...

Permabanned
Shocking, who wrote the laws on expenses, they are just telling people to do whatever they can in their power to claim anything, form dole cheats to self employed joiners, lead by example got lost a long time ago.

How can someone earning £140k+ get expenses for living costs, either take the expenses away or lower the salary.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There is no earthly reason why an MP needs more than one home just to perform his duties in Parliament. It's not as if London is a thousand miles from anywhere; this entire country is about the size of a teaspoon, for crying out loud.

Soldato
I don't think there is no argument for not having second homes. Imagine if you were MP for leeds, that would be a mighty trip after a 11pm session in the commons.

I think they should make a big "hotel" where MPs can take residence whilst in office, and when they are done, they move out, no profiteering on property on the public purse.

Permabanned
I don't think there is no argument for not having second homes. Imagine if you were MP for leeds, that would be a mighty trip after a 11pm session in the commons.

I think they should make a big "hotel" where MPs can take residence whilst in office, and when they are done, they move out, no profiteering on property on the public purse.

He or she will either be in Leeds or London, they should have their own home in constituency paid by their wage and place of residence in London paid for by a government fund. This has hurt the MPs and for a good reason, its come out when people are working for a living and losing their jobs and their homes while MPs are guaranteed a two homes and wage and expenses

Associate
just another case of politicians taking money from the pot and hoping we wont find out.
i can agree with travel expenses and maybe the odd small thing here and there. but taking money for personal stuff like your house is a disgrace just about all other jobs in this world dont com with perks like these. i dont see why they are not just given a flat or something which is near Parliament and when they are no longer in government the flat is given to someone else. think of it as the same system universities use for halls of residence. nothing fancy, but gets the job done.

Soldato
There is only one solution to this problem.

Give MPs, wait for it, a salary!

No expenses whatsoever, contractor style. This way they will a lot more frugal with our money, and there will be no more corruption.

The wage will be enough for a normal/large house in your constituency, plus a flat in London. Even the MPs based in and near London anyway won't be getting rich, because living near/in London is expensive.

Soldato
Thats unreasonable. What if you represented Carlisle?

Might force them to sort the rail network out ... it is 5 hours by car from there to London, assuming cars travel at an average of 60mph, a train that goes 200MPH would only take 1.5 hours. Latest generations of bullet and maglev can do 300MPH so it would only take 1 hour.
Chances are Googles 5 hour estimate is in fact at 55 or 50 mph so the times above would be less.

By comparison current nationalrail estimate is about 3-4 hours by train - go figure.

Biggles, MPs have a salary - ministers are earning about 100k a year as it is, plus the expenses. I could probably do the job of 95-99% of the cabinet, and I'd only want 80K and minimal if any expenses :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Why do they need so many expenses? Normal working people earn a lot less and don't have a wealth of expenses to claim.

The fact they are now crying fowl and want the police to investigate this "leak" makes it all the worse. How many times have they leaked stuff to the press when it suited them eh?

I also find it funny that the conservatives haven't weighed in yet as they are obviously running scared for when their expenses are revealed.

Bunch of ****ing crooks tbh.

Man of Honour
Why do they need so many expenses? Normal working people earn a lot less and don't have a wealth of expenses to claim.

The fact they are now crying fowl and want the police to investigate this "leak" makes it all the worse. How many times have they leaked stuff to the press when it suited them eh?

I also find it funny that the conservatives haven't weighed in yet as they are obviously running scared for when their expenses are revealed.

Bunch of ****ing crooks tbh.

David Cameron has...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8039977.stm

Conservative leader David Cameron said: "I completely understand how angry the public are about this and we desperately need change.

"I have argued for a long time that we've got to cut the cost of the expenses regime ... we've got to radically reduce the number of things that MPs can claim for and we've got to sort out the system."

David Cameron says people are 'rightly angry' about MPs expenses

He said every MP had to explain their claims themselves. "That's what I will do when mine are published and I look forward to that happening," he added.

It will certainly be interesting to see if the other parties are as bad as Labour.

Man of Honour
Second home allowances should be removed. They should be replaced with a series of MP 'bedsits' where they can stay when on business in London. These bedsits could be n one of several locations meaning that security would be easier and costs would be massively reduced.

Back
Top Bottom