O2 upgrade question - virtually no free handsets?

Sim

Sim

Associate
Just had a quick look and you can get a W595 on Vodafone with unlimited texts and 200 minutes for £20 on a 18 month contract.

If you sign up online through Quidco you get £90 cashback making it £15 per month.

Mention this to the retentions team and they may do you a deal!

Soldato
OP
Well, I called O2 and straight away was offered the W705, 200mins, 400 texts and unlimited O2 to O2 calls for a discounted price of £14.69 a month.

Ok it's an 18month contract but I'm pretty happy with that.

Associate
Called O2 this afternoon and mentioned the HTC HD for free and £25 a month I had been offered on orange through some obscure online shop and was instantly offered a samsung pixon with 600 mins 1000 texts and unlimited internet for £19.95 a month on an 18 month deal. Never used the phone before but I can send it back if I don't like it so should be fine. This was offered by retentions by the way upgrade department just took the Michael with their offers.

Soldato
Yes it is very possible to get good deals,

With O2 aswell and managed to get the Nokia 5800 (when it first came out) for free, 600 mins, 1000 texts and unlimited web for just under £25 a month.

Was very happy to say the least!

Associate
Anyone had any luck getting a deal on an iPhone?
I really don't want to pay £35 a month for one!

Nope not a hope of getting a deal on the iphone flat out refused and told me they have been instructed that the only deals available are the published ones. This might change when they loose the exclusive status so you never know.

Soldato
Well... got my 02 upgrade entitlement letter through today, called them up and coming from a 12-month, £25/month contract had pretty much the same choice as you, 3-4 low specced phones, none of which are particularly appealing to me.

I'm quite liking the look of the following so far:

SE w980
SE w595
SE c902
SE c905
Nokia 5800
(Quite liking the SE X1 too, but I think that would be pushing it a bit!!)

Any recommendations (or ones I should avoid?)

So I'm going to have a nose around the shop tomorrow to see what takes my fancy, and then give retentions a ring. Wish me luck!

Associate
o2 recently have become really bad with there deals, they want £75 a month before you get the sonyericsson xperia x1 for free and I think £45 a month for the samsung pixon!

Plus they aren't stocking a few phones as they compete against there precious bloody iphone.

I am due a renewal soon on my other contract with them and they have nothing that really appeals to me.

On my primary contract with o2 I had a rentions deal in february, nokia 5800 for £25 a month with 400mins and 1000 texts, I couldn't be bothered argueing with them at the time so accepted it.

If I can't sort out something on my other contract I'll be looking at mobiles.co.uk or similar as they seem to have the handsets on cheaper tariffs for free and free gifts.

Soldato
On my primary contract with o2 I had a rentions deal in february, nokia 5800 for £25 a month with 400mins and 1000 texts, I couldn't be bothered argueing with them at the time so accepted it.

Going to try for something like this I think.

Just out of interest, can they do retentions deals in store, or only over the phone?

Associate
Only over the phone, store is useless tbh apart from having a play with the handsets.

Less texts on every tariff and they wont budge on any pricing at all in store.

They do occasionally have a couple of different handsets in store to what they have online but I think that's more todo with old stock.

Depending what tariff your on already, you should be able to get the £35 a month tariff (600mins/1000texts + a bolt on) knocked down to £25 and a free phone if it's the 5800 your after.

Soldato
I'm on quite a low tariff atm, £25 for 12 months, 100 mins, 300 texts. It was enough a year or so ago, but recently i've started using it a lot more and end up spending about £35/month, so if I can get that tariff you've suggested I'd be a happy bunny =)

Soldato
Nice, just spoke to o2 retentions, and while they would only drop the £35/month tariff to £30, they offered me this instead (which I think is actually better for me):

- £30/month down to £15/month (400 mins/1000 texts/unlimited 02 to 02) (18 month contract)
- Free unlimited web bolt on
- £150 credit towards a handset.

So I have a nice shiny Nokia 5800 on it's way to me for £60, my monthly cost down by £10, and loads of extra usage =D

Only problem is I missed tomorrow's delivery, so it won't come till Tuesday =(

Back
Top Bottom