Whats the most windows like Linux?

Associate
Hi,

I need to put a cheapo pc together, and if I can delay buying the operating system for a month or 2 all the better.

I thinks that some linux distros (Distro - learning the lingo) are quite like windows, any idea where I can download it in one go - there seems to be a lot of confusion about "This only works with gnome, not KDE. And never with ubuntu." That dont mean jack to me, Im just after a windows alike from one download if possible.

Cheers.

Associate
Don't hold me to it but most linux distros uses the same unix kernel which means go with the one that is the most GUI user-friendly, I'd say Ubuntu?

JC

JC

Soldato
Soldato
Im just after a windows alike from one download if possible.

Ubuntu uses Gnome. Kubuntu uses KDE. KDE is more like Windows than Gnome.

So, download the Kubuntu Live CD and give it a whirl. You can run it entirely from CD, without having to install.

http://www.kubuntu.org/tour

Mature version
-----------------
32 bit ISO --> http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/hardy/kubuntu-8.04.2-desktop-i386.iso

64 bit ISO --> http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/hardy/kubuntu-8.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso

Bleeding edge version
-------------------------
32 bit ISO --> http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/jaunty/kubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso

64 bit ISO --> http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/jaunty/kubuntu-9.04-desktop-amd64.iso

Man of Honour
Soldato
When you say "like Windows" what do you mean specifically? Almost all distros have packaging systems that make, at least, the installation of software a very different experience when compared to Windows. I think it makies it better and easier, but I'm biased in that i'm familiar with how the system works.

Guessing at the answer I'm going to recommend Mandriva. It uses RedHat-like packages which can often times be treated like Windows installers.

Any of the *buntu family would be an excellent choice for a new user regardless of its similarity to Windows.

Associate
Go with Ubuntu and look at the term "Restricted-Extras". Once you have these in you will be able to use flash,java and view dvd's, divx etc. From there you will have to learn about how Ubuntu uses software install differently.

Good luck and keep going as its not as tricky as you first think.

Associate
There was a whole bunch of Winiby distros at one point: Lycoris, Java Desktop System (JDS), Xandros and Linspire.

Of those the only one left is Xandros which you have to pay for, but the free version of Linspire called Freespire is still available.

It includes an app store called click'n'run to install new programs.

Associate
I'd say go with Ubuntu aswell. Extremely well documented, all the software you could ever want in the repositories (probably won't pick this up straight away though) and very user friendly. 9.04 was released a few weeks ago and this has more drivers than ever making it compatible with lots of hardware out of the box.

KDE vs Gnome is just preference, if you've never used either you might be better just looking at a few screenshots and deciding which you prefer the look of. I find Gnome much better to use personally.

Edit, quite surprised at the RedHat based recommendation above, never been a fan of RPM's myself..Installing them isn't always the problem it just seems like too much hard work compared to using apt-get with Ubuntu...

Last edited:
Associate
quite surprised at the RedHat based recommendation above, never been a fan of RPM's myself..Installing them isn't always the problem it just seems like too much hard work compared to using apt-get with Ubuntu...

apt-get isn't very like Windows though where as double clicking on an RPM is quite similar to double clicking an .exe. Of course double clicking on an DEB is also very similar.

Associate
apt-get isn't very like Windows though where as double clicking on an RPM is quite similar to double clicking an .exe. Of course double clicking on an DEB is also very similar.

Using the gui would be easy enough to pick up though, Aptitude is it? Good point re clicking on an exe though.

Associate
Use the Windows disk to re-write your MBR? (Master Boot Record)

I think if you have a Windows XP disk you need to boot into the recovery console and type fixmbr although it's been a long time since I had to do this so I could be wrong.

Thanks

Associate
You could try PCLinuxOS. It's stable and has quite good reviews in Linux Format magazine for its look and feel which makes Windows users feel a bit more comfortable about using it.

Download the LiveCD and give it a whirl!

Back
Top Bottom