hi-fi seperates

daz

daz

Soldato
First things you need to decide is a) your budget and b) what is going to be the use for the system (music, films, or perhaps both....)

Then we can suggest things that match what youre looking for! :)

Associate
Originally posted by daz
First things you need to decide is a) your budget and b) what is going to be the use for the system (music, films, or perhaps both....)

Then we can suggest things that match what youre looking for! :)

and the size/shape of the room

Associate
Get yourself to richersounds, if your on a budget just get a set of speakers, amp and a cd player, then ad the rest later when u have the money.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Originally posted by Rebel=UK=
Get yourself to richersounds, if your on a budget just get a set of speakers, amp and a cd player, then ad the rest later when u have the money.

That's great advice, but only if the original poster is on a budget. What are Richers going to be able to supply if he turns around and says he wants to spend a couple of grand on a system?

As the first reply states, you need to think about your budget, and whether you want to focus on music, films or try a compromise that it trying to achieve both.
Yes, I do mean compromise, the two requirements do have different areas of focus and will massively change the kit you should buy.

Associate
well if he says that richersounds will supply him with the best they have got, which will be good enough for any home hi-fi use, and if he wants have hi-fi and film use, he can test it all in richersounds's testing room (in some stores), cant say fairer then that.

daz

daz

Soldato
which will be good enough for any home hi-fi use

No, richer sounds are not necessarily the best at all. They offer very good value for money, but at the upper end of the scale their product range is severely limited.

Richer Sounds are *not* the only place to buy hi-fi components, as some people appear to think. :confused:

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
well if he says that richersounds will supply him with the best they have got, which will be good enough for any home hi-fi use

Nice idea, but I've heard the best that Richers have got, and frankly it's not that great in absolute terms.
You really should try to make it to a major hi-fi show such as Bristol next year. Go have a listen to some of the hi-end stuff.
Don't get me wrong, the kit is NOT cheap at all, but some of it has the ability to make top end RS stuff sound like a midi system.

As already stated, RS really are the dogs if you want fairly cheap value for money kit. Once you start leaving that area, they really don't hold the range.

Soldato
Originally posted by Mr_Sukebe
Nice idea, but I've heard the best that Richers have got, and frankly it's not that great in absolute terms.
You really should try to make it to a major hi-fi show such as Bristol next year. Go have a listen to some of the hi-end stuff.
Don't get me wrong, the kit is NOT cheap at all, but some of it has the ability to make top end RS stuff sound like a midi system.

As already stated, RS really are the dogs if you want fairly cheap value for money kit. Once you start leaving that area, they really don't hold the range.

Hmm well if Richer sounds are not up to scratch then we can suggest some other (better) stores:D
Most people, in my experience will not pay high end prices. Lets see what Smos says his budget is.
Any anyway its all down to the person listening as to whether it sounds good or not...its a personal thing!
My best advice is always go and listen yourself and dont let the salesman\woman bully you into a purchase. Its you that takes it home so only you can say if it sounds good!

Rich

Soldato
I would avoid RS unless you are spending less than £300 - Sevenoaks and Superfi are far better for advice and product range!

So, We need:
A budget
the size of your room
The purpose for which you want to use the Separates

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Originally posted by smos
around £400

- some decent speakers
- cd player
- amp
- perhaps a DAB tuner

OK, that's RS money.

From what you're saying looks like you want stereo as against AV, let us know if we're wrong on that.

I can't comment on the CD player or amp, just don't know much about budget level kit.

For speakers, try a pair of Kef Cresta 3s. Now available for just over £100/pair, and for the money, they are awesome.

Ref the Dab tuner, I'd actually be rather cautious about that.
In short, DAB has a lot of potential advantages. Unfortunately they are presently being squandered by a seeming intent of having as many channels as possible.
The key point is that there is a limited bandwidth available for content providers. So there is a trade off, of either many channels and low bandwidth signals, or fewer channels, but better quality, higher bandwidth.
As I understand it, the bandwidth for most channels is pretty poor, sometimes down to 96kbit/sec, which is lower than most MP3 recordings. For hi-fi, that really is NOT good news.
There is however one other option for digital music, which is freeview TV. You can now buy a freeview box for £100, which will not only have TV, but also 20-30 radio stations, all of which are digital, and run at a higher bit rate than most DAB channels.
I know which option I chose...

Associate
hmm just been checking through richers sounds and picked this lot out, no reason for y i picked certain parts,you can change pieces, tried to keep it all black, choose silver if u want, but i think black looks better for longer:

AMP £79
http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301417

CD player £99
http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=205240

Speakers £99 (stand mounted)
http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=206915

DAB Tuner £119
http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=300016

total £396

Last edited:
Associate
The two most important things are the speakers and the amp, so spend the most you can on those.

I've got Celestion A3 Floorstanders top-of-the-range [EDITED]! And a 200 watt per channel @4ohm Sony direct line amp. Normally I just use them with a £99 mini hifi providing the CD source, and it still sounds very good. When i'm in the mood I use the £300 RME soundcard on my PC, then it sounds very very very good indeed.

Edit: Please DO NOT swear. Thank you. - The Dons.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Originally posted by smos
why are people pointing me away from a DAB radio. do you know something i don't?

Smos>

Please re-read my earlier statement about DAB. If you want more info do a search on google using criteria such as DAB and bandwidth. Probably plenty of comments around.

Back
Top Bottom