How much import tax do you pay on dvds from the US?

Associate
As above, I'm about to buy a collection of dvd's and want to know what % customs can add on.

Also do customs tax you on US rrp of the dvds or the price u paid for the dvds as the dvds are currently on sale.

The price of the dvds I want to buy are

$169.99 +
Shipping $32.00
Total $201.99

Soldato
dunno.. all i ever do is buy from boxoffice and they send em all as gifts, i never ordered more than 1 or 2 so i dunno bout bulk.

sorry its not much help.. but if they are seperate maybe no charge?

Associate
Fingers crossed you shouldn't have to pay anything on them unless the customs check it.

But if they do:

"Import Duty is usually percentage based. It averages at between about 5% and 9% - but with extremes in some cases between nil and 85%.

Customs assess the amount of Import Duty to be paid based on the declared value of the goods, PLUS the transport costs to the country of destination.

Value Added Tax (VAT) is then added. The value for VAT purposes is therefore the declared value of the goods, PLUS the transport costs to the country of destination, PLUS the Import Duty"

http://www.sloanefox.freeserve.co.uk/importukduty.htm

Also have a look at http://www.importadisk.com/

Commissario
21% of the declaired cost of the goods if they are over £18 and caught by customs (3.5% import duty, 17.5% VAT).

Then a fee from the courier/post office for dealing with customs (between about £1.20 for DHL if the goods are under £100 and £10 for UPS)

I've been hit a few times, and have given up using Amazon.com and Amazon.ca because most of my recent orders from them have been hit.

Commissario
Originally posted by Hedge
dunno.. all i ever do is buy from boxoffice and they send em all as gifts, i never ordered more than 1 or 2 so i dunno bout bulk.

sorry its not much help.. but if they are seperate maybe no charge?

DVDboxoffice are normally safe for box sets as well, average in transit time of about 8 days (although they can be slow to get the goods in if they are not pre-orders).
This assumes you use their free shipping (all i ever use).

having said that i'm starting to get concerned about a package shipped on the 10th (i expect it will turn up by about saturday though).

There is actually some info in the sticky about this sort of thing:p

Associate
Originally posted by Werewolf
DVDboxoffice are normally safe for box sets as well, average in transit time of about 8 days (although they can be slow to get the goods in if they are not pre-orders).
This assumes you use their free shipping (all i ever use).

having said that i'm starting to get concerned about a package shipped on the 10th (i expect it will turn up by about saturday though).

There is actually some info in the sticky about this sort of thing:p

Werewolf I had this too with my last order (Mahoromatic), it was sent out on the 10th and I received it yesterday. It seems like they are running a little slow at the moment :)

Commissario
Originally posted by Medge
Werewolf I had this too with my last order (Mahoromatic), it was sent out on the 10th and I received it yesterday. It seems like they are running a little slow at the moment :)

thanks for that :)
the set i'm waiting on is a Limited Edition (Witch Hunter Robin with the t-shirt and shot glass*), and considering how hard some LE's are to find even just a few weeks after release** i hate it when they take longer than average to arrive.

i take it you've found out about the fun and frolics that is Mahoromatic? (fun series although the "dolls" Pioneer threw into some of the first prints of disks 1-3 were oddly disconcerting)

*although Bandai would prefer it to be called a beverage glass, Jerry Vo is rather adminant about that on the AOD forums :p

**Ai Yori Aoshi DVD1 + box is going for $100+ on Ebay in some cases :eek: (and it was only released in about March), and i've just managed to find a reputable retailer who doesn't charge a fortume in shipping who has Haibane Renmei + box still in stock.

Commissario
Originally posted by Bartleby
Got my witch hunter robin LE other day :cool:
back on subject i ordered R1dvd from play it was £32.99 and was hit by customs for £9.79 :(

ouch :(

about £5.54 VAT and import, and £4.25 customs if memory serves in regards to the Post Office's fees (i'm sure they are £4.25 for handling, with PF charging £8)

Associate
Ooh Witch Hunter Robin and Ai Yori Aoshi now they are absolutely top of my list (especially Ai Yori Aoshi, I have seen some of these and I need the whole series). From what I heard about Witch Hunter Robin it is very X-Files esq and quite dark, so this sounds like a nice alternative to the cuter things I have been enjoying :)

Usually DvdBoxoffice are quite quick for me when they have been shipped but as of the last month or so they have been taking an extra 5 or so days.

I must confess to not having seen the Mahoromatic dolls, although from what I can see so far things are definitely on a iffy trend towards the end of episode 4 :D. I'm going to go with the other episodes now along with a few other orders for various things.

I have heard some good things about two other supplies who seem to have some very good prices on Fruits Basket (been recommended this as I expressed my love of Chobits and Ai Yori Aoshi). Oh and of course as posted some time ago Chobits, I had a small cash flow problem then but now it is sorted, so I will have to get myself this, I just hope the sets are still around :(

Damn you purveyors of decent quality viewing. :D

Commissario
Medge if you can wait on Chobits, apparently it should be released here next year by MVM, no idea of if it will have any cuts (i can't think of anything that would obviously require a cut).

FB is meant to be very good, it's just had a price reduction so the RRP is now $30 instead of $40 per disk, which means in practice you can get it from about $20 per disk + shipping.

One word of advice, all of Pioneer/Geonom (their new name still sounds like something from Bubblegum Crisis), DVD1 + box releases are limited, even if they are not sold as such, so if you can find a retailer with say Chobits 1 + box it might be worth ordering it now and putting off another disk for a while (assuming you get the R1 disks and not the R4 disk + box).

Associate
(DVDBoxoffice) ...having said that i'm starting to get concerned about a package shipped on the 10th (i expect it will turn up by about saturday though).

Ah, stop yer moaning. It too DVDPlanet 2 months to ship my an in-stock copy of Junkers Come Here! (sadly not really worth the wait)

Interestingly it took HVM.co.jp 2 days to ship a Japanese R2 copy of Laputa: Castle in the Sky (learning Japanese so wanted one with Japanese+English dialog AND Japanese subtitles).

On topic though, I would suggest you DON'T place big orders, as it's the higher priced items that tend to attract the most attention. Go with someone like DVDBoxoffice, where the shipping cost is the same for 1 DVD as it is for 100 (i.e. free) then some might get caught, but most should get through - unless you are REALLY unlucky!

Last edited:
Commissario
Originally posted by /\/\j17
Ah, stop yer moaning. It too DVDPlanet 2 months to ship my an in-stock copy of Junkers Come Here! (sadly not really worth the wait)

Interestingly it took HVM.co.jp 2 days to ship a Japanese R2 copy of Laputa: Castle in the Sky (learning Japanese so wanted one with Japanese+English dialog AND Japanese subtitles).

On topic though, I would suggest you DON'T place big orders, as it's the higher priced items that tend to attract the most attention. Go with someone like DVDBoxoffice, where the shipping cost is the same for 1 DVD as it is for 100 (i.e. free) then some might get caught, but most should get through - unless you are REALLY unlucky!

i've yet to have any orders from DVDBO caught by customs ;)
hence the reason i use them (and i've not heard of anyone who has)

DVDplanet are awfull, they used to be fairly good, but the past 6 months have seen them go downhill rapidly, i pre-ordered a disk from them about 4 months ago - it's been out 2 months and has been in stock for about that long and it's still not shipped (luckily i ordered it from 2 places as it's an LE).

the reason i'm slightly worried about my dvdbo order is that it's actually been in transit for 13 days now - normally it takes 4-6 days ;) (mind you i won't panic for another week or so)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
If you can, get the company to list as commercial samples value $0, put no invoice in the package and customs won't know any different.

I've had tonnes of stuff sent to me from all over and never once paid import tax or duty. Sometimes it is luck of the draw as they don't always check.

Associate
Medge if you can wait on Chobits, apparently it should be released here next year by MVM, no idea of if it will have any cuts (i can't think of anything that would obviously require a cut).

FB is meant to be very good, it's just had a price reduction so the RRP is now $30 instead of $40 per disk, which means in practice you can get it from about $20 per disk + shipping.

One word of advice, all of Pioneer/Geonom (their new name still sounds like something from Bubblegum Crisis), DVD1 + box releases are limited, even if they are not sold as such, so if you can find a retailer with say Chobits 1 + box it might be worth ordering it now and putting off another disk for a while (assuming you get the R1 disks and not the R4 disk + box).

Thanks for that, I would wait but I'm going nuts not having seen all of it, I need to see it all so I'll order it this week I thin :)

Yep I saw Fruits Basket at $20 so for that price I think it would be rude not to go for it. Likewise with the Witch Hunter Robin set, I really think it's a crack set to start me off with. There's loads I want to see at the moment and I see what you mean about putting off less important titles so I can get the 1st episodes with the box and other bits. Along those lines did you see those Nausicaa sets, now they were impressive.

Can I ask if you've had much trouble with getting box sets through customs? I haven't been caught yet but then again I rarely go over £18 on a single transaction and when I do it's usually only for one DVD. I space my orders out over a few days. Some of the perfect collection sets (and Ultimate sets) are what I'm really after, especially Bubblegum Crisis 2040, Escaflowne and Evangelion. :)

I know what my Christmas list is going to be like :D

Commissario
for DVD sets i would probably recommend either DVDboxoffice or DVDsoon, neither get hit by customs very often if at all.

DVDsoon seem to mark every item in the order at $12 value.

My normaly tip is to look at the price of the DVD's including any shipping.
If a retailer is 20% cheaper than DVDboxoffice after allowing for shipping i'll normally risk them.
If not and they are a company that do get hit for customs a lot (Amazon are awful for customs), then i go with DVDBoxoffice.

One word of warning, once you start getting into anime DVD's you'll probably regret it when you look at your bank balance ;)

Most ADV disk 1 + box are not really that limited.
Most Bandai disk 1 + box's are limited in some form, usually to about 10 or 15k
Almost all Pioneer/Geonom Disk 1 +box are limited, but they don't always say so at the time (examples are Ai Yori Aoshi and Amazing Nurse Nanako neither was announced as a LE and it was only realised after initial stocks started running out).

Almost all "digipacks" and "brick packs" are "unlimited", although some will have an extra for early buyers (something like a signed poster).
Apart from that they are normally standard stock items (things like the Evangelion, Nadesico and Bubblegeum Crisis 2040 Perfect Collections, and the Outlaw Start set).

Back
Top Bottom