**The Official Everything MMA Related Thread**

Soldato
Seen there are a handful of people that watch UFC and MMA in general on this here forum, so thought I would create a general MMA thread for discussion of anything MMA related, UFC events etc.

For the first bit of news some might not know Brandon "Never Quit" Quick one of Eddie Bravo's brown belts, has been kicked out of the 10th planet system.

He basically had a fake brown belt from an equally fakle black belt he trained in the army with, it all got out in the open during a debate on sherdog.com and he has since been dropped.

Associate
So, any comments on Machida? I haven't really paid any attention to him until his fight in UFC 98, but as someone who has done karate I have to say that it really was an excellent display of how to use karate techniques in MMA.

Body roundhouse kicks followed by straight punches before the foot has landed are traditional techniques and were great to watch in that fight. I do however agree with the commentators that if he wasn't so good on his back then it would be a risky technique.

Associate
I prefered the format of each PPV having its own thread, much easier to fin info and spoilers

there will more than likely still be a thread for each event as and when it occurs for results and such but a thread like this is good for general discussion and events that might not be relatedly to singular PPVs.

Soldato
OP
Also anyone who is an MMA fan probably follows more than just the UFC, I can post fight vids in this thread for fighters who are not in the UFC. For example the Fedor and Josh Barnett fight that is coming up.

2 of the best heavyweights in the world that are not in the UFC which should still be followed.

As for Machida, I don't see him losing his belt for a while as long as people play to his strength. If Rampage takes him down and ground and pounds him I think he can take it, I know Machida has a black belt in BJJ but he is not world class.

On a side note ol Tim Sylvia has gone down hill since the UFC, his last fight was a non televised event against former heavyweight boxer Ray Mercer. Tim weighed in at 310 pounds for this fight!

Safe to say it didn't turn out well for him, sorry about crap view but as I say it was not televised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1M_PIFW4wI

Last edited:
Associate
UFC 100 next week!

Seen the fight card? Looks insane! On paper this is the first great UFC pay-per-view in a long time.

* Heavyweight Championship bout: Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir
* Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre vs. Thiago Alves
* Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago
* Middleweight bout: Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping
* Middleweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher

How insane is that!?!

My predictions:
Mir wins by submission
GSP wins by submission
Fitch wins by knockout
Bisping wins (50/50 for KO or Sub)
Akiyama wins by KO

Soldato
The UFC 100 card has some stonkingly good prelims too!

Jon "Bones" Jones vs Jake O'Brien
Mac Danzig vs Jim Miller
And not to mention Mark Coleman vs Stephan Bonner

I suggest anyone that hasn't seen Jon Jones fight try and look for his fight against Stephan Bonner - he's takedowns and highlight real kicks and backfists are absolutely phenominal. He tires very quickly but he's an incredibly gifted talent who will be a real big star some day.

Should be an absolutely brilliant PPV.

Mir vs Lesnar... I don't see it lasting too long but it should be a very good fight.

Mir was sensational in his last fight, but Lesnar is so explosive and so dominant when he gets you on the ground... and we had a remind of how good Mir is when he grabbed the ankle in their last fight.

GSP vs Alves should be brilliant, GSP is of course one of the oustanding talents in MMA today and Thiago Alves is ripping through everyone right now.

Soldato
Just dug up some info about UFC100 in the UK

It seems a fair few companies are trying to get the Live feed here in the UK, including Five, Virgin, Sky Sports, Bravo and ESPN - and a fall back would be a tape delayed feed by Bravo (ala what they used to do a year or two ago)... we supposedly will hear on Monday who has won the rights to the show.

FANS of mixed martial arts in the UK have been boosted by the news UFC 100 will definitely air live on July 11.

Speculation has mounted that the event would be screened on Bravo on tape delay following Setanta's collapse last week.

But we can reveal the main card from the Mandalay Bay spectacular will be broadcast in its entirety as it happens.

We understand Virgin 1 is favourite to screen the extravaganza — which looks set to be the biggest event in MMA history.

Speaking exclusively to SunSport, the UFC's UK president, Marshall Zelaznik said: "I'd like to guarantee our loyal British and Irish fans that UFC 100 will be LIVE on television over here.

"You won't have to wait to see the biggest event in UFC history. UFC 100 will be live in the UK."

The showpiece sees Brock Lesnar clash with Frank Mir in a heavyweight title unification bout in the main event.

Welterweight star Georges St Pierre also puts his title on the line against rising Brazilian star Thiago Alves, while Britain's biggest MMA fighter Michael Bisping pits his wits against legendary American middleweight Dan Henderson.

In a further boost, it is claimed SIX TV channels are battling it out for the rights to screen fight cards following Setanta's demise.

Zelaznik added: "We've got some very exciting options on the table and I expect to be able to make an annoucement by Monday."

ESPN are said to have lodged a huge bid to become the new home of the UFC in the UK and are the frontrunners to seal a long-term contract with the promotion — probably starting with UFC 101 in August.

But they face a challenge from Five, who are keen on bringing MMA to a mainstream audience.

Although Five cannot match ESPN's financial clout, the lure of terrestrial television may help swing them the deal in favour of their subscription-based rivals.

Sky Sports are also in the running, even though they lost out to Setanta two years ago.

Bravo are also interested in screening live fights, but Virgin 1 would seem a better fit if an agreement with ESPN or Five cannot be reached.

Insiders at Virgin 1 were reportedly amazed at the viewing figures season nine of The Ultimate Fighter produced considering the minimal advertising spend the show received.

Over 380,000 people watched the TUF 9 finale on the channel earlier this month and the UFC are said to be delighted with those figures.

Source: The Sun

Soldato
OP
I hope Sky don't get it as I don't have the sports channels :( I'll just watch a live stream online from somewhere if they do.

Really looking forward to this card, if whoever wins it has it live at 3 in the morning or whatever I will stay up an watch it, everyday im on MMA sites and I can't stop myself looking at results so I will have to watch it live.

On a side note UFC Heavyweight Antoni Hardonk saved someone from being mugged.

A message to muggers with homemade knives: You may want to think twice before you select a 6′4″, 250 pound K-1 and UFC veteran as your target.

According to a recent report on Yahoo! Sports by Kevin Iole, Antoni Hardonk, a bonafide bad mofo with four knockouts in the UFC’s heavyweight division, was recently approached by three assailants outside of a Los Angeles airport where he was asked for some spare change. When Hardonk failed to come up with any change for the men they pulled out a homemade shank with a two inch blade and demanded the feared kickboxer’s wallet.

Needless to say, three men or not Hardonk wasn’t exactly in the mood to hand over his billfold, so he told the trio to come and get it. The three must have figured Hardonk was a little to bulky for them to handle and wisely dropped the subject and slithered down the street.

As Hardonk drove from the scene with his attorney who had been accompanying him they saw the three men surrounding a young girl, then dash towards a man walking down the street and proceeded to grapple his wallet away from him.

Antoni Hardonk to the rescue.

He bumrushed two of the men, knocked them to the pavement and chased the third man until he dropped the wallet.

Eventually the trio escaped over a fence empty handed, but they can consider themselves lucky that they escaped with their lives.

Sauce.
http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/07/02/antoni-hardonk-prevents-armed-robbery/

Associate
Hardonks my new hero! :D That's an awesome story, though it could easily have went very very wrong.

My mate told me that Virgin One will be showing the PPV but not quite sure where he got the info from. If it's true though, I believe that means freeview folk are in for a treat!

Soldato
OP
In his rematch last month with Mike Brown, Urijah Faber once again ended up on the wrong end of the fight with American Top Team fighter. The two went five rounds with Faber losing a unanimous decision.

That doesn't sound so out of the ordinary, until you realize that Faber broke his right hand in the first round then injured his left in the third, yet he still managed to finish the fight.

"It was during the first round. I hit him right on top of the head," he said of the injury that required surgery and the insertion of metal plates. "It wasn't until the third round that I hurt my left hand, though."

Many fighters would have cashed it in soon after the broken hand in the opening round, but not the former WEC featherweight champion.

"I just went back to the corner and told Master Thong, who is my Muay Thai trainer, 'my hand is broke, my hand is broke.' He told me to shut up, and he said, 'you're a champion,' and hit me in the heart. I wasn't planning on quitting, but it was heavy on my mind. When push came to shove, I don't have any quit in me."

The injury to his right hand was severe.

"The fourth and the fifth metacarpal were completely snapped. The fourth one was completely displaced. The fifth one... I could feel the bones grind together, so what was happening is it was splintering away," he recounted. "They basically put in some steel plates and some screws (to help the healing process)."

With one fight left on his WEC contract, Faber isn't wasting any time sitting back and waiting for his hand to heal up on its own. He's gone to great lengths to move the process along.

"I'm a proactive person... I'm trying to do all sorts of unconventional things and stuff that is gonna stimulate it. I'm getting the cast off early even though the bone's not gonna be healed, I'm gonna get a removal cast so I can start moving my hand and getting it better."

And when he is healed up, he wants to get right back into action. Of course, with one fight left on his contract, that's one more thing for him to focus on while he is healing up. But not only is Faber looking to extend his contract with the promotion he has helped build, he is pushing for WEC parent company Zuffa to start putting more focus on the UFC's sibling.

"What we have is a company that's growing right now; they're kind of putting that on the shoulders of some of the people. I feel like we should be looked at as investments," he commented. "If they're not making money right now, they're spending money on a lot of other stuff to help build their business and the fighters are part of that.

"I'd like a little bit more attention, money put into the WEC brand. It doesn't grow overnight, but they really should be making a big push. We've got a lot of guys that are extremely marketable. We've got the most exciting fights in the world for sure.

"I feel like I'm making a pretty good name for myself and I'd like to be compensated for this. I don't feel like being someone that is gonna build up something and not reap the rewards, but in all honesty, they do have the fighters interests in mind."

Faber isn't saying he wants to go elsewhere. Why would he? He's logged many hours building not only himself, but the WEC brand. Plus, he's got unfinished business with Mike Brown that he would eventually like to attend to.

"I think there's a future fight between us. I have a good shot at getting a title shot real soon down the road," he told MMAWeekly.com.

"So I'm hoping that we can reach a great agreement and I can keep fighting with the WEC because I love it there."

Soldato
Can someone remind me of a fight.. I can't remember who the fighters were but he won by leg kicks. He kept kicking his leg the whole fight, and eventually knocked him down just by leg kicks, waited till he got up then kicked him down again until the ref stopped it...

edit: it wasn't Cro Cop v Yoshida, although it was like that.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
After conflicting reports and questions about Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic's standing with the Japanese-based DREAM organization and the UFC, the Croatian fighter is, in fact, returning to the octagon.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported on Wednesday that Junior Dos Santos (8-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) had been pulled from a UFC 102 bout with Justin McCully, and sources close to the negotiations now tell us he is set to fight fellow heavyweight Filipovic (25-6-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC) at UFC 103.

The event takes place Sept. 19 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, and airs live on pay-per-view.

It's unknown if the heavyweight clash will serve as the night's main event.

After a nearly two-year-long split from the UFC, Filipovic returned to the organization last month and defeated Mustapha Al Turk at UFC 99 in Cologne, Germany. During a media conference call to announce his return and late addition to the UFC 99 card, Filipovic said he considered his first run in the UFC, which included a 1-2 record and losses to Gabriel Gonzaga and Cheick Kongo, a "black mark" on his career.

Filipovic also said he wanted to make a run at the UFC title with his return to the organization. On the same call, UFC President Dana White announced he had signed Filipovic to a rare one-fight deal – with a verbal agreement that a multi-fight contract would be signed after UFC 99. White said it was the first time in his history with the organization he agreed to such a deal.

However, just hours after the event, White told Yahoo! Sports that Filipovic "[expletived] me" and that the fighter informed him he had signed a three-fight deal with the Japanese-based DREAM organization.

"Isn't that a dirty [expletive] thing to do?" White asked rhetorically after being queried about Filipovic's deal with DREAM. "He [expletived] me. The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal, and he [expletived] me."

Even as Filipovic told Croatian media outlets that it was a simple misunderstanding and that he hadn't signed with the Japanese promotion, a DREAM official told USA Today the organization had, in fact, secured a deal with Filipovic.

Last week, though, Croatian outlets reported that UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta had flown to the fighter's home and signed Filipovic to a deal that would keep him in the UFC. And on Wednesday, Dos Santos confirmed to GracieMag.com he had been pulled from the UFC 102 card and was slated to fight at UFC 103, possibly against Filipovic in the night's main event.

With his new UFC deal apparently done, Filipovic's current status with DREAM is unknown.

Regardless, Filipovic enters UFC 103 with three wins (and one no-contest) in his past four fights. All three victories came via
Yes, Junior Dos Santos is set to fight Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovoc at UFC 103

first-round stoppage, though Filipovic was losing the September 2008 fight with Alistair Overeem before an illegal knee to Filipovic's groin forced a no-contest. There was also some controversy in the win over Al-Turk after the bout's referee didn't see an illegal (and inadvertent) eye poke from Filipovic that forced his opponent to cover up. Filipovic pounced on Al-Turk and forced a first-round TKO stoppage just seconds later.

Prior to the fight, Filipovic said a surgically repaired knee had felt its best in years and that he is again fighting at 100 percent.

He now faces a stern test in Dos Santos, a rising heavyweight contender who followed an upset TKO win over Fabricio Werdum in October with a dominating 54-second knockout of Stefan Struve in February at UFC 95. A win over Filipovic could thrust the Brazilian fighter into immediate title contention.

Source - http://mmajunkie.com/news/15450/yes...-fight-mirko-cro-cop-filipovoc-at-ufc-103.mma

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
UFC keeps Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic in the fold, secures three-fight deal

Heavyweight contender Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic has signed a three-fight contract extension with the Ultimate Fighting Championship, UFC president Dana White said on Monday.

Filipovic's rights were in dispute after UFC 99 when Yahoo! Sports, the Canadian Press and several Japanese newspapers reported that Filipovic was going to spurn the oral agreement he made with the UFC and instead fight for the Japanese-based promotion, DREAM.

Several days after the initial reports, Sergio Non of USA Today; reported that DREAM official Mike Kogan confirmed that Filipovic would fight on its July 20 show. A fight between Filipovic and "Mighty" Mo Siligia briefly appeared on DREAM's website as scheduled for July 20.

But Filipovic never signed the DREAM contract and opted instead to honor the agreement he made over the telephone with White. And as MMAjunkie.com reported last week, Filipovic's first bout on the extension will be against Junior dos Santos at UFC 103 in Dallas on Sept. 19.

White blamed Filipovic's manager, Ken Imai, for the confusion over Filipovic's rights. Imai could not be reached for comment.

White, though, said he was pleased to have Filipovic back in the fold.

"I never had a problem with Mirko himself, and I'm looking forward to having him fight for us again," White said. "He's said (his previous stint in) the UFC is the black mark on his career and he wants to do something about that."

Source - http://mmajunkie.com/news/15509/ufc...ovic-in-the-fold-secures-three-fight-deal.mma

Soldato
OP
Shane Carwin has a few words about Brock Lesnar.

Whatever it was, Carwin pulled no punches on his personal blog, hammering Lesnar for taunting a fallen opponent, tossing middle fingers at the Mandalay Bay Events Center crowd in Las Vegas and acting like anything but a respectful champion Saturday.

“The flipping off of the fans that just lined your pocket with millions of dollars is just LAME,” Carwin wrote. “He may be a champion but he has a long ways to go before he earns the respect of a champion.”

It got better, with the old school Carwin, who sports an 11-0 record, lecturing Lesnar like he was a little boy.

“The fans are why we do this Brock, this sport is not about fat paychecks and drama. It is about hard work and sacrifice for a shot to do what you did [Saturday] night. It doesn’t matter how much money you make if you can’t earn your peers respect and the respect and love of the greatest sporting fans in the world.

“Every autograph I give, every hand I shake I am thankful that you give me the opportunity to be a part of your world. This is the greatest sport in the world and most of the athletes in it deserve the love and respect they get and some just don’t get it.”

The mechanical engineer wasn’t done yet. Next up, a shot at Lesnar’s pro wrestling background.

“We have no scripts in this sport, no pre-determined earning amount and no pre-determined outcomes. It doesn’t matter if you win or lose; it matters how you win or lose.”

Source - http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-brockcarwin071309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Back
Top Bottom