28mm f2.8 or 50mm f1.7 on cropped sensor?

Pug

Pug

Soldato
Deffo gonna be buying a prime, and was gonna get the 50mm (i have a Sony A200).

However, when i set my kit lens to a fixed focal of 50mm it doesnt seem wide enough really - and could cause problems for that?

Whereas the 28mm (albeit "only" f2.8) seemed a better proposition (and i can always crop in later)

What are people thoughts? I want it as a general lens, for parties, portraits and some walking where i wont need anything longer (have a 18-70 and 75-300 if i need reaCH)

Opinions/thoughts?

Associate
I have the 50mm f1.8 and I wouldn't use it as a walkabout lense myself. However, I can say that it's a great lense and I've had some of my favourite images by using it. I think however it's more likely down to personal preference as to whether you like a wider lense over something like the 50mm though.

Hope thats of some us.

Soldato
I agree that 50mm (on a crop) doesn't make a good focal length for every day.

But it will be excellent for low light which I assume your zoom's are not able to accommodate for.

You could ask youself "why do I need a 50 or a 28 when I already have those in one zoom lens" and you'll probably answer "because they can let a lot more light in"

So with that in mind I'd go for the 50mm personally. It'll open you up to many more styles of photography

Pug

Pug

Soldato
OP
yeah, that is the main driver for me - available light levels....

though a narrow DOF and improved sharpness are also reasons for it. a 1.8 28mm would be the best solution i guess, but its a LOT more cash...

Last edited:

Pug

Pug

Soldato
OP
well, yeas and no really! That was what i was contemplating, and it changes the price from £150-180 to £300-odd...

AND i heard Sigma lenses are prone to harming the plastic Sony drive gears...

certainly considering it though, and thanks for the link!

Associate
I'm guessing that your talking about the Minolta 50mm f1.7 & 28mm f2.8? I picked up a 50mm f1.7 from my local camera shop last weekend and it's great - they also had a 28mm f2.8 (they still have it for £99 in fact) which I tried but preferred the 50's faster aperture.

Have a ring around your local camera shops and see if they have any in their second hand section - you will pay far less than they are currently going for on the popular auction site. As an example I paid £69 for mine whereas they are going for £110-£130 online!

Pug

Pug

Soldato
OP
wow thats much better pricing!

I was thinking of the Minolta one yes, though Sony are releasing a redesigned one 50mm SAM 1.7 and its £135 new...

But for £69 & £99 i'd beinclined to get both and sell whichever one i didnt use...

Associate
wow thats much better pricing!

I was thinking of the Minolta one yes, though Sony are releasing a redesigned one 50mm SAM 1.7 and its £135 new...

But for £69 & £99 i'd beinclined to get both and sell whichever one i didnt use...

I was going to buy it and stick it up for auction and make a few bucks but decided against it in case a local Sony/Minolta user was looking for one - another case of my conscious getting the better of me :p

Associate
I'm in a similar situation myself.
Really want a fast prime for indoor shots, but my mate has the nifty 50mm and finds it hard to get everyone in, due to the 1.6x crop.

Contemplating the 35mm, as this will give an actual 50mm with the crop. a lot more money than a nifty-fifty though.. hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom