Police new head scarfs

Soldato
So if I start a religion where you have to wear a thong (and thong only) to enter my church you will do it :confused: :p

If your church was a privately owned property like a mosque, it would be polite to (although your example is flawed as it will take considerably more time and effort than simply putting a bit of cloth on your head, so it is no longer a small gesture that goes a fair way to improving community relations) but you wouldn't have to, it would be your choice
Obviously you would have to be prepared to take any consequences resulting from this

Caporegime
Thought this thread would've been put to bed by now!

Anyhoo, I'm a woman and it wouldn't bother me to put a headscarf on, on the very slim chance that I'd have to enter a mosque. Its a bit of material. It might mean something to muslims but to me it's nothing but a bit of cloth.

Finally a voice of reason unlike quite a few of u in here who feel so aggrieved by a police force asking its female police officers to wear a bit of cloth to respect another religion.

FFS its only a piece of cloth...its not like they are asking you to become muslims FFS:rolleyes:

Caporegime
The problem isn't the fabric, it's what a scarf stand for.

And what exactly does it stand for??..that it degrades women??...that it makes them less inferior to men??...sure if thats how you see it...i personally dont see it that way...as i said earlier im no big fan of the head scarf myself but i dont see it as making women inferior nor does it degrade them in any way shape or form. If a woman chooses and i mean chooses to wear one then fine and dandy with me, my mum wears one when she prays or is reading the Quran otherwise she doesnt...i do have issues with women who are forced to wear one by their parents or husbands as i dont feel that a woman should feel forced to wear one...it should be her choice and only her choice.

Caporegime
If you're not a muslim, it doesn't stand for anything unless you want it to. It could be a rather fetching fashion accessory!

Funnily enough tisonlyme a lot of the girls and women i see wearing one do it for a fashion statement and i have to say some of them look stunning in them lol. But a few of my cousins wear the head scarf and they arent forced to but they wear it because it goes well with their outfits lol...go figure...now the head scarf is a fashion accessory lol.

Associate
Funnily enough tisonlyme a lot of the girls and women i see wearing one do it for a fashion statement and i have to say some of them look stunning in them lol. But a few of my cousins wear the head scarf and they arent forced to but they wear it because it goes well with their outfits lol...go figure...now the head scarf is a fashion accessory lol.

Most of the young muslim girls I see like to wear them with tight tops and skinny jeans. I very much doubt its for religious purposes, going by how tight their clothes actually are :p

I think they look quite cool!

Caporegime
Most of the young muslim girls I see like to wear them with tight tops and skinny jeans. I very much doubt its for religious purposes, going by how tight their clothes actually are :p

They remind me of the headscarf type things grannies wear in cold weather :o

Soldato
people need to decide, whether they are against the police or with them.

when there are protests etc. police are getting their heads smashed in because of economic climate etc. when a law is passed against police, suddenly people care about them

"oh the poor women, how will they see with the scarf on"

they are doing it out of respect. if you decide they dont deserve respect, then thats another issue.

they are trying to break down barriers,

Soldato

them girls, are contradicting themselfs by wearing the head scarf . its supposed to cover them from male attention. if they are exposing other areas of their body then wearing the head scarf is pointless.

its like them wearing a bikini with a head scarf to the beach

i think it maybe a culture and parental pressure to wear it

Associate
people need to decide, whether they are against the police or with them.

when there are protests etc. police are getting their heads smashed in because of economic climate etc. when a law is passed against police, suddenly people care about them

they are doing it out of respect. if you decide they dont deserve respect, then thats another issue.

they are trying to break down barriers,

Simple. Against the senior police pretty much making the women wear them.

Hard to understand? Not to me. This is Bath we are talking about too not London.

Racial tensions in Bath? Not that I am aware of I mean I do live there afterall.

Riots ... LOL

And in response to this fashion statement chat if you think the pic in the OP looks good (not the point anyhows) then whatever I guess. I mean it is those scarfs on these police women we are talking about after all!

and

"oh the poor women, how will they see with the scarf on"

:confused: I don't think anyone ever said that let alone tried to argue it!

Can we just finish this thread now. I think it has more than been established that the women should have been consulted and if anything for the few that if they did want to wear them it should have been something they would have done off there own backs. Not part of the uniform, not with the publicity and as has already been pointed out now has a pointional negative effect with the other female officers more likely avoiding the mosques now where possible.

Last edited:
Soldato

Agreed, some look pretty hot wearing them. :p

Man of Honour
Fair enough, perhaps its just me but i find it really hard to fathom how they can impose a policy without even asking the people it will be imposed on's opinion :confused:

That's standard procedure in most organisations. I don't understand why you find it really hard to understand, because it's the norm.

It's like asking all the men in scotland yard being asked to wear skirts but asking women's opinon on it only

No it isn't, because they didn't ask policemen about the scarves beforehand. They didn't ask anyone.

It's about people at a policy-making level making policy that people below them in the hierarchy have to follow, without asking those people. That is the norm in any organisation, especially large organisations. For example, the people running OcUK might, only might, ask OcUK employees for opinions before implementing a policy and they might, only might, use those opinions to determine policy. It would be odd if that's how OcUK is routinely run, but it could be done that way because there aren't that many employees. It certainly wouldn't happen at a larger business, e.g. PC World.

I'm startled that anyone doesn't know that's how organisations, especially large organisations, function. If anyone more than one level above me in the hierarchy of the business I work for asked me for an opinion about any policy, I'd laugh privately because I know they'd just be pretending and I'd tell them what I thought they wanted to hear because I'd know that would be expected. It would be useless to tell them anything else and it could only adversely affect me, so why do it? It hasn't happened in the 18 years I've been working there and I don't expect it ever will.

Back
Top Bottom