LG Flatron M227WD - 1080p TV/Monitor mini review

Associate
I've just been using the heaphone output for my speakers at the moment, but the monitors do have an Optical Audio Out, which you can use to grab full surround sound from the monitor/tv for your surround sound speakers, supposing they have an optical in or a coaxial digital input, since you can easily find an adaptor to go from optical to coaxial digital

Caporegime
Ah dam it! My mouse slipped and I just happened to buy one of these...

Ah well :)

Ill post my views when it gets here and I can hook it up to my HTPC

Soldato
I have the previous model to this. Its a great monitor/Tv but the main issues I had was with the sound and its good to see that in this incarnation they have spent the extra 50p to put a proper audio out plug on it! you coul get an audio out from the last one but had to use a skart and it lagged so it was incredibly annoying.

The old one has a fair bit of light bleed round the edges, but a cracking monitor/Tv.

Yo.

Yo.

Associate
Anyway.. Does anyone know if this TV puts out 1080p through component? It's for my console.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hey all

Well, its here, and it looks real nice, but im within millimeters of throwing something at it already!!!

Does anyone here use this moitor with an ATI graphics card (ive got a HD3400) and connect it to the monitor with a HDMI cable? I just cant seem to get the resolution right. The PC sayis its displaying 1920x1080 but the picture is slightly smaller than the screen, with a border round it, and the text is all a bit grany and blurred because the resolution doesnt match! I really really really dopnt want to have to use DVI with my HTPC, especially seen as I bought this card for its HDMI out and audio over HDMI. Anyone shed any light on how to get a pc to display 1080p correctly on a 1080 monitor using a HDMI connection?

Soldato
Hey all

Well, its here, and it looks real nice, but im within millimeters of throwing something at it already!!!

Does anyone here use this moitor with an ATI graphics card (ive got a HD3400) and connect it to the monitor with a HDMI cable? I just cant seem to get the resolution right. The PC sayis its displaying 1920x1080 but the picture is slightly smaller than the screen, with a border round it, and the text is all a bit grany and blurred because the resolution doesnt match! I really really really dopnt want to have to use DVI with my HTPC, especially seen as I bought this card for its HDMI out and audio over HDMI. Anyone shed any light on how to get a pc to display 1080p correctly on a 1080 monitor using a HDMI connection?

From what I understand - pc over hdmi does not work properly on this monitor.... there's nothing you can do except connect via dvi/vga. :(

Caporegime
From what I understand - pc over hdmi does not work properly on this monitor.... there's nothing you can do except connect via dvi/vga. :(

Your joking me! How utterly crap! Full HD graphics card and full HD monitor, and untill I get a DVI cable sorted im reduced to using VGA!!!!

HDMI even with the scaling and overscan just looks pants. Whats the purpose of this HDMI lark if it doesnt provide crystal clear picture quality!

Not impressed to say the least...

Associate
OP
Your joking me! How utterly crap! Full HD graphics card and full HD monitor, and untill I get a DVI cable sorted im reduced to using VGA!!!!

HDMI even with the scaling and overscan just looks pants. Whats the purpose of this HDMI lark if it doesnt provide crystal clear picture quality!

Yep, unfortunately it isn't designed for PC use over HDMI. Strange because the LG I had before this had a feature where you could change the HDMI picture between PC and Video which made the picture crystal clear like using DVI. This, the newer set, doesn't have that.

Hasn't affected me but is really crap for people using it for a HTPC :(

Caporegime
It would seem then however that HDMI is the modern equuivelent of Scart.... convininet for people with devices like DVD players or consoles with a single cable for picture and sound, but yet again far inferiour to the methods used to connect monitors to PCs.

Will DVI work with bluRay, dont you have to have some HD ecoding capable thingys with BluRay, that include HDMI?

Associate
OP
It would seem then however that HDMI is the modern equuivelent of Scart.... convininet for people with devices like DVD players or consoles with a single cable for picture and sound, but yet again far inferiour to the methods used to connect monitors to PCs.

Will DVI work with bluRay, dont you have to have some HD ecoding capable thingys with BluRay, that include HDMI?

I've just tried hooking up my PC to the TV with an HDMI cable and I've been able to vastly improve the clarity.

Go into the picture menu, set aspect ratio to "Just Scan". This will fit the image perfectly into the display. Now reduce the sharpness to around 15-20 and bingo. It looks almost as good as DVI :D

As for BluRay, just use HDMI for viewing films as you won't be able to notice any difference.

Suspended
I've just tried hooking up my PC to the TV with an HDMI cable and I've been able to vastly improve the clarity.

Go into the picture menu, set aspect ratio to "Just Scan". This will fit the image perfectly into the display. Now reduce the sharpness to around 15-20 and bingo. It looks almost as good as DVI :D

As for BluRay, just use HDMI for viewing films as you won't be able to notice any difference.

I lost my DVI lead, reckon doing that will look better than the VGA I'm using now?
Cause I didn't like the resolution problem before.

Associate
I've got an old Xbox 360 and use it with VGA output which has 2 phono outputs for the sound.
Can i plug that into the monitor and match the vga input with one of the phono inputs?

Caporegime

If ive got it hooked up with DVI i dont want to go swapping round cables to watch blueray, I want it to just work. Will bluray work over DVI?

Associate
OP
If ive got it hooked up with DVI i dont want to go swapping round cables to watch blueray, I want it to just work. Will bluray work over DVI?

DVI doesn't carry sound, so yes and no. You will get a picture but no sound unless you have another sound output directly from your BluRay player (i.e. surround sound)

Associate

I returned one of these monitors for this very reason, in the end i got mt self one of these, fantastic monitor and HDMI works perfectly with a PC, i must confess, i purchased it from a competitor as it was about £40 cheaper.

Caporegime
DVI doesn't carry sound, so yes and no. You will get a picture but no sound unless you have another sound output directly from your BluRay player (i.e. surround sound)

Ive got my sound connected through different means now as im using VGA untill the postie brings my DVI cable.

The Samsung is nice, but its not 50% more nice.... and if BluRay works over DVI then im not bothered, ive just lost the convinience of audio over HDMI, although using the optical out on my PC for a proper sound setup is the plan in the future anyway

Associate
gonna get one of these mainly as a tv, but also to connect up and use as a monitor now and again, just got a quick question about connectivity. i have a:

asus t3-p5g31 system
nvidia 7100 gs 128mb

pc conected via dvi at the moment, so is it possible to get some sort of dvi splitter cable to connect the tv to the pc, and if so, can i output to both sources at the same time, or will i need to turn my pc monitor off whilst using the tv. if this is the case that is fine as i don't see why i would need both running at the same time.

also, as dvi does not carry audio, what sort of cable would i need to be able to send an audio signal to the tv?

Back
Top Bottom