How to create a combined x86 and x64 Windows 7 installation DVD

Associate
Guide 1: How to create a combined x86 and x64 Windows 7 installation DVD

Guide 1: How to create a combined x86 and x64 Windows 7 installation DVD (See Below)

Guide 2: How to create a combined Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 DVD (here)

Here’s a useful tutorial for those that would like to create a single DVD containing all Windows 7 x86 and x64 editions. I know this post seems long and complicated, but it's a lot easier than it looks. Trust me :p

What you’ll need:

• Windows 7 x86 ISO and Windows 7 x64 ISO

• ImageX (part of Windows Automated Installation Kit for Windows 7. RC version available from here. To save some bandwidth, you can download the ImageX tool directly from here.)

• UltraISO (Payware. More info here.) See update at post 9 for free alternative method.

Instructions:

1. Create two folders in any location of your choice (I used the D: partition of my hard drive). Name one folder x64 and the other x86.

2. Extract (or copy and paste the contents of) the x86 ISO to the x86 folder using 7zip or WinRAR. Now extract or copy and paste the contents of the x64 ISO to x64 folder.

3. Run command prompt with administrator privileges.

4. What we’re going to do now is extract all of the editions from the x64 install.wim file and then merge them into the x86 install.wim file.

Inside the install.wim file, there are "Image Index" numbers which refer to different editions (i.e. Home Basic has its own image index number, Home Premium has its own image index number etc.)

Using the following command, you can look up the Image Index numbers inside the install.wim file.

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /info D:\x64\sources\install.wim
(adjust path locations as necessary)

For Windows 7 x64:
Image Index 1 = Home Basic
Image Index 2 = Home Premium
Image Index 3 = Professional
Image Index 4 = Ultimate

Now we’re going to use ImageX to extract each image index from the x64 install.wim file and then merge them into our existing x86 install.wim file.

The command is as follows:

"imagex.exe" /export "[Source install.wim file]" [Index Image number] "[Destination install.wim file]" "[Name of this edition]"

So, here are the commands that I used (you may need to adjust file paths):

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /export "D:\x64\sources\install.wim" 1 "D:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOMEBASIC x64"

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /export "D:\x64\sources\install.wim" 2 "D:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOMEPREMIUM x64"

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /export "D:\x64\sources\install.wim" 3 "D:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL x64"

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /export "D:\x64\sources\install.wim" 4 "D:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 ULTIMATE x64"

5. Now open the x86 "sources" folder and delete the ei.cfg file.

6. All that’s left to do now is to make a new bootable ISO. I use the lazy way of doing this. I call it the lazy way because you don’t have to extract the DVD boot image and then build a new bootable DVD.

Simply open your original x86 ISO with UltraISO, delete the contents of the ISO, drag and drop the contents of the D:\x86 folder into UltraISO and then click “Save As” (NOT “Save” – If you click Save you will overwrite your original x86 ISO). Give the ISO a new name and then save it.

There are obviously other ways of doing this last step so use whatever method/software you feel comfortable with. Update: see post 9 for free alternative method.

7. Now test your ISO in VirtualBox. If all goes well it should look like this:

r90q5v.jpg

You can now burn your ISO to DVD using, for example, ImgBurn. The DVD should be around 3.67GB if you merged all editions.

Enjoy your new DVD containing 9 different editions of Windows 7! :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update: How to create bootable ISO without UltraISO

Well, here's the non-lazy method for step 6. You need a tool called Oscdimg.exe, which is also part of Windows Automated Installation Kit for Windows 7. You can find it inside the same ImageX download from above (click).

MS have a good explanation of the switches here.

Here's the command you need:

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\oscdimg.exe" -lGRMCULFRER_EN_DVD -m -u2 -bD:\x86\boot\etfsboot.com D:\x86\ D:\Windows7AIO.iso

Basically translates as: oscdimg, [options], [Path to source], [Target file]

Soldato
must have done something wrong but it shows all versions of the x86 one but only professional on the x64 version ?

Something to do with deleting the ei.cfg file ???

all you had to do was delete the file. if you didn't do that properly you wouldn't even get the selection screen.

i can only assume the 4 steps where you actually run the imagex command line thingy for each edition went wrong somewhere??

Soldato
all you had to do was delete the file. if you didn't do that properly you wouldn't even get the selection screen.

i can only assume the 4 steps where you actually run the imagex command line thingy for each edition went wrong somewhere??

ahh I only ran the imagex thing once, was I suppose to run it per edition ?

Associate
Thank you so much, it is an excellent guide. However, I ran into certain problems. I was following the guide on the RTM version of Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I downloaded the ImageX.rar from the link you gave.

When I try to execute the imagex.exe from the amd64 folder, I get an error saying that "It is not a valid win32 application". I have ensured that my command window is Administrator mode, and that my OS itself is 64bit. I wonder why I am getting such an error.

Hence, I used the imagex.exe in the x86 folder. That worked fine, I was able to follow all your instructions. My final ISO size is 3.67GB. Also, the image iso when booted in VirtualBox looks exactly like your screenshot. I wonder if there is any problem when using x86 imagex.exe on 64bit ISO?

Can you please the SHA1SUM of your AIO iso, so that we can compare it as a reference? I know that sha1sum changes even for slight change in the file, but at least if you put up your hash, we can try comparing.

Thanks!

Associate
When I try to execute the imagex.exe from the amd64 folder, I get an error saying that "It is not a valid win32 application". I have ensured that my command window is Administrator mode, and that my OS itself is 64bit. I wonder why I am getting such an error.

Hence, I used the imagex.exe in the x86 folder. That worked fine,

i had the exact same problem

Soldato
Can you please the SHA1SUM of your AIO iso, so that we can compare it as a reference? I know that sha1sum changes even for slight change in the file, but at least if you put up your hash, we can try comparing.

the original install.wim that gets modified will have a different timestamp so no one will have the same sha1 hash.

Soldato
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm curious if anybody wants to know how to create a USB hard drive with XP, Vista and 7 installers on it? If so, I can post a new thread - but I don't want to spend ages formatting it if nobody would find it useful...

Associate
OP
These are the hash values for my ISO, but as Marc says your ISO will have a different timestamp:

CRC32: 45762829
MD5: 36EB9D56CEADF3B043F3E2C7DCEFA136
SHA1: 486BB909A8C559B56AFB5E74BD2A1D0F8F40ED73

rohandhruva said:

DJDaz said:
worked a treat although i had to use the x86 version of imagex for some reason even though i'm using a 64bit os

Strange. The only thing I can think of is that the ImageX link I posted is from the Windows 7 AIK RC. As it turns out, Microsoft released the final version of Windows 7 AIK yesterday: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=696dd665-9f76-4177-a811-39c26d3b3b34

For reference, I was using Windows 7 RC 64bit as my OS when making the combined DVD. If you have the bandwidth and time, I would suggest that you download and install Windows 7 AIK and see if that helps. I doubt it will make any difference though.

Bottom line: As long as the ISO is working in VirtualBox then ImageX has done its job, I wouldn't worry too much about whether you used the 32 bit or 64 bit version of ImageX. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you. I have no intention of downloading the complete AIK just for two exes :) As you said, since the iso works fine, I will go ahead and burn it onto a DVD.

Saundie, it would be great if you post the instructions - I am curious to see how it is done.

Back
Top Bottom