The Nokia E71 thread

Soldato
Does anybody know if it's possible to create multiple contact lists?

One for personal and another for work.

I installed windows live and have a "Phone" and "Windows Live" contact lists.

I use GooSync to sync my calender with Google and just regular SyncML to sync my contact lists but would be good to have a work contact list and able to sync that too.

Soldato
Thanks for the heads up on the firmware, going to give it a bash now.

I have the same thing on live and normal contacts, perhaps linking the phone to PC suite would provide a method to create another one? Have you tried using the switch profile option too? Don't think it'd work but worth a go.

EDIT: Just realised I'm stuck on the darn 3 branded firmware, which is same as the vanilla release! I doubt they're going to modify the latest, so I might have to consider voiding the warranty and changing the product code. Has anyone changed their product code here? The current software can lag and freeze, particularly in the menus, and I've found it reboots every now and again, I really need to update it, but I'd rather not void the warranty as it's still pretty new. Can the product code be changed back and software flashed to 3 indistinguishably?

Last edited:
Associate
Got the e71 about a week ago - and must say its an amazing phone.

No issues with this at all, amazing battery life considering what the phone is capable of.

any apps you would recommend for this??

Associate

Has anyone changed their product code here? The current software can lag and freeze, particularly in the menus, and I've found it reboots every now and again, I really need to update it, but I'd rather not void the warranty as it's still pretty new. Can the product code be changed back and software flashed to 3 indistinguishably?

Flashed my E71 about a week after getting it with no problems. Much better than the 3 firmware version.

As for voiding your warranty, I didn't have any problems when my volume keys stopped working. 3 told me to take it to my local Nokia service centre, they sent it to Germany to be fixed, had it back three days later with the same unbranded firmware.

Associate
Does anybody know if it's possible to create multiple contact lists?

One for personal and another for work.

I installed windows live and have a "Phone" and "Windows Live" contact lists.

I use GooSync to sync my calender with Google and just regular SyncML to sync my contact lists but would be good to have a work contact list and able to sync that too.

Can't you create different groups in the contacts page and then add who you like?

Soldato

I have the same thing on live and normal contacts, perhaps linking the phone to PC suite would provide a method to create another one? Have you tried using the switch profile option too? Don't think it'd work but worth a go.

EDIT: Just realised I'm stuck on the darn 3 branded firmware, which is same as the vanilla release! I doubt they're going to modify the latest, so I might have to consider voiding the warranty and changing the product code. Has anyone changed their product code here? The current software can lag and freeze, particularly in the menus, and I've found it reboots every now and again, I really need to update it, but I'd rather not void the warranty as it's still pretty new. Can the product code be changed back and software flashed to 3 indistinguishably?

I'd also be interested in the answer although to be fair my phone does work without any issues *touchwood*

Soldato
Right, so I've debranded the phone using the EURO1 code, then updated to the latest firmware and changed the product code back to the original. All I can say is what a VAST improvement the latest firmware is over the original firmware that came with the phone is. I believe what was on before was the phone initial release firmware. The handset is SO much more responsive, and loss of the branding and some other locks is particularly useful.

I'm just putting software back on, hope that I can still access planet 3 and get skype on here again, though i'm sure it's freely available anyway. Should I need to update my 3 MMS and access point settings? They've remained on the handset, and it appears to be working fine so far.

All in all, I recommend debranding to anyone who's stuck on the release firmware, as the new one is just miles ahead, and will enrich your E71 experience!

EDIT: Just tried the GPS, its working about 3 times better than before, much more signal strength and way faster to lock on.

Last edited:
Soldato
When I check the current firmware on my phone (by doing *#0000#) I get a screen that looks like:

08-06-2008
RM-346
© Nokia E71-1 (241.02)

Is that very old?
I honestly can't find a problem with my phone, it is reponsive, gps works great (Garmin Mobile XT), battery lasts ages, always have good signal and I'm on Three

Don't want to risk stuffing it up if everything is working fine but then at the same time, something in me always needs to have the latest versions of software - aaaarg dilemma

Soldato
That was the release branded three software that I was running and it was **** for me, especially now compared to the latest release. 300.21.012 is the latest release. Your phone product code is probably the same as mine on three, so to upgrade you'd have to change it, but it's very easy to do. I changed mine back once it's been flashed, so it still reads as 3 software. Only issue I've had, which I knew before flashing, is that the direct download of the live messenger from 3 won't work due to a missing browser certificate. Everything else I've tried works fine though, and I'm sure there's a workaround for messenger, but I don't really use it anyway.

Soldato
Do you have a link with instructions that you followed please? This code unlocking/debranding/firmware upgrading is all a bit over my head atm as it's new to me.

So since you upgraded, it retained all your settings like access points etc? essentially nothing changed except you got latest version of firmware now and everything on Three still works and is accessible? (except the certificate thing you mentioned)

Would my installed applications still work like Garmin XT, Handy Alarm Pro and Profile Scheduler still work afterwards? This is what I am most concerned about tbh (that and bricking the phone)

Soldato
Unfortunately oxide, you should expect to lose all your settings and apps when you reinstall the firmware as this nokia phone doesn't yet support data preservation. However, you can back up the phone contents using nokia pc suite (which I strongly recommend!). Make sure you've removed any apps installed on your memory card first too. I took my memory card out for the process just to be safe aswell. I then restored factory settings on the phone to eliminate any potential issues there.

Go here for a guide. (Mods please edit if this contravenes the rules of the forum.)

When I'd flashed I changed the code back too. I didn't lose my 3 access point settings somehow, no, but lost all my apps in the phone memory (though they're backed up of course, and can redownload quite easily). Live messenger can't be downloaded directly, and I lost the 3 quicklinks etc too, but no great loss. Planet3 still works fine if you navigate to it in the browser, and the skype download is unaffected.

The apps you listed, as long as you have them backed up, should be able to be restored afterwards, but they will probably not be retained through the flashing process. The only thing I restored from PC suite back to the phone was contacts. Restoring settings should not be attempted as it can cause big problems when the firmware is so different.

I've noticed a massive improvement in phone responsiveness, and a few new features, plus the camera has improved too, and the GPS is working miles better for me now.

It's fine, and a good process to go through to get the most from the handset, but don't do it if the instructions on that site are too advanced for you (shouldn't be!). Just please PLEASE backup everything first, including themes, sounds, everything!

Hope that helps mate.

Soldato
alexhull24 you rock! Thanks for the info. I'm going to have more inner dialogue with myself and decide if I want to proceed over the weekend but if I do, that link you provided is perfect :)

Soldato
That's OK, I know the feeling. I was feeling a little happy-go-lucky yesterday and took the plunge, and I'm glad I did. What really helped me decide was the chap above and someone on another forum who said they'd had theirs to 3 and a nokia repair centre with their own firmware, and both had come back untouched and no mention it wasn't the shipped version. Of course, I've changed the code back, so it's just a flash away if I need it too.

Good luck if you go through with it.

Associate
Just had O2 ring me up today saying im due for upgrade which im not. Got the n95 8gb till 2010 august! I am just going along with it atm :rolleyes: They offered me the E71 with 400 mins 500 txts for £25.00 but i was kinda hopeing to do better then that. If they chunked in free Unlimited web bolt on then yes i would take it. Im just waiting for the phone call back at 3.00pm today. wish me luck!!!

Soldato
Just had O2 ring me up today saying im due for upgrade which im not. Got the n95 8gb till 2010 august! I am just going along with it atm :rolleyes: They offered me the E71 with 400 mins 500 txts for £25.00 but i was kinda hopeing to do better then that. If they chunked in free Unlimited web bolt on then yes i would take it. Im just waiting for the phone call back at 3.00pm today. wish me luck!!!

I'd call them because it probably wasn't O2 who called you but someone else claiming to be O2. The networks don't call you to tell you you are eligable for an upgrade.

Associate
yee just after i wrote my post i thought hang on somethings not quite right here, checked with O2- they never rang me! owe well another year with the n95 cnt be all that bad :p

Soldato
Hi all,

Picked up my E71 the other day. Really like it although typing on the pad seems a pain.

Wanted to ask how many days do you get out of your E71?

Also, am I suppose to charge the battery straight away? If not, will it be a problem?

Associate
Hi all,

Picked up my E71 the other day. Really like it although typing on the pad seems a pain.

Wanted to ask how many days do you get out of your E71?

Also, am I suppose to charge the battery straight away? If not, will it be a problem?

The keypad you will get used to, what type of phone have you moved from?

And regards battery life, this phone is amazing - i charge mine up twice a week and that with regular WIFI use atleast 30min+ a day dor intenet + email.

Back
Top Bottom