Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Update on spoiler tags for the 2AM showing

The mod team have discussed the issues raised by members about spoiler tags and we have decided the following:

1. Spoiler tags are NOT REQUIRED when discussing shows that have aired in the UK already, INCLUDING the 2AM showing on Sunday nights/Monday mornings.
  2. Spoiler tags whilst discussing book spoilers, casting spoilers and anything other than events that have occurred in an episode that has aired in the UK are STILL REQUIRED. You should also indicate the nature of the spoiler (e.g. book spoiler, casting spoiler, etc).

It is known;
THIS THREAD NOW CONTAINS DISCUSION OF EPISODES THAT HAVE AIRED IN THE UK ONLY. FOR FUTURE STORY DISCUSSION PLEASE SEE THIS THREAD;

songoficeandfire200x297.jpg

WTF:
A Game of Thrones is a planned medieval fantasy television series based on author George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. David Benioff and Dan Weiss are writing and producing the television adaptation. A ten episode season is currently being produced for HBO.

The books the TV show is based on are as follows:
* A Game of Thrones (1996)
* A Clash of Kings (1998)
* A Storm of Swords (2000)
* A Feast for Crows (2005)
* A Dance with Dragons (2011)
* The Winds of Winter (forthcoming)
* A Dream of Spring (forthcoming)

History of the project:
Variety reported on 17 January 2007 that the rights for A Song of Ice and Fire have been sold to HBO with the intent of turning the novels into a television series. Written and executive produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, the series is expected to cover one novel’s worth of material per season. Martin plans to co-executive produce the series and is expected to write one episode per season. The series is to be filmed in Northern Ireland. Martin reported in August 2007 that the first draft of the script was complete and stated in November that the script was approved and budgeting had begun. At this point the series had still not been officially greenlit, and the 2007 Writers Guild of America strike could have delayed the process.

In April 2008 David Benioff confirmed that development of the script and series was continuing. He suggested a ‘crappy’ tagline for the project could be, “The Sopranos in Middle-earth.” In June, Martin reported in his blog that the second draft of the script was complete, but again a final decision had not been made. If the series were to go ahead, the BBC would also be financially involved much as they were for the HBO series Rome.

In September 2008, according to Martin's not-a-blog, HBO exercised its option to buy the television rights to produce A Game of Thrones. Martin is quick to point out the project has still not been greenlit, but it is an encouraging first step. In November, Variety reported that HBO has committed to filming a pilot episode before a decision is made in regards to filming the entire first book of the series.

In May 2009, Martin's not-a-blog, announced that HBO has selected actor/ director Tom McCarthy as director of the Game Of Thrones pilot. Also, the first cast member, Peter Dinklage, has been cast as Tyrion Lannister. McCarthy and Dinklage previously worked together on "The Station Agent." The pilot episode will be shot in and around Belfast in Northern Ireland during the fourth quarter of 2009.

The setting:
The story of A Song of Ice and Fire takes place in a fictional world, primarily upon a continent called Westeros but also on a large landmass to the east, known as Essos. Most of the characters are human but as the series progresses other races are introduced, such as the cold and menacing Others from the far North and fire-breathing dragons from the East, both races thought to be extinct by the people of the story. There are three principal storylines in the series: the chronicling of a dynastic civil war for control of Westeros between several competing families; the rising threat of the Others who dwell beyond an immense wall of ice that forms Westeros' northern border; and the journey of Daenerys Targaryen, the exiled daughter of a king who was murdered in another civil war fifteen years previously (War of the Usurper) and now seeks to return to Westeros and claim her rightful throne. As the series progresses, all three storylines become intensely interwoven and dependent on each other.

The Cast:

gotcastsofar3.jpg

EDIT: As you no doubt noticed both Jennifer Erhl (Catelyn Stark) and Tamzin Merchant (Daenerys Targaryen) have been replaced by Michelle Fairley and Emilia Clarke respectively. Their scenes in the pilot have been re-shot with the new actors.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've never read the books (get frustrated if I have to wait for books to be written halfway through the series) how can they base the series on books that haven't been written yet though?

Soldato
OP
Will be looking forward to this as I love the books and HBO generally produce high quality tv.

Yeah I agree and there seems to be quite a bit of buzz around the project which hopefully increases its chances of getting picked up.

There should be more casting news later this week. I love all the cast so far apart from maybe Robert... not quite how I pictured him from the books to be honest.

Soldato
OP
I've never read the books (get frustrated if I have to wait for books to be written halfway through the series) how can they base the series on books that haven't been written yet though?

Each book is meant to be a season long. Its hoped he will be finished by then. Book 4 and 5 (the one just around the corner) have been very difficult for him to write as the scope of the story at this point is just huge. With the last two books its meant to become more stream lined and so faster to write as multiple story strands start coming together.

Caporegime
Awesome, might start reading it and watch the show at the same time then. HBO series are pretty good from my experience, be good to have some more quality fantasy on TV.

Soldato
OP
Updated main post; one of the most important roles Catelyn Stark has been cast!

mainzyb.png

Jennifer Ehle as Cateyln Stark

"Most of you will know her best from her portrayal of Elizabeth Bennet in the BBC's miniseries of PRIDE AND PREJUDICE in 1995, but she's got all sorts of other credits, she's won a BAFTA Award and two Tonys, and she will be a wonderful Catelyn." GRRM

Last edited:
Associate
could go either way really, excellent source material but could get seriously lost in translation if they try to tone down the more brutal parts of the books.

Soldato
OP
Sorry for the late reply. Its in pre-production right now with filming for the pilot due in a week or so I believe. If HBO pick it up (which looks likely with the talent involved) then it will most likely air next year.

Two more important cast members updated on the first post. Rory McCann as The Hound and Lena Headley (the star of The Sarah Connor Chronicles) as Cersei. Can't wait! :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The good bit is the fact that it's HBO, which means they won't tone it down. But this bit worries me:

Martin plans to co-executive produce the series and is expected to write one episode per season.

Finish the **** series already!! He's till got at least two books to write (I'm assuming that number five is about finished) and it takes him about three years to do each one at the moment. And he's not a young man.

M

Soldato
OP
The good bit is the fact that it's HBO, which means they won't tone it down. But this bit worries me:

Finish the **** series already!! He's till got at least two books to write (I'm assuming that number five is about finished) and it takes him about three years to do each one at the moment. And he's not a young man.

M

I know what you mean I've just finished "A Feast For The Crows" last night and am desperate to read the next book. I also want to go back to the first book to pick up on all the references I missed the first time because so many characters were introduced at once!

Loving the story though and think this has the potential to be up there with shows like Lost and 24 for brilliance.

edit: Oh and we may have found The Mountain That Rides:
7 foot tall Australian actor/bodybuilder Conan Stevens recently posted on his blog that he has lined up an audition in an American TV series. He doesn't mention Game of Thrones specifically but he has expressed an interest in the project before. Also, a commenter with a reliable source, has stated that Stevens is, in fact, referring to Thrones in this post.

Last edited:
Soldato
Right, haven't even look at the thread as I've only just finished 'A Game of Thrones' and will be starting 'A Clash of Kings' as soon as I manage to put down 'Day of the Dragon' (Richard A. Knaak & the Warcraft Lore is general are just superb)...

...apologies, side tracked.

Will avoid the series entirely till I've finished the 4 other books that are sat on my shelf. Really want to avoid the possible spoilers in the thread (add to thread title - mod?) - Judging by the end of the first book 'A Song of Fire & Ice' is shaping up to be a epic story.

There's a game planned for the franchise as well.

Thanks to all those for the recommendation in a thread of mine a while ago, brilliant book.

Soldato
OP
I really would love to read the books first but I can't stand waiting for an author to finish a series so I may just watch this then read them when it's done.

I think its better to read the books first mate because you know when the TV show is on people will be saying about the eventual fate of different characters etc. Its not too bad jumping in as the story is still unfolding.. take Lost or Babylon 5 for example.

Soldato
OP
Sorry about the lack of updates. Stargates Jason Momoa has been cast as Khal Drogo.

All the initial filming has been done and its now in post production. Still awaiting the full season order which will be decided March. All signs so far though have been very, very positive. There is a lot of hype for this show before its even aired its first episode.. similar to Lost I guess!

Soldato
I really would love to read the books first but I can't stand waiting for an author to finish a series so I may just watch this then read them when it's done.

I think you'll be waiting a long long time. Seriously, just read the ones out there, totally worth it. Maybe stop before 'A Feast for Crows', as its kinda half a book. Very hopeful about the new series, I've been following the casting on GRRM's 'Not A Blog' for ages, looks spot on.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Aye I'll second that. No different than watching TV shows year after year that have a continuing story line. Though I will admit the auther does seem to appear to be less enthusiastic about the series now... This next book has been in the works forever!

Back
Top Bottom