Car/Bike Licence etc

Associate
I'm 21, have a full manual car licence (garnished :rolleyes: ), I'm now looking at a bike (again), something like a Ninja 250R, seems to be recommended for beginners, and has sweet MPG - My car is high performance, but I'm strapped for cash because of petrol, I've resorted to tailing lorries close, "drafting", to really wring out my tank :(

Anyway, do I need to take direct-access or CBT or whatever to ride a 250cc? Last I looked I was 19, so I had to take CBT to ride upto 125cc, then have 2 years experience before getting something bigger, or go direct access at 21. I'm now 21, so does CBT still apply to me? Is there still the 125cc limit? Does my having a full car licence give me any kind of bonus?

Just need someone to explain it all to me please :p

Caporegime
You seem to be geiitng confused slightly (I think). The CBT is a one day course that will allow you to ride a 50cc bike (scooter, and i think it's measured at something like a max of 3bhp or something stupid). What you are thinking of is the A1 (I think) course, which is practically the same as the Direct access course (except you ride a bike of 33BHP instead of bigger). That allows you to ride any bike that is 33bhp or lower, which can be a bigger bike restricted, so technically any bike. In reality however you don't want to restrict a big bike so usually people either go for a 250cc or a 400cc bike. The 400cc's you can get either something like the NC400 or a more race style bike such as the NC35, however these are quite rare now and you'll have to buy second hand as most were grey imports from years ago.

This could all be wrong however as it's from memory from around 5 years ago. :)

EDIT: Just looking at that Ninja 250R, looks really nice, and it's nice to see them filling the learner/starter gap. That wasn't around when I was looking! *ponders getting a bike licence again...*

Soldato
Amp34, CBT allows you to ride upto 125cc (14bhp now?), only 50cc if you're 16,

A1 Course as mentioned allows you to ride anything that is upto or restricted to 33bhp,

Personally I'd do the full DAS course as you're 21 though, this would give you an unrestricted licence for later, when you realise a 250 is never gonna be quick enough :p

the full licences have also changed now into 'module 1' and 'module 2', module 2 is similar to the old test, so riding on the road, module 1 is doing a set course around cones, including stuff like the emergency stop etc.

So:

CBT first,
Theory,
Module 1 (apparantly needs about 2 days of training)
Module 2 (another 2 days of training beforehand)
Enjoy :)

Caporegime
I didn't realise that about the CBT, I assume that's not a new thing? When I was 17 or so I was thinking about geting a 125 but baulked at the cost of a full A1 licence. :confused:

And I really should read the post, I thought you weren't 21 yet... So as SKILL says do the DA, you don't need to drive a massive bike to begin with and that way you won't have to worry about 33bhp if you do want to get a bigger bike (some 250 enduro bikes are way over 33bhp for example)

Soldato
A1 license is just like a CBT that doesn't run out and no L-plates (i.e. pointless), NOT 33bhp. It's still a limit of 14.6bhp (10kW).

A2 is the 33bhp for 2 years and then full there after if under 21, at which point it is just referred to as an "A" license.

If you're 21 or over you can just do the full "A" license straight away.

Soldato
As is a CG125 but the CG is faster than the 250 due to it not being a porky bike with a feeble engine.;)

Unlikely. It has about 3x the power but it certainly doesn't weigh even 2x as much. I think they should have made it dead on the limit of 25kW (33bhp) instead of about 30bhp but it's a minor niggle. If you're referring to the fact that the old Ninja 250R makes about 45bhp, it's been purposely put down so that A2 license holders can use it it's not because they "couldn't" get more power out of it.

Caporegime
A1 license is just like a CBT that doesn't run out and no L-plates (i.e. pointless), NOT 33bhp. It's still a limit of 14.6bhp (10kW).

A2 is the 33bhp for 2 years and then full there after if under 21, at which point it is just referred to as an "A" license.

If you're 21 or over you can just do the full "A" license straight away.

That certainly wasn't what I looked into a few years ago (ok 6:p) unless I got it totallt wrong. You had A1 that was 33bhp which had to be taken by under 21's, that was the step up from CBT and then direct access which was any bike after 21 (with A1 converting to after 2 years). In fact I just found a price list from when I looked and that shows only CBT, A1 where you have to do your test on a bike of at least 25bhp (but less than 33bhp) and direct access where you have to take the test on a bike larger than 46.6bhp. I guess it's changed since I looked at the courses (which I did say was 5+ years ago!:p)

Associate
OP
LOL, funny you should mention that, I got a quote for myself on the 250r, new rider no experience etc etc, £500p.a. That may seem a lot, but I'm currently paying over £2k for my car :rolleyes:

And my dad, who's also interested, in the same situation new rider etc, got a quote of £98/year lol!!

Now, all I need to know is a ballpark figure for the direct access tuition. I've heard something like £400, is this about right?

Thanks, I'm getting quite excited now lol! :D

Soldato
LOL, funny you should mention that, I got a quote for myself on the 250r, new rider no experience etc etc, £500p.a. That may seem a lot, but I'm currently paying over £2k for my car :rolleyes:

And my dad, who's also interested, in the same situation new rider etc, got a quote of £98/year lol!!

Try a CG, TPO will be sub £200 for a new rider...

Now, all I need to know is a ballpark figure for the direct access tuition. I've heard something like £400, is this about right?

Thanks, I'm getting quite excited now lol! :D

Probably more like the £5-700 region, plus then you're gonna want £4-600 for gear and obviously the bike+insurance after that...

Associate
OP
CG? TPO? Are they advanced riding tuition or something?

And I was aware of the gear etc, its all good

EDIT: Ah, TPO third party only, That quote was TPFT for £500 for me, what's CG though??

Just got another quote, to TPO, and it only went down £100 from TPFT, so for the extra cover, think I'll stay TPFT.

Last edited:
Associate
It is madness to have a motorcycle without theft cover unless its a shed. Sadly, many get stolen.
And even if they are a heap like my Suzuki adding fire&theft takes my quote from £120pa all the way up to a heady £140pa with a £100 deductable. Might as well.

Cyberstrike2027 said:
EDIT: Ah, TPO third party only, That quote was TPFT for £500 for me, what's CG though??
It's a loathesome little honda motorbike that most training centres use to teach the CBT on. Cheap insurance because, really, who would steal one? :p

Back
Top Bottom